What edition/year do you have?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVED: Threads' started by BlackCaptain, Feb 4, 2003.

?

What years do your books come from?

1. First edition. oh yea!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1950's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1960's

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. 1970's

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. 1980's

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. 1990's

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. New Melinium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. You have a movie character on the cover

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  9. You have more than one set

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 10000 strong

10000 strong Registered User

Home Page:
    http://
    Um, I have a movie set, another movie set, A one Volume movie cover book with the ringwraith(softback), A one wolume movie cover book with Gandalf,(softback) Hardback ringwraith cover one volume, The Alan Lee illustrated version (hardback) A hardback leatherbound, and a few more I can't recall what they are.

2. 33Peregrin

33Peregrin hmmm

Reading LOTR
    Morgul King-
    Yes, I strongly agree!!! It's really funny. I thought everyone on it looked really funny. I couldn't believe my dad had that book!!!

Poppy:)

3. flame

flame Current Silent Hill Fan

still at school. college student as well
    i have them. as well as pics of the rings there is the eye of souron inside the yellow ring in tfotr. in ttt there are two towers and a bird. and in trotk there is a tree.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy son of James

medical products manufacturing
    Home Page:
    I have the paperbacks with the white cover and watercolor-looking paintings, printed in the 70's. Same for my copy of "The Hobbit" and the "Tolkien Reader". My copy of "The Sil" was much newer, bought a couple of years ago, but unfortunately it was lost late last year during my second reading. *sigh* However, I found a late-70's white paperback edition at a local bookstore, which I plan to purchase tomorrow (payday), so I'll be able to finish my second reading. My "Unfinished Tales" has a tan-colored cover, though I don't remember what year it was printed. My copy of "Guide to Middle-earth" has a very light tan cover, and was printed in 1977. My "Smith of Wooten Major" and "Farmer Giles" have a white cover and was printed in 1982. My "Adventures of Tom Bombadil" (looks at bookshelf...hey, where is that book...???) is currently located...um, somewhere in my room I think, which means it could take me a while to locate it, but I believe it too is from either the late-70' or early-80's.

5. Ecthelion

Ecthelion .................

Home Page:
    My dad gave me his really old one that I read the first time I read LOTR. He also got me a newer edition of all three two years ago for X-mas. The new ones I have all have the Eye of Sauron on the REAL cover(they have a cover that comes off on top of the book).

6. Ingwë

Ingwë Creeping Death

Student
    Home Page:
    http://galin.mastersofalfra.com/gallery/
    I have HarperCollins paperback edition in English and it is with a drawing of Gandalf on the cover. It seems that we are talking about one edition though I don't know how old is my book. It is one volume edition that contains map of the Shire, Map of Middle earth divided into hm... four parts and big map of Gondor, Rohan and Mordor. I love this edition!
    I also have two volume Bulgarian edition. Actually, I have the second volume (it contains 'The Two Towers' and 'The Return of the King'). I wanted to buy Vol. I but it cannot be found, for the edition is as old as I am :D

7. Barliman Butterbur

Barliman Butterbur Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué

Keeper & Landlord: The Prancing Pony
    Well now you've gone and done it: I had to schlep all my stuff to the computer to work with the copyright dates! But to answer your question:

LORD OF THE RINGS

50th Anniversary Set (1 Volume, purchased November 2004), © 2004, Houghton Mifflin
    Smaller hardback 1-volume book (purchased November 2003, it came with a set of LOTR bookends), © 1994, Houghton Mifflin
    Ancient 3-volume hardback set (probably purchased in the 70s after having worn out a copy purchased in the 60s, and kept together with masking and duct tape — not thrown out because of copious notes pencilled and penned in) © 1965

THE HOBBIT

Hardback, © 1966 (my second one, purchased in 1991), Houghton Mifflin

THE SILMARILLION

Hardback, © 1977 (possibly purchased in the late 90s) Houghton Mifflin

UNFINISHED TALES

Paperback, © 1980 (purchased within the last five years), Houghton Mifflin.

(These of course are just the sets that I still have; I've no idea of the total number of paperbacks and hardbacks purchased over the last 45 years that simply wore out and had to be tossed :eek: :p )

The interesting thing for me has been learning about how much more there was about Tolkien from TTFers over the last two years! But nothing I've purchased outside of Unfinished Tales continues to hold my interest like TH/LOTR. Most amusing for me of course, has been the tempest in the teapot brought about by PJ's version of the saga. Too bad that's all faded away! :( :p

Barley

8. Erestor Arcamen

Erestor Arcamen Archivist Staff Member

Home Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheTolkienForumPage/
    I have the one with the movie character on front, but its not based on the movie, its the actual book (i comapred to one from the 60's in the library). I so want to get a few old editions, that'd be awesome! Anyone know any good sites to order off of?

9. Starbrow

Starbrow Tolkien Fan

teacher
    Home Page:
    I still have my first LOTR paperbacks purchased in the late 70's somewhere. The edition I read is a hardcover boxed set from 1965. They each have the same design on a black cover - The Eye of Sauron encircled by the ring, surrounded by the Elvish inscription "One ring to rule them all,..." and an Elven ring at the top. For FotR the design is orange, for TTT it's red, and for RotK it's purple. The orginal paper dust jackets disintegrated from overuse years ago, even though I was careful with them. They didn't look that good anyway.

I also have a white paperback copy of The Hobbit with Tolkien's "Barrels out of Bond" on the cover. But last Christmas I got The Annotated Hobbit from 2002.

10. WeaselRedeemer

WeaselRedeemer Registered User

Does anyone know if there was ever a pocket size edition of the FotRs or the Hobbit or Sil.? It would be awesome to be able to keep a smaller edition around or in pocket, especially at work, umm. I'm guessing the font would be really tiny, ha.

11. e.Blackstar

e.Blackstar wanderer, not lost

I have three sets. The first is completely mismatched: a 90s RotK, a new movie-edition FotR (I bought it to replace the second edition FotR that my cousin lost:mad: ), and an early 80s TTT. I also had an 80s Hobbit (same edition as my TTT) that was my 'reading' one, but it split in half, the cover fell off, and I lost the last 40 pages. :eek:
    The second set is my 'reference' set (though FotR is still mismatched to the other three): The hardcover RotK and TTT, with black covers and red and gold engraving (I told off the jackets). My Sil copy is part of that 'set' too: green hardcover with gold-engraved emblems and title writing. The FotR of the reference set is from a used book-store; I couldn't find a matching one, but this FotR is a paperback oversized edition with some nice (I believe) Howe art on the cover.
    The third set that I have is one that my grandparents gave me. Its a nice boxed set, with bits of artsy-fartsy drawing on the cover. I had the Hobbit edition that matched them, but my mother borrowed it and has never gotten around to finding out where she put it. :mad:

12. Gabba

Gabba Registered User

Student
    I have a worn out paperback all-in-one:
    HarperCollins 1995 - green book with gandalf and an arc of runes over the title. This is my read edition.

I also have a hardcover edition, but I dont know its spesifications because it lies in my old room at my parents. Illustrated by Alan Lee.

13. Corvis

Corvis Registered User

Helping Tom Bombadil and fair lady Goldberry
    My dad gave me his set to have. It's from the 1970's. It's from ballantine/fantasy or something.

14. Berserker

Berserker Mordor dweller

I have more than one set. In english and in spanish.

15. Corvis

Corvis Registered User

Helping Tom Bombadil and fair lady Goldberry
    Why do you have LOTR in two languages? (I'm just wondering).

16. Ithrynluin

Ithrynluin seeker of solace Staff Member

Probably on account of being bilingual? ;)