The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What do you think about The Hobbit movies?

The ringbearer

Reaction score
I love TH movies... I see movies to enjoy them, not to check how much CGI there is in the movie, so usually I dont notice if the CGI is good or not. I think that it is a good choice to show Gandalf's adventures when he wasn't with the company because I want to know what happened to other peuple and places during the quest of Thorin's company, and I don't think I'm the only one. They connected between the LotR movies and TH movies very well (the beginning of An Unexpected Journey and the end of The Battle Of The Five Armies, The White Council, etc...). Don't forget that The Hobbit is one single book and LotR is six books so they have to add some things which aren't exist in the original book.
What do you guys think about TH movies?

p.s- this is my first thread that I post.

Belthil

Reaction score
I love TH movies... I see movies to enjoy them, not to check how much CGI there is in the movie, so usually I dont notice if the CGI is good or not. I think that it is a good choice to show Gandalf's adventures when he wasn't with the company because I want to know what happened to other peuple and places during the quest of Thorin's company, and I don't think I'm the only one. They connected between the LotR movies and TH movies very well (the beginning of An Unexpected Journey and the end of The Battle Of The Five Armies, The White Council, etc...). Don't forget that The Hobbit is one single book and LotR is six books so they have to add some things which aren't exist in the original book.
What do you guys think about TH movies?

p.s- this is my first thread that I post.
congrats with your maiden-post! :)

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I 100% respect others' opinions and if you like the movies, that's perfectly fine :). I enjoyed the first one but then in my opinion they went completely down hill. I like the idea of seeing what occurred in Dol Guldur but the whole thing with the ringwraiths being buried in that dark tomb and Turiel completely turned me off of them. I was really hoping for Turiel to be killed by orcs since she wasn't a real character.

Battle of Five Armies was even worse. I own all three of them in extended edition and I've never even bothered to open the BO5A one, maybe I will some night when I want to drunk watch something haha.

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum The Ringbearer and congrats on your first post! I think it's great you enjoy the movies so much. There are so many things to like. I enjoyed them too and like EA have the three in extended cut and watch them from time to time.

There are some things I don't like about them but that's bc I am a diehard Tolkien fan and will always prefer the books over the movies. I prefer how Tolkien weaves his grand monumental tale of ME and my own imagination vs Jackson's, "interpretation" of things. Tolkien's writing is perfection to me but that is only my opinion. I enjoy his characters and believe each one has an important role to play in the story. To ignore some and make up characters is mostly what spoils the movies for me. But that's not to say that the movies aren't exciting entertainment. They are. The CGI alone...lol

I'm curious if you have read the books yet. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Ring books? There are others but those are the ones to start with. If you haven't I urge you too. I believe you will enjoy them.

Once again, welcome to the Forum! Have fun and keep posting.

Reaction score
I'm re-reading The Hobbit after a good while and since seeing The Hobbit trilogy. I'm not totally against PJ's Hobbit films but they do not compare to his LOTR trilogy imo. The main problem is that the Hobbit book could (and should) have been covered in one film and PJ had to add a lot of invented material to pad out the 3 films.

Another theme I have noticed in reading the book is that Bilbo gradually gains the respect of Thorin and the other dwarves (as predicted by Gandalf) yet PJ's films put forward a very different story!

In fact it occurred to me that the relationship between Bilbo and the dwarves in the book is similar to the relationship between Kevin and the dwarves in Gilliam's Time Bandits; a better film imo. I wonder if Gilliam had The Hobbit in mind: there are some similarities in the two stories.

The ringbearer

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum The Ringbearer and congrats on your first post! I think it's great you enjoy the movies so much. There are so many things to like. I enjoyed them too and like EA have the three in extended cut and watch them from time to time.

There are some things I don't like about them but that's bc I am a diehard Tolkien fan and will always prefer the books over the movies. I prefer how Tolkien weaves his grand monumental tale of ME and my own imagination vs Jackson's, "interpretation" of things. Tolkien's writing is perfection to me but that is only my opinion. I enjoy his characters and believe each one has an important role to play in the story. To ignore some and make up characters is mostly what spoils the movies for me. But that's not to say that the movies aren't exciting entertainment. They are. The CGI alone...lol

I'm curious if you have read the books yet. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Ring books? There are others but those are the ones to start with. If you haven't I urge you too. I believe you will enjoy them.

Once again, welcome to the Forum! Have fun and keep posting.
Thank you!
yes, I read The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings books... I read now LotR in the second time, and soon I will read also The Silmarillion.

Lych92

Always hungry!
Reaction score
The Hobbit films do no justice to the books, so it's disappointing.

Lych92

Always hungry!
Reaction score
After seeing the second, I have yet to see the third. Maybe when my son gets older we will watch them. Maybe.
Third installment was like its previous 2 installments. Too stretched out and bit lackluster. Marketing for the film was non-existent too...

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Well, maybe -- but they still made billions.

I've learned not to inflict my opinions on threads like this, for fear of bringing the Umbrella of Wrath* down on my head, so I'll restrict myself to saying I'm happy for anyone who enjoys the movies.

*In-joke. :p

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
I honestly didn't mind the first, there were some enjoyable moments. The second was questionable, and then came what I think was some river chase scene and I tuned out and have never looked back.

Aldarion

Reaction score
I honestly didn't mind the first, there were some enjoyable moments. The second was questionable, and then came what I think was some river chase scene and I tuned out and have never looked back.
The dworfs in the barrels scene. That was enjoyable, though again a significant change from the book.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
I find it hard to enjoy significant changes from the book. Given the excellent source material, there really was no need for such a river chase scene that does nothing to further the narrative, but stands only to showcase some CGI and fill (read: waste) time to justify three movies while diverging away from the true storyline. More forgivable instances like this happened several times in the first film, but that river scene was so ludicrous that it prevented me from watching the third installment entirely.

Thread suggestions