🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Ungoliath = It?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Just a thought, but what do you think? Is Stephen Kings It, inspired by the creature of Ungoliath?
Both evil, spider-like forms.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I may be really confused, but I thought "It" was about a clown... I saw the movie, I didin't read the book, so that might explain it.:confused:

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Compared to the book, the movie su**ed. But I'm quite sure that at the end even in the movie showed It as a (cardboard) spiderlike creature.

In the book, the idea was that the human mind portrayed It, when it had no longer the cover of Its disguises (like the clown and the werewolf), as a giant spider.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try reading it some time. I'm not a big fan of Stephan King, and i only saw the movie because...well... i don't remember why I saw it. That was a long time ago.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
If you like a long and exciting story, It will be a thrill to read. But that happens to be my own opinion.
We could have a vote on it:

Who doesn't like the book, Stephen Kings 'It'?

**silence**

Well, it looks like everybody likes it here. But of course, we're the only one around, and you do not have an opinion on the book yet.:D

Lillyaundra

the watcher of all things
Reaction score
a deep dark place where no one can find me!
Definately read the books! They are the best. Don't be afraid to read the books again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and well you get the point.

Enjoy!!

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I'll start reading it tomorrow! hmmm...I guess that would be later today... I just finished Cannibals and Kings (not very exciting). So I need a new book!:) I love starting new books!

Lorien

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe King was inspired by the thought of Ungoliant-like creature as the "final creature" which the loser's club has to face.....

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Sounds good, I don't know. It was that kind of thought that pops up when you're doing something completely different. ;)

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I just started reading it yesterday, and it is already scary!:eek:
i like it a lot!:D I never did like clowns... poor Georgie...and poor everyone in that book!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Great!
It is scary. I couldn't stop reading until someone was either caught or got away clean, I felt the tension so good during reading.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I stayed up almost all night last night reading it. I bet you can guess why i couldn't sleep! I have never been so scared from a book in my life! honestly! This morning in the shower I kept thinking there was something talking from the drain, and I kept thinking "No! I don't want to float!"
Yeah, I know, I have an over active imagination!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
O boy. Last time I had something like that was when I read 1984 when visiting London. The combination of the atmosphere of the London City and this story gave me the creeps.

Sorry to have gotten you into this mess.;)

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I would have been scared too! did you cry when you read 1984? I did a lot at the end... It was just so sad that he finally gave in. I wanted a happy ending!:(
I like scary books though!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Courtney!

No, I didn't cry. Somehow I expected an ending like that. Too much nazi-films I guess. I felt paranoid when walking the empty dark streets of London. It really got to me there.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I have never been to London... never been out of the US. I'm at the part right now where they are all going back to Derry and keep remembering stuff. They built the dam too. It's not scary while I read it, but when it is dark and I can't sleep, it gets pretty scary!
(And, I had a great birthday, thanks!)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
It is a creep isn't it.;)

I shouldn't be on this forum right now, to much e-mail I should be answering.:eek:

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I don't get any decent e-mail, all i ever get are forwards!:(
I haven't had any time to read today, i have had band practice since after school!

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I just got to the part where Bev is all happy and they had a great day and then, she got home, looks in the sink and there are voices of people she knows, and blood shoots out. I read that right before getting ready for bed! So I made my sister come with me in the bathroom while i washed my face and brushed my teeth, because I was too scared to go by myself!
I've never read any thing by Stephan King before so I'm really not used to books being this scary...

Thread suggestions