🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What draws you back to the Lord of the Rings?

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
What is it about the Lord of the Rings that draws you back to read it again and again?

Tolkien's writings just have this feeling to them.. You can go and listen to lays in the Hall of Fire, have a cup of tea with Bilbo in the heart of the Shire or go venture to the depths of the darkest halls of Moria.. It's like beeing home and away at the same time..

Morwen

Daughter of the Dark
Reaction score
I love his style of writing for it is most unique, and that is partly what draws me to the LOTR. The relationship with the characters also draws me back. I grew a connection, a link, with the characters, that alowed me to feel what they felt at times. The characters are so easy to fall in love with. But in the case of the Sil, and its soul stealing qualities, I grew connected with it. The range of emotions, the style of writing, and the characters draw me back to both the Sil and LOTR.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Easy. I fell in love with Middle-earth, so much that if I don't read it over and over I lose a part of myself. Middle-earth is like a half-forgotten dream, lost to us in the process of waking up, until one man, a genius in fact, remembered it and was kind enough to return it to us.

R

ReadWryt

I can put it down any time I care to. Really! I don't need to read it, I WANT to read it. But it's MY copy...keep away from it. Precisous tome...yessss my precious...

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you must know

I've always been the type of person who wants to travel the country, who wants to go all over the world...And see stuff, go on a mission. I want to be in some type of competition where you are chased across the country or something, and that if you are caught, you lose something. As you can see, this LotR is a place that like to go into.

Also, I love to read Tolkien's writing because of the realism of it, a realism which I've only found that Tolkien has. His characters are so developed, his verses so profound, and his ability to tie things across almost a dozen books amazes me. I don't think I'll ever find an author that I like as much

Orin

Reaction score
What brings me back?

The grammar, man. It's all about grammar. Sentence structure, usage, you should have put a comma there...no wait, I see now it's not necessary... those kinds of things draw me back. It also helps that it is one heck of a tale.
My problem is, I can't go back to it. I gave away my copies to some students who were reading parts and didn't have the complete set. For the first time in thirty years, I have not had at least two sets of those tattered paperbacks. I think I am going to Jones.
Christmas...er, I mean the Holidays....(don't want to offend) is coming. I hope to find the red leather edition with the two fold out maps under the tree. Hear that Santa? I need to diagram some more of Tolkien's sentences.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I love Tolkien's use of the English language. The writing is so clear and precise, it's like watching a picture being painted, the scenery is so vivid. The storyline is exciting, and there are so many plot twists and turns that 'it keeps you on the edge of your seat'!

I have always dreamed of being somehow transported to another world where I would be sent on a dangerous quest. I would fulfill that quest, thereby proving myself worthy of admiration.
I guess that's partly the fault of too many fantasy books when I was young, and an over active imagination!

Evenstar

Reaction score
I love the world that Tolkien presents in these books. The characters come to life and I feel as if I'm really there. It's the best escape I have from everything crazy in this world. I can imagine that I'm there and all my problems disappear. That's why I keep on coming back. I love the ME.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Tolkien's richness is what keeps bringing me back to the works again and again and again. Richness of characters, richness of history, richness of language, richness of so many different emotions and finally the richness of the world of Middle-earth. How can anyone not love these works???:)

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I like them because at first, the reading is kind of slow, but as you read on it just keeps getting more in depth and more interesting. It's like a rockslide. When I first started reaading it I was like, it looks okay, and then the next thing I knew i was in the middle of the third book, and was looking for the Silmarillion. I've been reading them almost constantly for the past five years.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
The main reason I read any book more than once is to find things I have looked over before (I swear I find something new every time I read LOTR).

Tolkien's books are very in-depth, and you are told so many things about the world, you want to be a part of it as much as possible.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
That's why I keep re-reading. I know there's things in there I've missed and everytime I re-read I find a few more of them.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Because its just so much more than one story. It is the history of a beautiful world, you keep coming back to find out more and more. Every time I open up one of the books, I find out new things, see new connections and keep feeling good. And I love reading the English, it is so rich a language, and professor Tolkien was so good in writing in it.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Well I really don't see much that attracts me!

I mean of course there's some beauty to the story. And the world Tolkien created is complex, and yet everything - well almost everything - seems to fit in consistently, only a very few loose ends of threads. Oh - and it's great, thrilling, wonderful, fantastic, etc...

But other than this it's just...average ;)

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
The best parts

What draws me back is always the steamy sex scenes described in erotic detail! I just can't get enough of that book!

Oh, yeah, I like Gandalf too.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Ummm, Janitoro, may I ask which edition You have, and where one could get it??? :D

Orin

Reaction score
edited copy

Yes, oh Cleaning One, Where can I get that copy? I believe those bits were edited out of my copy. I do have a few paragraphs of the Goldberry/Frodo "encounter" behind Tom's house, but that's it.

Rian

Reaction score
I've been reading LOTR since I was nine, and I always find some new detail - no matter how small- that jumps out at me everytime I read it. (fyi - I'm 28).

Tolkien has a way to make the story come alive, and the world around me disappears for awhile. It's like going to see old friends and talking about the past. I get so caught up in it that I don't notice the passage of time. Kind of like the hobbits when they visit Tom Bombadil.

Greymantle

Reaction score
JoA, man, I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are one funny guy. I nominate the Janitor for the "Wit of the Forum" award!

Thread suggestions