🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

- Water Elemental Summoning -

R

REVELATION

Hello! i have a quik question - what did Arwen say when she summoned those water horses on that one river to get rid of the Ringwraiths? what was the elvish terms and what was the english translation? thanx in advance if you can tell me!!

REVELATION

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
ARGH!

Arwen, in the movie summoned the water...and those horses...

But, in the book, Elrond held sway over the waters, and Gandalf threw in the horses for a nice touch...

Anyway, the words were so horribly muttered (probably so people like us couldn't translate what she might have been saying, assuming they had her speak Elvish, not some witchcraft language :D) that one cannot understand what is said. Undoubtedly, assuming those were Elvish words, there were some made up ones, just to make it longer. There are only about 150 or 200 words in the back of The Silmarillion (about Elves).

To top it all off, Elves don't whisper words and cast spells like witches are said to...

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Don't mind Mike, REVELATION, he's a bit grumpy about the movie (you'll find there are more people like that here, and he's right about nothing like spell-casting by elves being in the book.)

According to
this website Arwen says:

Nîn o Chithaeglir
lasto beth daer;
Rimmo nîn Bruinen
dan in Ulaer!

'Waters of the Misty Mountains listen to the great word; flow waters of Loudwater against the Ringwraiths!'

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Very good, Bill did you translate that yourself!?! Well, I think for a pony you are incredibly smart! The elves taught you a lot didn't they?:D

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Someone thinks I'm smart! Yippie!

should I tell? Nah Nim doesn't need to know the website provides both the elvish and the translation.

Tharkun

Reaction score
In the books witch is what you should go by, Elrond commands the waters to rise and it is Gandalf who makes the water look like Elvish lords.

and you will notice that a lot of things in the movie are crap.

R

REVELATION

what kind of Elvish is this?

what kind of Elvish is this (if it is even real :))

"Quel Re" - Good Day
"Auta Miqula Orqu" - Go kiss and orc!
"Dolle naa lost" - Your head is empty

and so on . . . what type of Elvish is this? just wondering

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Oh my gosh,Bill! I had no idea! Where on earth do they have elvish translations!?! Well, even if you did use the translation, I still think you're smart!;)

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: what kind of Elvish is this?

Originally posted by REVELATION
what kind of Elvish is this (if it is even real :))

"Quel Re" - Good Day

and so on . . . what type of Elvish is this? just wondering
Well I can tell you 'Orqu' is not Orc. 'Yrch' is. You can notice the difference between elvish, and what is above by the way it does/does not flow. Also, Sindarin and Quenya are largely based on Finnish (I think), and that doesn't look like Finnish (not that I'm a pro :D)...

R

REVELATION

elvish

well im very confused now! you mean this isn't even Elvish?? Well, i got it from the Grey-Company and they say its elvish. well, is there somewhere where I can get Real- elvish? - like sindarin -

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
Hi,
I am confused! Ok I have been learning Quenya (Sp? Sorry). I have been using http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/. But I have also used the Grey Counsel translator to translate some terms that I wonted to know and mem. My question? I have heard that the Elfish there is not correct. It that true? Is the Elfish in the grey counsel reliable? And if not do any of you guys know of another on-line elfish translator?
Diola lle! Uuma ma' ten' rashwe, ta tuluva a' lle.
Greenleaf

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
"Quel Re" - Good Day
THIS IS NOT TOLKIEN'S ELVISH!

Don't use these in your sig! They are not Tolkien's elvish! It was made up by someone else!

Thread suggestions