What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Green Dragon' started by Elendil3119, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Kinofnerdanel

Kinofnerdanel Member

Thank you! But some sites state it is a novel for children.
    Someone said that The Silmarillion is for those who have already read it at least once :p (I'm also reading it now in English! Good luck though, you are about to enter the hardcore part of the fandom. It is totally worth it.)

Rivendell_librarian likes this.
  2. Squint-eyed Southerner

Squint-eyed Southerner Skulking near Archet

Yes, "Eagle" was promoted and sold as a "children's book". I believe that had more to do with the vagaries of the book industry of the time; books had to be jammed into "categories", whether or not they fit. I can only say that I read it as an adult, and found it gripping, along with the others in the series.

A parallel that comes to mind is Andre Norton, whose early SF and Fantasy novels were sold as "Juveniles"; that category has been renamed "Young Adult", I suppose to make it sound less, um, "juvenile", and so more appealing to teenagers; but the novels themselves remain the same. I indeed read Norton as a teen, but I've since reread a number of them, and was just as entertained as the first time. In fact "Shadow Hawk", her historical novel about ancient Egypt, remains my favorite piece of fiction set in that era.

So unless you insist on a lot of sex in your historical fiction (something I doubt), I still think you should give Sutcliff a try.

3. Ithilethiel

Ithilethiel Well-Known Member

Am currently reading too many books on teaching theory but I've been able to squeeze in one guilty pleasure, Alexander Hamilton The Formative Years by Hamilton scholar Michael E. Newton who I've had the pleasure to have met! I'm in heaven...:D:D:D

Hope all my friends on TTF are doing well!

4. Balin Fundinul

Balin Fundinul New Member

I'm reading "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers". One of the best books I've ever read.

5. Pengolodh

Pengolodh New Member

Tackling The Hobbit in Spanish at the moment (as a way to improve my Spanish, mostly - I am not fluent!), and have also finally got around to starting Hugh MacLennan's Two Solitudes. And every so often reading a chapter of The Silmarillion with my partner (who is a fantasy fan but had never read it, and so we settled on reading it together because then I can answer all the inevitable questions about names, places, and pronunciation!)

CirdanLinweilin and Miguel like this.
  6. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Pengolodh likes this.
  7. Erestor Arcamen

Erestor Arcamen Archivist Staff Member

Home Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheTolkienForumPage/
    As I've previously posted in this thread, Brandon Sanderson is my favorite modern author. I can't get enough of any of his writing. His world building is genius and every book, short story and novella of his that I've read has been a page turner for me. So far, I've read:

The Mist Born books 1-6
    Elantris
    Warbreaker
    Arcanum Unbound - All except for Edgedancer since it is part of the Stormlight Archive, which I just started.

I've read everything in the Cosmere except for The Stormlight Archive, which I'm happy to say I started last night! So I'm currently reading The Way of Kings. If you're looking for epic fantasy and amazing world building, I can't recommend Sanderson enough.

8. The ringbearer

The ringbearer New Member

Im read lord of the rings in the second time, but I also have to read The Children of Hurin, Tales From a Perilous Realm, Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep, The Yard, Robopocalypse, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and The Robots Of Dawn