🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Wanderer Lost III

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Her question came abruptly, and he did not expect for her to allow a lesser woman to read such an important letter. The two mashed together and confused him and so he had to make a quick decision and it was to to lie. Her question though reasonable was out of place within the scheme of things and he suspected its intent. Anna read the letter and looked at the Princess with questioning eyes. He thought it best to perhaps over-react to such a slight of honor. He leaned forward and tossed his lap cloth onto the table. He was truely annoyed and so his words conveyed that emote. "Mylady, I have served with my friend in mylord's guard...we faced life and death together. He has been blessed with a fine family. I have not and so I have continued to servedin some capacity. I had been home scantly a day before I was given the message." He stood up quickly. "Though I see that it does not bear good news, I have completed my task. If it pleases mylady, I shall take my leave for I have a long ride for the return."

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Letting out a held breath, the princess’ head lowered at his reaction. Sorrow came to her voice as she excepted the letter back from Anna. “Forgive me my lord.” She stayed seated, in part for being able to hide her hands from his view as they shook lightly. Slowly she brought her eyes up, almost wishing she hadn’t as she caught another glimpse of something strange behind his dark eyes. The same chill ran down her spine. But once she had broken from them, she could only glance away for a little while before looking back; the moment taken in reassuring Anna that she was alright. They had been put together at a young age, quickly becoming fast friends and keeping very few things one from the other. Only Katrina had been closer to the princess, but the space between them had been hard. Anna, almost always at her side, had come to know Daelin well enough to work out her thoughts and wishes by her expressions. Now, the maid’s eyes were turned from the man as she watched her lady.

Wanting to blame it on tiredness or even the wine she had hardly touched, she could hardly believe how she let her mind spin. If not for her trusting Katrina greatly, if it had come from any other, she would not believe the words that now raced through her thoughts. “Please my lord, it would please me more if you would perhaps consider staying for a time.” Even as she tried not to show it, a soft blush crept across the tops of Daelin’s cheeks, but her blue-green eyes kept a steady gaze on the man’s face.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
His face showed signs of aggitation and also exhibited a pale shade of pink in his cheeks and neck. He raised a brow at her mention and nodded. "As you wish." Smoothly, he sat back down and resumed his grasp upon his wine glass. With his other hand he placed his lap cloth back into his lap and smelled the sweet aroma of the wine. He felt somewhat awkward and so he decided to stay silent for a time, and nibble on some more of the food that was in front of him.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
"It would seem-" Daelin's voice was a lightly shaken calm as she looked back at the letter to keep her eyes from his. "-that you were well trusted with the delivery of this letter, but I'm afraid that what it holds has bothered me somewhat, and because of it I have not given you proper thanks for the completion of such a mission." Looking up to Anna, the princess gestured slightly to her who, after nodding obediently, stood and slipped from the room.

"As has been said, you are welcome to rest here as long as needed. The gardens are always open to those that stay here, a fine place to breath at any time; and you only need ask any of the servants if you have need of anything." Daelin had moved her gaze back up to him as she spoke. Looking over his face, she kept one ear open for Anna's return. It would only take a moment for someone to be sent to better prepare a room for this man. Deep ocean eyes traced the lines of his face as her thoughts began to wander once more without her consent before she tried to move them down to the letter.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
As Anna returned, Denath stood in respect to her presence. As he did, he took up his lap cloth in his hand and waited. He noticed how bright some of the larger flowers were that were arranged within a vase upon the table. The color in them captivated him for a moment and he wished he could drown within their soft, bright petals. "Upper North, The Gray has been prepared for him...Is he not beautiful mylady?" She whispered into her ear with pink cheeks. She refused to look up at him and she knew full well she was out of line with her lady but she said it anyway. A slight devilish grin slid on and off her face as she awaited her next request.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Golden hair slipped around Daelin's face as she lowered her head, hiding the color of her blushed skin just long enough to let it fade back as it had been. Sparkling eyes fixed on Anna's down turned face with a slightly scolding note as she stood. "Again, lord Lamosa, I thank you for coming so far to bring me this." She watched him as he looked at the flowers. He seeming to be lost in the lightly scented petals, almost as though he'd not seen such a thing before. Forming and being spoken before it had much of a chance to be thought over, she found herself looking into his face once more as she asked. "Might you like to see the gardens? There are so many other things to be found out there..."

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Truely he was fatigued from the many long days of riding. However, the gentle breeze and the warmth of the sun gave him reason to think on her words. His gaze moved to her eyes and silently, he drank upon her beauty as he had the flowers before him. He paused a moment and time slowed down for him. The sun caught her hair just right and it shined brighter then any amount of gold he could remember. Anna caught how the two looked at each other and a smile came to her face. The moment drifted and he blinked. "I..apologize for staring...it has been some time since I have been in the presence of such beauty. It sounds very nice, however, I would like to be free of this armor. I doubt I have much need for it here." He gestured and changed his posture to show how elaborate his ensamble was and he seemed not to notice what he had really said.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Unable, or was it unwilling?, to keep a smile from spreading across her face, the princess nodded. "Yes, ofcorse. You should be shown where your room is and see if it's to your liking." Trying to hide it, Daelin could feel that her heart wanted to race; a warmth threatening to redden her face as she tried to keep her eyes from lingering too long over the fine armor that he still wore. Looking down at the vase of flowers, both hands closed around the letter. "I can call a servant to show you the way if you wish." Anna moved only slightly but had caught the motion of Daelin's hand. Knowing better then to look over at her just now, Daelin wanted to speak with Anna. Alone. Too many things were happening and she was both intrigued and distressed; her mind wanting to argue with heart as she tried to keep her expected calm before her guest.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Danath was led to a large room on the second floor of the castle. The view from the window overlooked the small stream and the trees that skirted between it and the large forest beyond. He sat 3 coppers into the mans hand that carried his things for him. The man nodded politely and closed the door behind him. The room was quite large for a guestroom he thought. A large painting depicting the mountain that loomed nearby hung on the wall. A beautifully crafted rug colored in blues and golds centered the floor. A large four post bed sat in the corner near the window. Denath sat on the bed and removed a boot. His feet ached terribly and he bent his toes in a vain effort to bring feeling back to them once again. He was altogether surprised that he had gotten this far but also, he could not get her image from his mind. Whatever it was in that message, it troubled her. He could not begin to guess what it could of said. He leaned back and layed his head down upon the soft thick bed cover. He knew he could easily fall asleep and he closed his eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Fargon closed the door behind him. The prince lifted the lid of an ornate decanter that sat in an iron stand in a dark room littered with baubles and objects in every corner. "Mylord, we may have a problem." Fargon told him as he come and sat down behind a large, wooden desk. He looked down and wiped clean the heraldry of the King that hung on his chest. "I do not have problems Captains, I have you." The prince replied dryly. "This Lord Lamosa may know something of our plans, you know what that could mean." "Then I shall have him removed." The Prince said as he sat down and rubbed his teeth unconcerned. "My man has told me that The Princess has taken a shine to him and that he had delivered to her a message. I think we both know who sent it to her." The Princes nodded. "It matters little, if she really knew anything, she would of confronted me already. She may suspect...something...but this would surprise even her." "I believe we should be cautious." "I believe YOU should be cautious Captain. That is what I pay you for is it not? Handle it." He said coldly and looked over at him.

How many years has he served the Dark One Fargon thought. Now, he was taking orders from a sniveling boy who belives himself a man. He wanted to beat him just then. He shook his head and leaned back in his chair. A thought did come to his mind and he looked over at the Prince. "As you wish mylord." He said and raised a brow as the idea took shape in his head.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Denath wore his boots, leather pants and a loose fitting white tunic that would fit a man somewhat rounder then him but he did his best to tuck it in. He also wore his weapon belt and the large sword that he had come accustomed to these long months. He made his way down to the gardens and made conversation with many of the people that lingered there. One of which was a former soldier of Gondor. The two made plans to spar each morning that he remained here. Later, he found a nice spot near the stream and sprawled out onto the grass. His head rested upon his upturned arms and he began to remember.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Letting the soft breeze cool her face as it came in the opened window, Daelin turned back to Anna again. "I know, Anna. I've read her words so many times I feel as though I could quote them. She wouldn't say just such things. And I've never, never had reason to not believe or trust her." The Princess' voice had calmed over the last little while; most of the initial tension having burnt off in the first moments after entering her chamber and letting herself look over at Anna for the first time.

Now she almost sounded as though she was growing tried. The long morning and excitement taking a small toll on the two woman alike. "Even the way it was sent! A lord?" Both woman looked at each-other, their eyes meeting and moving away once more as the other's face turned a fine shade of pink. "Forgive me my lady, but I can't help it." Anna nearly giggle but managed to keep it down as she watched Daelin turn back to step out on the balcony. Light scents brushed past, spinning freely through sunlit strands of golden tresses as the warm breeze touched her fair skin. Roses and lavender mixed with the cool note of water and grasses. Her eyes closed; arms folding across a trim waist while she let her mind drift in the welcoming calm she had always found under the open sky. She smiled and opened her eyes to look out over the well kept flower-beds and towards a patch of trees along the little stream. "As long as you remember you place, handmaid." The Princess' voice lowered in mock threat. Anna nodding once, unseen behind her as Daelin stepped forward to lean lightly on the stone railing. "You know I trust you, Anna, but I must ask that you not speak of the letter. Also, it might be wise of you to watch your tong in other matters as well." Again quiet smiles pulled at both faces.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
"But how exciting mylady!?" Anna exclaimed as she began to brush Daelin's hair. "A handsome, mysterous lord...brigands...a battle." Her thoughts dwelled upon the letter just then and she paused. "I do hope not all shall come to pass, now that you know, perhaps it shant?" She began again with the brush. "Who could this...White Tiger be?" She said half in thought.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Daelin sighed audibly, her eyes closing lightly to thought and the slow stroke of the soft brush. "I hope you're right. Maybe there is enough time that something can be done..." Her eyes opened again, looking once more over the garden as Anna's quiet words repeated the question that had be strongest on Daelin's mind. Most everything else about Katrina's letter made at least a little more scene that her plea to trust this one. "I don't know, Anna. I wish I knew what she meant by that... How can you trust someone when you don't know who they are?"

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Denath nodded off laying as he did upon the grass. The nightmare came to him as it always did when he closed his eyes. As sleep took him into its dark embrace, the images, the smells, and the sounds came alive once again in his mind.

He awoke to a sharp pain upon his left side. An orc kicked him and grunted. "No sleep..you...work now." It said to him gruffly. His body ached and he was covered in filth. The orc bent over and grabbed the chains that bound his wrist manacles together. The pain forced him to his feet and he was barely able to keep his footing as the orc harshly led him along the dark cavern.

He passed the pile of clothing and discarded garments that used to cover the many slaves that worked here. Now, most had died to the harsh conditions and treatment or had been killed for amusement or food. It was himself, his friend Eckard, and mostly goblins now. When he arrived at the pit, he heard the hammers of those that were already brought here. The Orc stopped short of the pit and peered down into it. "Gobs out of pit!" It yelled. Several other orcs came up and surrounded the pit. Goblins cowered and scrambled up the ladder as quickly as they could. Eckard stopped his work upon the a large rock and looked up. The orcs peered down and seemed to grow excited. The orc that held Denath's chains pulled on him and left him off-balance. He pulled him hard up to him. A goblin came around from behind the orc and began to unlock his manacles. Denath looked at him in amazement. What is happening? He thought. He rubbed his wrists when the manacles were removed. Both were scarred from the wounds from their unforgiving tightness. The orc shoved him hard suddenly and Denath fell into the pit head first. He landed hard and was left dazed a moment. Eckard helped him up to his feet and the orcs chuckled and cried out in excited howls. "Thank you my friend...what is happening?" He asked. "I do not know, but it does not look good for us." He replied fearfully. The orc foreman spat into the pit and leaned forward. In a terrible accent he spoke to them in westron. "You fights, and winner gets to live." It smiled and raised its arms up high above its head. The other orcs jumped up and down and shook their arms. Denath gulped loudly and Eckard backed up against the wall of the roughly hewn pit. Both looked up at the orcs in disbelief. "No!" Denath yelled. The orcs stopped jumping, and all looked over at the foreman. "Both will dies if you no fights!" The foreman growled. The jumping and howling continued at his words. Denath looked over at Eckard. Eckard shook his head no and looked down. "This ain't right." he mumbled. "We will not!" Denath yelled up. "Fights or we eats good today!" The orc cried. The others hooted and bounced about happily. Before Denath could object again, Eckard attacked him.

He was awakened by a boot to his own. He jumped up quickly and half drew out his blade before he realized where he was. He panted and felt moisture on his back and brow. The Prince, Fargon, and two guardsmen stood afront him. "I am sorry if I disturbed you sir." The Prince bowed regally. "I am Prince Arron...This is Captain Fargon." He announced and gestured. Denath took a moment to clear his vision before he let go of his sword and it fell back with a sliding *clang* into its scabbard. He bowed back slightly. "Well met mylord, I am Lord Lamosa, and I am at your service." "Indeed sir, then perhaps you could asnwer a few...questions perhaps?" He said as he looked down at his nails. He shook his head at their state then looked back up to Denath. "As I am within your home, I will answer what I can mylord." The Prince smiled at that and nodded. Lord Fargon could not help but become suspicious, it was in his nature, however for now, he would just observe and listen he decided. "What buisness do you have with my sister?" "I am a messenger and I have delivered a message." Denath looked at him and allowed his eyes to move over to Fargon then back to the Prince again. "Could you tell me who sent it?" The Prince smiled wide and looked at him almost slyly. "I am afraid I can not mylord." Fargon knew he would not divulge that bit of information and so he had been prepared. He drew his sword and stepped forward. "Do not insult the Prince...answer his question curr!" He snarled. Before he thought, he reacted and his blade was in his hand. Several of the visiting townsmen and women heard the altercation and began to move toward them. "Relax Captain." The Prince said aloud. "We are...just talking." Several of the guardsmen had their hands upon their sword hilts and looked nervous.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

As Anna thought on her words, she looked out herself to the gardens and noticed the large group of people forming. "Mylady, what do you think that is all about?" She asked.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Looking across to the gathering group that Anna had caught sight of, Daelin almost instantly recognized Fargon and her brother; her gaze quickly moving to the figure standing across from them. White shirt almost shining under the late afternoon sun, sword in hand, Daelin straightened as she saw Lord Lamosa. "Come, Anna. This should not be allowed. Those two ought to know better..." Anna could easily hear the distaste in the Princess' voice as she turned and walked swiftly from the room.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
"You disrespect me sir. Where I come from such things are dealt with harshly. I am a guest here mylord, is this how all guests to your lands are treated...with interrogations and suspicion?" The prince changed his stance and became slightly annoyed at this Lord. "Times are not as they once were sir, I was only trying to see if my sister should put her trust in you. She is after-all, my responsibility." Denath listened to his words and he knew that what he said was false. He sensed the malcontent in his voice. However, he did not wish to wear out his welcome so soon, especially since he had done so well with the Princess. "Then you have my apologies Prince Arron." He bowed but did not sheath his sword immediately. Only after Fargon steeped back and sheathed his own blade did he follow suit. "I honestly know very little sir, it is the way of it I am afraid. As times are indeed difficult of late." By this time, several patrons, friends, and family of the Prince and Princess had come to see the altercation.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Coming up behind the gathering group of people, the two woman were soon let through; Daelin's face kept cool only by will as she looked over at Daneth before turning to the Prince and Fargon. "What is this about? Were you neither aware that he is a welcomed guest?" Daelin's voice still held the same note, the actions of her brother far from having any of her approval, regardless of who they involved. Anna, at her place beside and slightly behind the Princess, kept her eyes lowered and mouth shut. "Please excuse this, Lord Lamosa; it seems I should have taken steps to prevent such a meeting." The Princess tipped her head respectfully to him before fixing her gaze on her brother.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
The Prince smiled slyly in the manner that he always did. "Ahh, my beloved sister." His voice had a hint of sarcasm and he turned and faced her. "This Lord Lamosa and I...well, we were just becoming aquainted. All is well everyone!" He said loudly to the procession around them and he waved. As he moved close to her he whispered, "Take care to whom you guest here my dearest." He smiled his best fake smile and waved again as he kept moving and looked around with his hand in the air. Fargon and the two guardsmen followed him close behind. Denath stood with his arms folded across his chest, ohis right knee slightly bent as his weight was foremost upon his left leg.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
An unavoidable chill ran down Daelin's spine, so tired was she of her brother's manner. Having fixed her gaze on one of the flowered vines running through a tree across from her, Daelin waited quietly as people began to wander back to what they had been doing. Finally a welcome quiet surrounded the three; Daelin lowering her head with a tired sigh, catching herself carefully as she looked up at Danath. "The gardens are normally a very peaceful place... I'm sorry if they disturbed you, mylord." Light danced along her hair as she again tipped her head to him. Finding herself unsure about something -what it was, she couldn't quite decide- the Princess only let her eyes go to him for a short time. There were many paths that could be wandered without needing to keep one's attention on the way; places to think without being interrupted. Making up what she could of her mind, walking in the fresh air sounded like a very welcome idea. Without any more to say, Daelin shifted on her feet slightly and started to turn away.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
He saw that she was troubled by the message still and he felt partly responsible for what had just occurred. She looked almost sad just then and he really enjoyed her company. He smiled at Anna who looked up at him. She wanted to stay longer, but the movement of the Princess had forced her to cut short another visit with Lord Lamosa...or so would be the case if he had remained silent.

"Mylady, I know very little of the plants, trees, and flowers here, perhaps you and Anna could teach me their names? That is if it pleases the ladies to do so. I realize that you have courtly business to attend but perhaps if you could spare a small while, I so enjoy your company." He had turned to motion toward the trees that flanked the gardens as he spoke. He wanted to say more but decided to wait a moment to see what she does.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
As her back was mostly turned to him now, he couldn't see the little smile that pulled at her mouth before she bit it away. She had stopped at the sound of his voice and now turned back to see him wave a hand towards the garden. Looking at Anna, a hint of the smile still showed in her eyes as she thought over his words. Finally she nodded.

Stepping over to where a thin vine wrapped its way up and around a young tree, she touched a few of the soft leaves. "Most of the things here can be found in places throughout this land. This-" She reached out to touch a silky, white bud that hung in a cluster with two other identical blossoms, just starting to open. "-is a simple Mouton Jasmine. It only opens fully in the evenings, and almost glows under the light of the moon." Her gaze stayed on the small flower, starting to look a little distant; her pose slowly becoming more relaxed as she thought of all the beautiful things and hidden places she knew of out here. The waterfall that spilled into the lily pond; the benches that hid under rose and ivy covered trellises and stone-worked shelters; there was so much to see outside the thick walls of the castle.

Breathing in the cool scents around her, she started to notice that she had let things grow quiet. An apologetic half smile touched the Princess' face as she turned back to Anna and Daneth.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions