🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What do you think would have happend if they had given Bombadill the ring?

tom_bombadil

Blast from the Past
Reaction score
The most likely thing to happen would be that life in Middle Earth went on for a while longer. Tom would most likely discard the ring among other stuff and eventually someone would find it who wasnt supposed to proabaly a creature from the old forest and then the war of the ring would happen but in a very diffrent way.
Or gradually while Bombadill has the ring mordor engulfs middle earth and would eventually surrond bombadills lands and he would fall or triumph in battle against the dark lord.

LadyGaladriel

Lady Of The Golden Wood
Reaction score
In basic terms i haven't got my book at hand
elrond- I overlooked tom, do you think i should have asked hi
Gandalf - he wouldn't have come. He is too caught up in his lands
someone (forget who)- what if we give the ring to him?
Gandalf - if he even took it., He would have fell from the Blackwrath or even had thrown it away not understanding its worth
I think it kinda sums it up

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
Well, chances are, as you said, Tom Bombadil would discard it. But also, think about this: Frodo wants to give the ring away to many people. What would happen if one of these people took it.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by tom_bombadil
The most likely thing to happen would be that life in Middle Earth went on for a while longer. Tom would most likely discard the ring among other stuff and eventually someone would find it who wasnt supposed to proabaly a creature from the old forest and then the war of the ring would happen but in a very diffrent way.
Or gradually while Bombadill has the ring mordor engulfs middle earth and would eventually surrond bombadills lands and he would fall or triumph in battle against the dark lord.

I think so 2.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
No one's considered the extreme possiblity that Tom would have given this beautiful golden baubble of a Ring to his beloved Goldberry. What would have happened to the River Daughter if she all of the sudden had MEGA-POWER?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

Bucky

Reaction score
In all the Bombadil talk I've read here, & it's lots, everyone mentions that the Ring had no power over him. True.

But, I was thinking the other day that Tom SEES Frodo when Frodo puts on the Ring & heads towards the door.

What's that say?

On Frodo Always trying to give the Ring away:
Maybe he's looking for the easy way out?
Or, in the case of Galadriel, he's falling to the temptation of Boromir, "You will set things right.", but knowing he himself doesn't have the strength, but Galadriel does.

I bet if somebody had told Frodo "Yeah, OK, I'll take it", Frodo would've said "HaHa! Made you look!"
Or more precisely, refused.

But, back to the subject:
If Tom got the Ring, I bet he'd lose it playing poker at The Prancing Pony.......

Oren

Reaction score
that might almost be funny. But i believe that he would get it there saftly! he would know all the tricks!

Thread suggestions