🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What caused the Balrog to awake?

What roused the Moria Balrog from sleep?

• Pippin throwing a stone into the well

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • The Balrog sensing the presence of a fellow Maia

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Sauron's influence from afar

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • The orcs of Moria

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • the presence of the One Ring

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Tipped off by his ol' chum, the watcher in the water :D

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
The Dwarves awoke the Moria Balrog by delving too deep in Third Age 1940 - thereby follows their expulsion from Khazad-dum and the Balrog passes out of all knowledge until the journey of the Fellowship.

What roused the Moria Balrog from sleep?

Pippin throwing a stone into the well?

The Balrog sensing the presence of another Maia?

Was he somehow roused from afar by Sauron's influence?

The Orcs of Moria?

Or something else?

Should we even assume that the Balrog 'went to sleep' again after the Dwarves were scared off or was he simply waiting and 'lurking for prey' all this time?

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FoolOfATook
Couldn't the presence of the One Ring have also awoken him?
Thanks for reminding me FoaT. I knew I'd forget something. It has been added.;)

And another option has been added at Nóm's insistence -'Tipped off by his ol' chum, the watcher in the water' :rolleyes: :p

Elendil3119

Reaction score
I think that if the Balrog sensed the presence of Gandalf, he would have awoken much earlier in the journey of the Fellowship through Moria. Same goes for the presence of the One Ring. Since I don't believe that the Balrog was in league with Sauron, or even under his power to any great degree, I doubt that is the answer. My theory is: Pippen threw a stone into the well ---> this roused the orcs ---> the orcs roused Durin's Bane by their actions and noises. Of course, this might not be the case if the Balrog didn't go to sleep again after the evacuation of the Dwarves.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elendil3119
I think that if the Balrog sensed the presence of Gandalf, he would have awoken much earlier in the journey of the Fellowship through Moria.
Well, that depends. How far do you think a Maia has to be to another Maia to sense its presence? And keep in mind that Gandalf has been through Moria on one other occasion.
Also: If Maiar sense other Maiar, why didn't Gandalf get caught while spying out in Dol Guldur?

My theory is: Pippen threw a stone into the well ---> this roused the orcs ---> the orcs roused Durin's Bane by their actions and noises.
So who did you vote for, the Orcs or Pippin?:p

Wynston

Reaction score
Balrog are powerful but now all seeing all knowing. Chances are it just didn't know the Fellowship was there. I don't think that the Watcher alerted it either as I think it would have attacked sooner since the watcher knew about the Fellowship from the beginning.

I don't think the Balrog was really sleeping. After driving all the dwarves out, it probably had relatively little to do. (maybe some house cleaning or other Balrog stuff!) When Pippin threw the pebble down that aroused the orcs which in turn alerted the Balrog to the Fellowship's prescence. I think you could make the arguement that if Pippin had never thrown that pebble, or if the Fellowship was really really quiet the whole way, that Durin's Bane would never have know that they were there.

FrankSinatra

Chairman Of The Board
Reaction score
It was the balrog that caused the dwarves to flee (Durins Bane), so when exactly was he asleep?

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Pippin.

He caused the Orcs to get all rambuncious, wich caused the Balrog to get all hyper and start falling off bridges:D

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Mabey... but a bunch of orcs screaming and yelling would wake a monster up...

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrankSinatra
It was the balrog that caused the dwarves to flee (Durins Bane), so when exactly was he asleep?
From Appendix A; The Lord of the Rings;:

It came to pass that in the middle of the Third Age Durin was again its king, being the sixth of that name. The power of Sauron, servant of Morgoth, was then again growing in the world, though the Shadow in the Forest that looked towards Moria was not yet known for what it was. All evil things were stirring. The Dwarves delved deep at that time, seeking beneath Barazinbar for mithril, the metal beyond price that was becoming yearly ever harder to win. [color=sky blue]Thus they roused from sleep[/color] a thing of terror that, flying from Thangorodrim, had lain hidden at the foundations of the earth since the coming of the Host of the West: a Balrog of Morgoth. Durin was slain by it, and the year after Náin I, his son; and then the glory of Moria passed, and its people were destroyed or fled far away.
The Balrog was certainly sleeping from the beginning of the Second Age until Third Age 1980.

It is uncertain and debatable, however, whether it was sleeping between TA 1980 - 3019.

From The Mirror of Galadriel:

'It was a Balrog of Morgoth,' said Legolas; `of all elf-banes the most deadly, save the One who sits in the Dark Tower.'
`Indeed I saw upon the bridge that which haunts our darkest dreams l saw Durin's Bane,' said Gimli in a low voice, and dread was in his eyes.
'Alas! ' said Celeborn. `[color=sky blue]We long have feared that under Caradhras a terror slept. But had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again[/color], l would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.'
I guess this passage could be interpreted either way and it doesn't tell us clearly whether the Balrog had been sleeping or not. My guess is that the Balrog had been sleeping, since Balin's company succeeded in establishing a colony (though for a short time - it was destroyed by Orcs).

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DurinLongBeard
I'm gonna go with B-C on this one. A bunch of orcs pounding a huge drum would sure wake me up:rolleyes:
But isn't it strange that the Balrog wasn't roused by all the rucus caused by the Dwarves in the Second Age, when they had dealings with the Elves of Eregion, and even Galadriel passed through Moria then. That must have drawn some attention.

DurinLongBeard

Adar en Naugrim
Reaction score
Good point. I'm at a lost for an explanation. Possibly the "lair" of the balrog was so far down that it wasn't arisen until they got a certain distance away explaining why he did not wake earlier. And in the time after Balin & Co. had been taken care of he had become used to the quiet and the booming drums woke him up once more?

FrankSinatra

Chairman Of The Board
Reaction score
I think you are reading it wrong.

I dont think it mean physically 'awake' or 'asleep', like someone setting an alarm clock.

'Sleep' means, unaware of the world, unaware of how to get out, and unaware of anyone else being around.

Sort of like solitary confinement.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Originally posted by ithrynluin
But isn't it strange that the Balrog wasn't roused by all the rucus caused by the Dwarves in the Second Age, when they had dealings with the Elves of Eregion, and even Galadriel passed through Moria then. That must have drawn some attention.
I've always assumed that the activity of the Dwarves opened up some chamber which was until then out of reach. The Balrog was unable to attack them until that moment.

As for the poll, I think the presence of Mordor orcs in Moria sways me to say "Sauron's influence from afar"... in the shape of iron-shod Uruks!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
It surprises me that so far everybody has assumed that the Balrog only actually 'awoke' after Pippin dropped the stone into the well (though not necessarily because of that, which is what this thread is about! :rolleyes:); couldn't it be that the Balrog had been 'awake' for quite some time, and that he didn't actually mind the Orcs at all? Perhaps Sauron had heard that there was a balrog in Moria, and had sent the Orcs to send it greetings from him (Sauron couldn't very well fly from Barad-dûr to meet him in person!)?

But this Second Age business is confusing.. Did Tolkien mention it in any of his Letters, or in HoME?

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gil-Galad
My personal opinion is that the Balrog felt Gandalf's presence.They both were Maiar and each of them could feel the presence ot the other I suppose.;)
How would you explain the Balrog not sensing Gandalf on Gandalf's previous journey then? Or Gandalf's expedition to Dol Guldur?

Thread suggestions