🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

War Tactics

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
High everyone
I was just wondering about all the tactics used in lotr.
There must have been alot of good and bad guys.
I've always wondered why all the other free peoples outpost or living areas didn't do more in the war. Look think about it.
Imagine if everyone and i mean everyone from hobbits 2 eagles 2 men from eriador came together and made an army. If there was a massive army from people from rivendell, blue mountains, bree, shire, eagles, rangers, everyone if they marched down to isengard made war upon them.

Then people from iron mountains, rohan, lorien, anorien, dale, lake town, elves of mirkwood, erebor and the beornings everyone could march down and take isengard. Including the ents. Then march back up and take Dol Guldur. The captains could be galadriel, cirdan, rangers (aragorn), gandalf and glorfindel. I'm sure they could handle any evilness. The army would be huge 2. Hopefully that could draw out an army from the grey mountains and then we could destroy them. Now i know sauron had lots of men but look at the type of warriors and legends we have celeborn, aragorn, eomer, theoded (he wouldn't have been killed) grimbold, gandalf, elrond and glorfindel. Hell the ringwraith were scared sh####SS by him. Imagine what would happen if they meant ordinary orcs. Then aragorn could lead who ever would come by the paths of the dead then finish off the corsairs with the dead. Now with all the threat of dol guldur, grey mountains and saruman gone they could all pile into minas tirith and send the ringbairer off from there. There must be a lot of people their and if they united surely it would be better then to sit and get picked off 1 on 1. Then there would be a lot more riders of rohan and a lot more men from lossarnarch and down yonder.

It would hopefully take sauron by suprise and would definitley help in the garrison in minas tirith. Then gandalf could have gone with frodo and sam 2 mordor and boromir could have fought in the war he so desperatley wanted to defend his city in.
Look the allies could draw strenght from havens, harlindon, forlindon, Blue mountains, ered luin, shire ,rivendell, bree men of dunland, iron hills, Lorien, Erebor, dale, lake town, Wood elves, beornings, eagles, birds and animals of radagasth, Rohan, helm's deep, gondor and any others willing to help. Now surely that would build up a credible army ruled by captains but supremely by gandalf.It would be a very big army and this time round sauron wouldn't have the ring. What do you all think. Surely sauron would be suprised and wouldn't be able 2 muster his forces quick enough if you attack dol guldur and saruman he won't be able 2 send over reinforcements and once you have destroyed it get quickly over 2 minas tirith and get geared up for war. I always thought that if you had the likes of glorfindel,elrond, cirdan, celeborn it would be easyier to help win. Also if you could try and get the ents to come and fight against sauron then you could if you attack his gates get them to smach it and they would be very deadley. If you told them that he killed the entwives that would get them roused and it would send a rocket right up.

What do yáll think???

Bucky

Reaction score
1. There WERE battles in Dale/Lonely Mountain & Lothlorien at the same time as in Gondor.

2. What men in Eriador? All 30 Rangers were there. Do you mean the men of Bree-Land?
Maybe Butterbur coulda talked Sauron to death with Ioreth.....

3. Just how would all the communication & co-ordinating take place to do this? Conference call?

4. The Elves were withdrawing from Middle Earth. Tolkien states they were not involved except in a reactive, as opposed to PRO-active sense. 'Legolas probably acheived least of the 9 walkers' JRR states somewhere to back up this point.

5. Gandalf should go off with Frodo & Sam AFTER they draw the Eye's full attention on Minas Tirith????

6. All the power of the Last Alliance could barely defeat Sauron the first time.
BTW, It was ALREADY called The LAST Alliance by the time of The War of the Ring.....

7. It worked out pretty good the way Gandalf & Elrond planned it.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Bucky
1. There WERE battles in Dale/Lonely Mountain & Lothlorien at the same time as in Gondor.

2. What men in Eriador? All 30 Rangers were there. Do you mean the men of Bree-Land?
Maybe Butterbur coulda talked Sauron to death with Ioreth.....

3. Just how would all the communication & co-ordinating take place to do this? Conference call?

4. The Elves were withdrawing from Middle Earth. Tolkien states they were not involved except in a reactive, as opposed to PRO-active sense. 'Legolas probably acheived least of the 9 walkers' JRR states somewhere to back up this point.

5. Gandalf should go off with Frodo & Sam AFTER they draw the Eye's full attention on Minas Tirith????

6. All the power of the Last Alliance could barely defeat Sauron the first time.
BTW, It was ALREADY called The LAST Alliance by the time of The War of the Ring.....

7. It worked out pretty good the way Gandalf & Elrond planned it.

I guess so. But if they made war on Dol Guldur then there wouldn't be any battles or wars in lorien, dale, erebor. Also i'm not saying they would defeat sauron rather then delay him and try to keep his forces at bay. Also in the last alliance sauron had the ring. But i just thought it would be better to stand together rather then getting picked off 1 by 1.

Aglarband

Reaction score
It's questions like this that make me so glad I bought The Middle-earth Atlas.

The Estimated number of Rohan at Helms Deep is 3800, around 2700 men fought, plus Huorns. Of course 10,000+ is the estimate for Saruman's forces. (Note that there are NO Elves!)

At The Battle of the Pelennor Fields an estimated 11,250 grauds and Rohirrim and Guard of Minas Tirith were present, 7,000 of which were Rohirrim.

The Battle of the Morannon had some 7000 units present, 1000 calvary and 6000 infantry. The host of Mordor is unknown.

And about the Northern Battles:
Lorien was attacked three times, March 11th, 12th, and the 22nd. Numbers of forces and the like are unknown. Thee Elves destroyed Dol Guldur on March 30th.
Mirkwood was attacked on March 15th.
Dale was attacked March 15th-17th, both the men of Laketown and the Dwarves of Dale fought, the Easternlings must have won Laketown, but were unable to get past the gate of the Lonely Mountain. On March 17th King Brand fell then King Dain fought over his body until he lost his own.

Last edited:

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Reaction score
This discussion has caused me to look up a post I thought excellent on the participants of the war.

JeffF put together a really great post, and it took me a while to find it.

I think there's another like it, but that I can't find.

Thread suggestions