🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Utumno

A

Aldarion

Is that map from A Tolkien Bestiary by David Day?

Cuiviénen is located to the north and east of Middle-earth and Utumno is likewise in the north as described early in the Silmarillion

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
Have you read Karen Wynn Fonstad's 'The Atlas of Middle-Earth'?
This has a very good map of the first age showing everything from Utumno to Cuivienenn to Taniquetil in Valinor.
It also has a diagram showing the location of Utumno during the time of the two pillars of light - Illuin and Ormal.
In the second diagram, the ruins of Utumno are placed just north of the middle of the Ered Engrin (Iron Mountains) which stretched from Beleriand in the West to the Orcarni (Mountains of the East - whose southourn tip was close to Cuivienen).

If you look at a map of Middle Earth in the Third age, it places the ruins of Utumno somewhere directly north of Eriador, and probably submerged under water in the 'Ice Bay' just south of the Cpae of Forochel.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Flame of Utumno
Have you read Karen Wynn Fonstad's 'The Atlas of Middle-Earth'?
This has a very good map of the first age showing everything from Utumno to Cuivienenn to Taniquetil in Valinor.
It also has a diagram showing the location of Utumno during the time of the two pillars of light - Illuin and Ormal.
In the second diagram, the ruins of Utumno are placed just north of the middle of the Ered Engrin (Iron Mountains) which stretched from Beleriand in the West to the Orcarni (Mountains of the East - whose southourn tip was close to Cuivienen).

If you look at a map of Middle Earth in the Third age, it places the ruins of Utumno somewhere directly north of Eriador, and probably submerged under water in the 'Ice Bay' just south of the Cpae of Forochel.

Look here for a great map of all of arda
numenore, M.E BELERIAND AND M.E now and Valinor.

Bucky

Reaction score
I couldn't bring up that site.

But, they didn't have any map like those at 'The Encyclopedia of Arda' site, did they?
I always wondered where The Red Mountains were & the Sea of Helcar, etc.

BTW, are these maps from Tolkien's drawings, specifications or descriptions?

Or are they just somebody's guesses?

BluestEye

Reaction score
Great, Menchu, this is a great map indeed!
Well, Kraas, you can see "Utumno" written not far to the east of the lamp of Illuin.

BluestEye

Gareth

Reaction score
Speaking of maps, could you guys give
me some links to sites with decent maps,
especilly Valinor

menchu

Reaction score
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
Yeah that map i found was the best map of m.e i have seen
Beleg, I hope you didn't get angry, cause I DO KNOW you were the "discoverer" of the site... :)

menchu

Reaction score
*Menchu smiles back and they shake hands* :D

Gareth

Reaction score
Those sites were ok, but the maps on one
were really fuzzy.I need to keep searching.

Thread suggestions