🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What are you watching?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
For a thread on another forum, serials:

Yep -- that's the future Lone Ranger!

Poverty Row studio Monogram Pictures didn’t make serials, but they sure had one of the coolest logos of the early 30's:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivendell_librarian

Reaction score
Horror channel has been showing the excellent 1960s series The Invaders in it's sci-fi slot. Well witten and produced TV series featuring some quality special guest actors e.g. Gene Hackman, Ed Begley. Michael Rennie, Anne Francis, Kevin McCarthy Sally Kellerman,

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
Oh man, I watched that religiously! I think I had the original Aurora kit:

1968.jpg
Invaders-092.jpg
Invaders-094.jpg

In fact, to the detriment of my schoolwork, I watched too many of the shows back then. They did tend to get mixed up in my dreams:

Looks like someone at MeTV must have had the same problem:

Last edited:

Rivendell_librarian

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a kit to go with the series. Actually the unconvincing UFOs don't detract as the series relied on the old fashioned virtues of good writing and good acting.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
He worked on it for over fifty years -- I somehow doubt even a couple more decades would have seen it completed.

I'm sympathetic -- I'd love to have the full "Fall of Gondolin", or even the rest of "Tal-Elmar". But at least we have HoME now, and the other things Christopher published.

Edit, September 18,2019: I have no idea how this got in here, or what it's in response to! :eek:

Last edited:

Rivendell_librarian

Reaction score
A favourite film of mine is David Lynch's Dune (1984) fan versions of which are available on Youtube e.g.

It was panned by many critics as being incomprehensible but for me that is a strong point of the film -and the unusual visuals make it a one of a kind SF movie.

I have to admit that Francesca Annis is part of the attraction

There may be a remake in 2019!

Lych92

Always hungry!
Reaction score
Currently catching up on all the episodes of Supernatural... :)

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
I think there are members here old enough that they may have read the English translations of the early Perry Rhodan space opera novels, published by Ace Books (they of the infamous "pirate" printings of LOTR). The books were pretty much despised by hardcore SF readers, but popular with somebody, and sold well enough. Nevertheless, Ace canceled the series around 1978.

Which was unfortunate, as the original German series, begun in 1961, and admittedly aimed at a juvenile audience, was on the verge of becoming much more complex and adult-oriented. I said they sold well in the US, but that's nothing, compared to their popularity in Germany (and elsewhere), with around two billion in sales -- and, as far as I know, still being published. There are Perry Rhodan conventions, and some fan-made animated films. I've seen a few on youtube, and have to say some of them are impressive. Here is one, featuring a sort of historical overview of the series:

I'd be interested in hearing possible experiences with the series from German members.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I’ve heard of the series, possibly as far back as 40 years ago (when my parents and I had returned from the US and I, for the first time, ever actually lived in Germany). But never did any reading, not that I can remember anyway.

Next best thing might be the German-language Wikipedia (and BTW access from Germany to any Wikipedias was down due to a DDOS hack day before yesterday, which I noticed – not being able to get on, that is).

It’s a fairly long article, so I’ll just give some salient items.

Started 08 September 1961 and has appeared without a single break on a weekly basis since then. The format was something like that of comics, but with writing instead of pictures. Has reached over 3 000 issues totaling about 160 000 pages. It is definitely a serial, so not self-contained stories in each issue. It is divided into “cycles” of perhaps 50 to 100 issues each (though this was done for the first 199 issues retroactively. Apparently, the publishers were expecting the series only to run to maybe 30 to 50 issue originally!). Oh, and apparently there are Grand Cycles that encompass several cycles. Nine of these Grand Cycles completed so far, the current tenth Grand Cycle, already encompassing seven normal cycles, has not been named yet (stuff like that gets done retroactively. Telling Christopher Columbus that he, upon reaching the “New World”, he was now living in the “Early Modern Era” would have drawn an awfully blank stare – and never mind his incomprehension about “what new world?!?”)

The starting point of the series in 1961 was the year 1971, but now they seem to have reached at least 5 600 AD (boy, that makes Dr. Who look like a teenager!), but they have also initiated a “new age” at some point, according to which by their calendar they’re in the year 2100 post whatever.

There is a shorter article in the English-language Wikipedia. I’m not cross checking anything, just enjoy … or whatever.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I've been getting some stranger than usual things popping up in my youtube recommendations lately:

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I've been getting some stranger than usual things popping up in my youtube recommendations lately:
Erm, well, we occasionally get English-language programs with German subtitles on TV. (I think the last one so far was the three-hour Woodstock festival documentary)
So I'm quite aware that the translation fidelity of subtitles can be … spotty? 🤣

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
I was just wondering if youtube's algorithm was experiencing some indigestion or something! :p

On first looking at the clip, I thought someone must have added "zany" subs to a Samurai movie, like the Hitler Rants -- the hero certainly seemed serious! But the comments made clear that the translation is pretty accurate -- an objection to the non-use of "oppai" was corrected, for instance.

Anyway, watching a few more clips confirmed that this is a TV comedy series (?). It appears to be a takeoff on both both Samurai movies and RPG's:

LARPers: make sure people you interact with are actually part of the game. Sometimes it's hard to be sure:

Looks like they watched the Pythons -- particularly Holy Grail:

Might be fodder for ME RP's in the forums! :D

Last edited:

Thread suggestions