🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What book are you reading right now?

Elendil3119

Reaction score
I'm currently reading LotR (again :D) and The Canterbury Tales, by Chaucer. What about you guys?

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Something Rich and Strange by Patricia McKillip. Next up is The Changling Sea by McKillip.

Celebthôl

Loremaster
Reaction score
well i have to admit i am again reading The Lord Of The Rings, im now on The Fellowship...;)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Right now, I'm re-reading The Two Towers, and I'm reading about three different books of analysis of the films of Stanley Kubrick, and since I just finished (about 2 hours ago) Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, and my school's library's copy of The Silence of the Lambs is checked out, I'm looking for a new book to read that I don't have to think too much about. I'm leaning towards something by either Douglas Adams or Rudyard Kipling (short stories) right now...

Wolfshead

Formerly CraigSmith
Reaction score
I'm reading Closing Time just now, well, obviously not right now, but you know what I mean :rolleyes: It's the sequel to Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

And I recently finished The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. It's a novel of Arthur, incredibly good, I have the second part, Enemy Of God lined up for when I finish Closing Time. Then I have the 5th part of The Mallorean to read. So many books, so little time :(

FoolOfATook: Did you enjoy Red Dragon? I got about half way through a while ago, but I wasn't enjoying it. I think it's Harris' style. I got bored of Black Sunday as well. But I saw the old Red Dragon film, and it was very good.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
I actually liked Red Dragon far more than I expected to. I thought it was a cut above (no pun intended) most serial killer/police procedural novels that I've read. I didn't think Harris's style was exceptional, but it wasn't too offensive.

I ultimately decided to read Neil Gaiman's American Gods, a book which I've been procastinating about reading for something like 18 months now. I'm about 50 pages into it, and it's pretty good so far.

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I am re-reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. It is one of my favorite books. I just finished reading The Least of These My Bretheren. I forget who wrote that, but it was really good. I cried.

spirit

Dragon Tamer
Reaction score
cool.
has any1 read harry potter?
they are basically copies of lotr...but in a shorter and junkier version

**Edited by Tal**Please refrain from cussing, thanks**

Last edited by a moderator:

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Yes, I've read all of the Harry Potter books. They're very funny books. Not junk at all, they're only junk when you compare them to Lord of the Rings.
Which is like comparing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Great Expectations.

Anyway, I've just finished Catch-22 which is one of my favourites (very pleased to hear it has a sequel!) And now I'm reading Scarlet and Black by Stendhal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfshead

Formerly CraigSmith
Reaction score
I couldn't say how good Closing Time is, I'm only a few chapters in. Some people say it's rubbish, while others so it's as good as the original. We shall see.

Frodorocks

Ban - Albannach
Reaction score
I'm currently reading TTT and Treasure Island. Treasure Island has a good storyline, but Stevenson's writing stlye's a little bland for my taste. Oh, and I'm reading Life, The Universe, and Everything. It's amazing how much more understandable it is the second time around.:) *Cackles over her library of books;) *

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Currently, I am reading 'The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two'
(And to believe I once thought the Silmarillion was hard, wow).
Still, I will recommend it to all who haven't read it yet.

Thread suggestions