🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Was Tom Bombadil a Ringbearer?

Was Tom Bombadil a Ringbearer?

• Yes because he wore the ring

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No because it had no affect on him

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Ahh, a fresh new thread

I vote 'no', but for a different reason than stated in the poll. I think only those who have actually worn it and kept it, and warded it from evil can be called Ringbearers. Bombadil wore it for about twelve seconds in his house, and, although it did not affect my decision, it's true it did not have any effect on him.
Sam was one of the Rinbearers, because he wore the Ring for a while and actually used it and carried it for a long while (then why didn't he go with the others to Valinor?).

graen

Reaction score
Ring Bearer

A slightly different thought on being a RingBearer.

All of the Ringbearer's (including Sam) claimed the ring as their own possession (Even Sam when he thought Frodo was dead). Tom slipped the ring on his finger, but never claimed the ring.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Bombadil merely examined the Ring. He never "possessed" it, so he was never a "bearer".

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
I thought Sam did sail over the sea, in the very end, when his wife, Rosie Cotton, died.

Strider97

Reaction score
Pontifex,

Saruman-Treason is correct Sam did depart from the Grey Havens later in the Fourth age after the death of his wife Rosie.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Strider97
Pontifex,

Saruman-Treason is correct Sam did depart from the Grey Havens later in the Fourth age after the death of his wife Rosie.

Yes i think that since there was no effect on Bombadil then he wasn't a bearer. What do you think that if you asked him what would he say? He would say no IMO.

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
At the end of the forth age, everyone who wore the ring left middle-earth for the Grey Havens, Sam being the last.

Tom would be the only one left in middle-earth who wore the ring and remained at home, beside Goldberry.

BTW, do we know anything more about Goldberry apart from the fact that she was bubbly, nice, and covered in flowers? what happened to her? did she get a mention in any other books?

Elanor2

Reaction score
Hi Graen

----------------------------------------------------------------------All of the Ringbearer's (including Sam) claimed the ring as their own possession (Even Sam when he thought Frodo was dead). Tom slipped the ring on his finger, but never claimed the ring.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good poing, graen. This will include in the list of ringbearers a Deagol. He never used it (Smeagol killed him first), but he did claim it for himself while he had it in his hand.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes I know, and you're all right, Sam did leave in the end. I was just focusing on the fact that he didn't leave with the other Ringbearers, but it's obvious now that he had Rosie Cotton to attend to, and the Red Book and the refurnishing of the Shire. My bad. :)
But if all the people who had worn any one of the Rings of Power
(1, 3, 7, 9) were said to have left at Mithlond, then why was there no Dwarves present? Were they all dead by that time?

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Tom Bombadil

He wore the ring for a little time. I think that that makes him a ring bearer. It doesn´t matter if the ring has any effect on him.

Thread suggestions