🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What if Gollum won the riddle game?

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I mentioned this in another thread but I thought that it deserved more attention as a new thread.

Ok, a discussion is underway on whether or not Bilbo cheated during the riddle game in "The Hobbit" against Gollum, by asking a question and not a riddle.

See the thread Riddle or Question

What do you think would have happened if Gollum didn't accept the question "whats in my pockets" as a valid riddle.

Do you think Gollum would have got the Ring of Power back? Maybe Bilbo still escapes and Frodo still gets to go on his quest with the Fellowship? Maybe Gollum, over time, learns how to use the Ring? Maybe Bilbo escapes by killing Gollum in some way? What would happen at the end of ROTK if Gollum was dead?

Whats your opinions?

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
If Gollum had not accepted the question (which was not at first directed at him as Bilbo was just thinking aloud), then Bilbo would have tried to think of another riddle which Gollum might or might not have answered.

H

Harad

If Gollum won the riddle game then he would expect to eat Bilbo. Bilbo had not really agreed to this and would fight. Bilbo might very well win since he had Sting.

Then Bilbo would have had to find his way out without Gollum.

1. He does. The Hobbit goes on as before. The Ring stays in the Shire for even longer since Gollum is no longer around to spill the beans to Sauron. The War of the Ring is postponed.

2. He doesnt. Bilbo is killed in the Goblin caves and the Ring gets its wish to be found by Goblins and then Sauron. Bad news for ME.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Harad
If Gollum won the riddle game then he would expect to eat Bilbo. Bilbo had not really agreed to this and would fight. Bilbo might very well win since he had Sting.

Then Bilbo would have had to find his way out without Gollum.

1. He does. The Hobbit goes on as before. The Ring stays in the Shire for even longer since Gollum is no longer around to spill the beans to Sauron. The War of the Ring is postponed.

2. He doesnt. Bilbo is killed in the Goblin caves and the Ring gets its wish to be found by Goblins and then Sauron. Bad news for ME.

Yes that is right. I think that gollum would've died trying to have a go at Bilbo. But if he couldn't have found his ring i'm not to sure he would have had a go at him. Her wouldn't have gone near him since bilbo could see him and he had sting. I think goolum would have feld and stayed in his island until he thought that bilbo had his ring and then knife or not he would have fled after him trying for his thrpught in the end maybe getting himself killed. Bilbo would never had found his way back by himself no way in the world. He would have probably been caught by the goblins not knowing what the ring could do and been tortured for the death of the great captain.

imladris

Reaction score
then he would probably try to eat bilbo, but iGuess that he would not win because he has sting.
If he had killed gollem, Sam and Frodo would get stuck when they were prretty far (gollem leads them thru the swamp).
And then Frodo would never throw the ring in mount doom.

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
As Hobbits are not an aggresive species by nature, I dont think that Bilbo would have killed Gollum after losing the Riddle game, except maybe through self defence.

This leaves two scenarios:

1. Bilbo gets captured by the Goblins, and tortured as Beleg so rightly stated.

2. Bilbo miraculously finds the way out, and heads off as normal. The Ring goes back to the Shire, and is handed over to Frodo. The Ring is taken to Rivendell, through Moria, much as it did before, and all the way to Mount Doom, without much struggle (would make TTT a bit boring to read). Frodo has no enemy to fight with at the top of Mount Doom, so Frodo keeps the Ring, and he turns bitter and twisted the same as Gollum did.

Frodo goes and hides out in a cave, after being expelled from Hobbiton, living on a diet of fish, with his "Preciouss" and having his life prolonged by the Ring.

One day, he loses the ring and a curious hobbit finds the ring whilst trying to escape some goblins. the hobbit wins a game of riddle with the weird looking Bilbo, and takes the ring back to the Shire.

After a number of years back in the Shire, the hobbit, hands the ring to his heir, who takes on the task of taking the ring to Mount Doom to be destroyed.

He meets up with some people in Rivendell, they walk off and start their adventure.

Bilbo gets captured by Sauron, who then dispatches the nine, and the whole story starts off again.

You cant change fate I guess!

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by ssgrif
As Hobbits are not an aggresive species by nature, I dont think that Bilbo would have killed Gollum after losing the Riddle game, except maybe through self defence.

This leaves two scenarios:

1. Bilbo gets captured by the Goblins, and tortured as Beleg so rightly stated.

2. Bilbo miraculously finds the way out, and heads off as normal. The Ring goes back to the Shire, and is handed over to Frodo. The Ring is taken to Rivendell, through Moria, much as it did before, and all the way to Mount Doom, without much struggle (would make TTT a bit boring to read). Frodo has no enemy to fight with at the top of Mount Doom, so Frodo keeps the Ring, and he turns bitter and twisted the same as Gollum did.

Frodo goes and hides out in a cave, after being expelled from Hobbiton, living on a diet of fish, with his "Preciouss" and having his life prolonged by the Ring.

One day, he loses the ring and a curious hobbit finds the ring whilst trying to escape some goblins. the hobbit wins a game of riddle with the weird looking Bilbo, and takes the ring back to the Shire.

After a number of years back in the Shire, the hobbit, hands the ring to his heir, who takes on the task of taking the ring to Mount Doom to be destroyed.

He meets up with some people in Rivendell, they walk off and start their adventure.

Bilbo gets captured by Sauron, who then dispatches the nine, and the whole story starts off again.

You cant change fate I guess!

Who knows eh??? But tolkien would have made it exciting and interesting all the same.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
You are all wrong. If he won he would have tried to eat Bilbo, then
1. Bilbo would try to defend himself, but because Gollum's so great he would still be able to kill and eat him. He would find the Ring in the nasssty hobbits pocket and just be mad about it and stay and eat fish.
2. There is no number 2! Mine is the definitive answer!

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Maybe Gollum eats Bilbo, accidently eats the Ring at the same time, then runs around with it burning in his stomach, nobody can catch him or kill him because of the power of the Ring, then eventually Aragorn is born, he hooks up with Arwen, slowly Gollum gets near to Rivendell, Elrond and Aragorn go out to catch Gollum, Bill the Pony smokes him out of the waterfall where Gollum is drinking to make his tummy feel better, Aragorn is bitten by Gollum in the chest, but Bill the Pony kills Gollum and dies at the same time, Elrond cuts the Ring out of Gollums stomach (its ok he's dead he can't feel it) then as they bring Aragorn back to Rivendell, he is almost dead but Arwen says wait for me, he dies then she dies, then they meet in the halls of Mandos, and Arwen sings to Mandos and gets him to send them back, and then they live for a while longer in ME, then they both die and pass away, then Bilbo comes back to claim the Ring, then Bilbo finds the Ring burns his hand so he throws it into the sea, and ever after sings about how much he misses the Ring.

Wow thats just like the Sil. U R brilliant YayGollum! :)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Eonwe, it is apparent that your mind is floating around in the wrong age of Middle-earth. As for the question at hand... there would be a dead Hobbit!

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
YayGollum, my answer was meant to be open ended since both Bilbo and Gollum are technically Hobbits... but if I was a betting man, the nice, little Hobbittses that would be dead on the floor would be Bilbo. Gollum was more skilled in the craft of murder that was young Bilbo. :)

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grond
YayGollum, my answer was meant to be open ended since both Bilbo and Gollum are technically Hobbits... but if I was a betting man, the nice, little Hobbittses that would be dead on the floor would be Bilbo. Gollum was more skilled in the craft of murder that was young Bilbo. :)

I beleive heb would have waited for Bilbo to turn his back then hw ould have striked. But otherwsie he would die or he wouldn't try and kill him.

PRH

Reaction score
Oh it would've been Gollum killing Bilbo. It was basically pitch black in the cave, Bilbo couldn't see but Gollum could. He would have squeeeeeezed it. It would have been crunchable. Sting wouldn't have helped at all once Gollum's fingers were around Bilbo's throat (from behind). He was in prime shape with the orc imps he would periodically squeeze.

Illuvatar

The One
Reaction score
Probably the options are:
1:Bilbo is killed and eaten by Gollum, Sauron captures Gollum, ME is lost.
2:Bilbo escapes, is killed by goblins, the ring is taken by goblins, Sauron finds it, ME is lost.
3:Bilbo escapes, adventure continues as normal, Frodo inherits the ring, goes on the quest, is relatively unlooked for, gets lost in the Emyn Muil, wanders until lembasruns out, they die, the ring is taken by some animal, and is found after Sauron annihilates the army of Gondor at the Last Battle, before the Morannon, ME is lost.
4:Bilbo escapes completely, the Hobbit proceeds as normal. Frodo inherits the ring, makes his way to the Emyn Muil, miraculously finds a way out, sinks into the Dead Marshes, where it lies forevermore, even after Sauron defeats Gondor at the last battle in front of the Morannon. ME is lost, though not so dramatically.
5:Bilbo escapes completely, the Hobbit proceeds normally, Frodo inherits the ring, makes it miraculously through the Emyn Muil AND the Dead Marshes, tries to get through the Black Gate, is captured, ME is lost.
6:Bilbo escapes completely, the Hobbit proceeds normally. Frodo inherits the ring, and since there are no orcs ambushing them, the company does not fall apart. Aragorn leads them through Cirith Ungol and through Mordor. Gollum does not attack, Frodo keeps the ring for himself, is found by the Nazgûl, Sauron gets the ring, ME is lost.

Any way you look at it, Sauron either gets the ring, or takes over ME without it. :(

Saermegil

The Starchild
Reaction score
6:Bilbo escapes completely, the Hobbit proceeds normally. Frodo inherits the ring, and since there are no orcs ambushing them, the company does not fall apart. Aragorn leads them through Cirith Ungol and through Mordor. Gollum does not attack, Frodo keeps the ring for himself, is found by the Nazgûl, Sauron gets the ring, ME is lost.

When Boromir tries to get the ring, Frodo goes back to the rest of the fellowship, they tie up boromir for a while but then forgive him and think hes back in his right mind. Later Boromir steals the ring, heads to Mordor and chalenges Sauron. he probably loses and Sauron gets the ring.
OR
They kick Boromir out of their company, and him, being away from the ring is not so corrupted any more and heads back home. Aragorn though, as they get closer to Mount Doom, is more corrupted and finally asks rodo for the ring. then Frodo gives it to him, aragorn wears it and challenges Sauron.Gandalf tries to stop him, gandalf breaks his oath tothew Valar by using a great force of "magic". being already an "outlaw", he decides to wear the ring . he defeats Sauron and becomes the new ruler of ME.Sweeet :D

Hikaru

Wannabe Wizard
Reaction score
Glad I put my glass of wine down before I read this. A little of it went up my nose anyway.
Pardon a newbie for jumping in, but I think YayGollum is right. Dead Hobbit. Our man Smeagol eating fissssshes. End of story.

Saermegil

The Starchild
Reaction score
Your welcome to chip in, everybody is. But see, we cant have just one truth in a "what if " scenario. Everybody can just use his imagination.

Thread suggestions