🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What are you watching?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
OK, so Solar injured her back during a rehearsal, and I believe it was suggested she try pole dancing as a back-strengthening exercise. She liked it so much, she decided to study it seriously. After a year, she was able to perform this with her instructor (it's considered an art form in Korea, BTW):
Posted without comment:
Right … OK … those Koreans do have very widely ranging tastes in entertainment … 😳

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
Indeed.

Captions available. That's IU singing with Kim.

And here's the very young Disney princess, on a trip to Japan, singing with the Tokyo Symphony:

Released on the day of her high school graduation!

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
Also a good night for Tim Burton.

Or is it? Maybe. I try not to repost things, but as an introduction, here's IU's Gift again:

That’s really a heavily abbreviated mashup of two music videos. I'd seen the first one in passing, some time ago, and dismissed the song as the sort of "cute concept" aegyo/kawaii genre I don't really care for. Big mistake. After becoming more familiar with her work recently, I've come to see how creative she can be. And was, even back in 2011, when the first video was released:

I now see the song in context: she's portraying a young girl, too immature to awaken her "sleeping beauty"(and I believe IU was herself only about 17 at the time). So she builds a -- time machine? Time, trains, clocks, music, dance, time. Lots going on there. I certainly get a definite Tim Burton/Danny Elfman vibe.

Then, eight years later, came the sequel -- or is it a parallel? I'm not sure -- maybe you can figure it out:
(You may need to turn on captions on that one.)

Notice her bed-- shaped like a boat, and made of sheet music. The "waves" surrounding it are made of rolls of sheet music. And the descending ladder is also made of sheet music. The room where they dance together appears to be somewhere other than their own houses -- "outside" time, as the song says. I take it as pointing to the old idea that art arrests time. I'd be interested in other interpretations.

Oh, one more thing: "Gift" was uploaded December 31st of last year -- 191231, which was the date she set the time machine for in the first video -- eight years ago.

Crazy.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
Once I get to my bunker and download the VIKI app, I'm going to binge-watch Hotel del Luna. Here are some clips, set to one of the OST songs:

As Count Floyd would say, "Scarrry stuff!". o_O

And oh yes, that's the multitalented IU, from my previous clips. She's also an accomplished actress, all grown up now.

Edit: Found another scary clip. Yikes!

I can't wait to watch this!

Last edited:

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I realize "watching" in the conventional sense of this thread isn't what this link is about. "Taking a frequent look at" would be the correct term.

A P.S.: when I had first loaded this page today, in the early afternoon here (now about 15:45 or 3:45 PM), the US had overtaken Spain in the number of confirmed infections.
New Spanish figures have reversed the order, but US figures by nature of longitude arrive later than European ones. And I have read a comment that due to the weekend updating may be a bit delayed compared to during the week.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
Read the book, never saw the film. I need to.

Currently bingeing a Kdrama --- up to episode 44 of 50 (!), but after that, I intend to dive into this:

Thread suggestions