🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Was Tolkien a Visionary?

S

sivan_gem

When tolkien wrote his works he invested themwith a certain interest beyond the merelyimaginary..a real world emerged...one that ALL people could takepart in,or feel they belonged to...and he was very much cursed with this problem..for his world was his world..even though it spoke as any did. what made it so popular and yet so personal to us?was he a visionary who really saw the future?

inthe earlier accounts of middle-earth,oftenmentioned in LoTRs,gandalf is said to have mentioned the need for saruman,the evil white wizard to have attacked sauron more capably when he was imprisoned at DolGoldur, the fortressof Mirkwood.Is thisnot now arafatof Palestine'sposition with Sharon's heraldry? i have many more accounts of paralells to this'unexplained and yet understood' world..but that is all i leave you with fornow.

shalom.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Actually Tolkien, by his own mouth, was a historian. He was creating a mythology for England which was based upon pre-historic times and envisioned a pre-historic civilization. He wrote numerous times that, while his personal views and beliefs and life experiences couldn't help but be reflected in his work, he never meant any of his writings to be allegorical.

sivan_gem, I think you seek to read more into the work than is there. What is told is a basic story of good and evil with all the layers of grey that go along with it. You have heroes corrupted and anti-heroes redeemed. You have pain and suffering tempered by success and fulfillment. His works are no more applicable to the Israeli/Palestinian issue than they were for the Nazi/Anti-Nazi issue. His works reflect human nature and all the good... and the bad that go along with it.

R

ReadWryt

Drawing your own allegory from a story written by a man who proclaimed himself to hold a deep hatred of allegory seems a bit extreme...*shrug*

jks13

Reaction score
I agree more or less with what Grond sais:
History does repeat itself and that JRRT was a historien(by his own mouth?) he might have taken some basic ideas from history, like traitors and I do'nt know towers where the enemies are and stuff like that. Anyway with the whole what's happening now point is just history repeating itself, as history usually does. And as JRRT might have taken some basic ideas from hitory, some things are repeating now, bu that is just what one would expect, rite?

Matiage

Reaction score
Tolkien created Middle Earth from the Viking lore of Midgard and the Edas (stories) of Finnish peoples. Giving Tolkien credit for the premise is much like giving Sir Thomas Malory the credit for the legend of King Arthur because he had written "Le Morte D'Artur".

Surely, the names have been changed and the stories have been modified and put together in a great epic that stands alone as fiction, but Tolkien did not just come up with Middle Earth out of nowhere.

Here is one of many links that help to explain:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/12/1219_tolkienroots.html

Thread suggestions