🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Update on the Tolkien Biopic

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Please be good.
Second that!

The focus appears to be the love story between him and Edith, so I don't know how great a part his religious faith will play into the story.

There a cast list here:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3361792/

I see Colm Meaney will play Father Francis; considering Tolkien's great respect for, and gratitude towards, the man, I hope they resisted the temptation to turn him into some kind of ogre, just to fulfill the movie trope need for a villain.

Last edited:

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
The focus appears to be the love story between him and Edith, so I don't know how great a part his religious faith will play into the story.
A lot, considering it was a courtship and it was a devout Catholic priest who gave him the advice to hold off on seeing her till he was of age.

I see Colm Meany will play Father Francis; considering Tolkien's great respect for, and gratitude towards, the man, I hope they resisted the temptation to turn him into some kind of ogre, just to fulfill the movie trope need for a villain
Again, see Catholic Priest.

CL

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I meant of course the movie story, rather than Tolkien's real-life story.

I see there are some young actors cast as "young Tolkien" and friends, so it appears there will be some reaching back. Also forward, as another young actor is cast as Christopher Tolkien. The movie seems to be all over the place, chronologically.

There's another short article here that gave me pause:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2019/01/lily-collins-nicholas-hoult-tolkien-movie-may-release-date-lord-of-the-rings-1202537025/amp/

"A group of fellow outcasts"? I never got that impression. Where did that come from?

Well, we shall see.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
Is like they're all looking at me going: "Sup mate" lol

Bad ass pics, appreciate it.

Hey nothing wrong with being a nerd or geek or whatever, if it wasn't for them we all be pretty dam bored don't you agree?.

Btw, where are they in the 1st pic?.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score

Miguel

Reaction score

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Here's the trailer:

A bit off topic, but I'm reminded of another biopic, of another fantasy writer. That one was made on a small budget, and couldn't afford to invoke the fantasy scenes in any way, except through sound; but that was very well handled, IMO.

It received little promotion or distribution, but is well worth searching out. I found a copy in a Walmart $5 bin, a number of years ago.

Last edited:

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of Thomas Wolfe...Ofc not the genre but the spirit, the passion...

Wolfe is one of my favorite American novelists...Look Homeward Angel is stunning

Thread suggestions