🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Water god thing, looks like Ulmo?

Confusticated

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a picture yet, but did anyone else think that the water-god (or whatever he is?) in the film was done so excellently, and looked just like Ulmo is described traveling inland and showing himself? The way the giant god-like creature formed right out of the water and then dissolved away (back to the sea?) looked realistic! If he were given shimmering mail and a couple accessories it would be a perfect Ulmo.

PS - If I had his name I might find some images. :D

Haven't read the book...:eek:

----

PS - Found his name I think - Emperor Over the Sea?

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Managed to snatch this from a trailer. It's not the best, but it'll do before a better image comes along.

He does look like a spitting image of Ulmo. I've yet to see the film, and I'm getting more and more tempted to read the books themselves.

Attachments

Confusticated

Reaction score
The names of the Valar among Men are manifold. ;)

Thanks ithrynluin, yeah you gotta see how the Emperor forms from out of the water, its neato.

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
It's the Spirit of Beruna, and yeah it's pretty sweet. That was my favorite part of the movie...the rest wasn't so great.

(But no, the Emporer over the Sea is something else entirely. If we're following the allegory here, and Aslan is Jesus, The Emporer is YHWH. The water spirit is just the spirit of the river/fords of Beruna. In the scene where he rises up, Aslan (in the book, at least) has told him to "break his chains"...ie the bridge.)

Confusticated

Reaction score
Thanks for the information... Treyar ;)

I wonder if some new technology was developed just to create that effect.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
It's the Spirit of Beruna, and yeah it's pretty sweet. That was my favorite part of the movie...the rest wasn't so great.

(But no, the Emporer over the Sea is something else entirely. If we're following the allegory here, and Aslan is Jesus, The Emporer is YHWH. The water spirit is just the spirit of the river/fords of Beruna. In the scene where he rises up, Aslan (in the book, at least) has told him to "break his chains"...ie the bridge.)

Not necessarily a "Spirit of Beruna", just a river god, **** I'll can't remember his name...he did have one. Aslan did tell him to "break his chains", though I was annoyed to the fact that they built the bridge during the movie...in the book the Beruna Bridge had been there for years, and there was a thriving village right there. The Beruna Bridge was supposed to be built about the same time the Trees went silent.

And to all of you who've post here and just seen the movies...READ THE BOOKS! They are short, take maybe two hours to read, each. One hour without interruption. :p

Narya

~He-he-he~
Reaction score
lol! When my daughter saw that water god thing she cried, Gandalf! Gandalf!

And I was a bit shocked at first because it did, for a brief moment, looked like Sir Ian McKellen. :D

Thread suggestions