🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

"What if?" - work-book-Archive

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Now having this space, I would like to invite you here and discuss the problem with the time for the development of one topic.
Elen suggests that we should give a topic as much time as it needs. I see the positive in this, but on the other hand, this game is not an RP, so how can we say that a story has come to an end and be able to introduce the new topic?
I still think a topic should have a certain period of time available, but I was wondering whether a week is not too short one. :confused:

What do you say? :rolleyes:

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
In my view,it depends on the topic itself.There are some itchy issues that will definitely take more than a week.Moreover,I think the period should be expanded by at least a week so that everybody could see the topic and get involved.
So what's your first suggestion of "What if.."???
I've got an idea waying through my mind but I thnk I'll keep it for some other time.It concerns Hurin...whatever.
Anyway,I absolutely support you about the workbook.Go ahead!

Nenya Evenstar

Reaction score
I think that we should use however much time is needed for each topic simply because some topics need more time than others. This way no one would drag out the story just because it isn't supposed to end for another three days, and no one would rush the story because it is supposed to end tomorrow. However, these are just my little thoughts. :D

Húrin Thalion

King of Crisps
Reaction score
I can cure! I think that you Lhunitiliel should judge when a topic seems unnecessary to continue and if anyone disagrees they'll tell you here.
Still we can set a recommended time of say, two weeks.

Elen

gate7ole

Reaction score
I don’t see why we should set strict rules. We should let each story unfold as much as it needs. Of course we can put some flexible limits, say at least 1 week and at most 2 weeks.
The only think I would like to see is more participation. There are 4-5 members that write their stories, though I hope all people read them ;) . Here I would like to properly welcome Elen Carnë, a new guild member that participated in our last What-if story. Elen welcome aboard!
A final suggestion. If you people are familiar with Tolkien’s early work, we could try to write a story that contains some of his rejected concepts (e.g. the Faring Forth). This will be very interesting, because we won’t have an already developed story, since Tolkien never completed his first schemes. What do you say?

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Originally posted by Melian
So what's your first suggestion of "What if.."???
I've got an idea waying through my mind but I thnk I'll keep it for some other time.It concerns Hurin...whatever.
Anyway,I absolutely support you about the workbook.Go ahead! [/B]
My dear Melian, what do you mean by "FIRST suggestion"?
The game has been running for quite some time now! :)
Your idea is pretty good. Keep it in mind!

Now, looking through your comments, I would like to say a few things:

1/ The time limit - how about 1 to 2 weeks (no more), really? I mean, some of the topics have demonstarted they needed more time to develop and others "died" even with the time of one whole week. So, I'd suggest that if a topic does not develop within a week - we stop it and the next one comes. If however a topic is developing well - let's give it two weeks.
2/ The topic itself - Gate7ole, I'm afraid that most of the people haven't read even pieces like the UT, or HoME... Then how could they participate? .... Or if the topic is one of those, that you suggest, then the others may just use ONLY their imagination... :confused:
3/ Participation - I would LOVE that the game would be attended by more people! :)
4/ The form - I would applause ANY new form of developing a topic! We have done "a movie", we have written stories.... Now, I know that the narative form is the easiest... yet, it would be great fun to invent other ways of developing a topic!

Looking forward to your suggestions, comments..AND ....critics! ;) :D

---------------
Oh, I forgot!
WHAT ABOUT THE ON-GOING TOPIC?! ISN'T ANYBODY GOING TO CONTINUE? ;)

gate7ole

Reaction score
First Lhu, let's not be too hasty. Remember last time when Nenya didn't get the time to write about her own subject? Also, this activity is the most time-consuming of the forum.
And Elen, the subject is very interesting. Believe me. Escpecially when things progress more.

About my proposal of writing a What-if about Tolkien's earliest concepts, I could provide a summary about the topic. Remember, Tolkien gave us only scratches of his ideas. We would write the story from the beginning with little guidance. But let's discuss it afterwards when the current topic is finished.

Originally posted by Melian
Could I possibly disagree with an essay contest winner?:D
I didn't know that I had such a reputation!

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Originally posted by gate7ole
First Lhu, let's not be too hasty. Remember last time when Nenya didn't get the time to write about her own subject? Also, this activity is the most time-consuming of the forum.
And Elen, the subject is very interesting. Believe me. Escpecially when things progress more.

About my proposal of writing a What-if about Tolkien's earliest concepts, I could provide a summary about the topic. Remember, Tolkien gave us only scratches of his ideas. We would write the story from the beginning with little guidance. But let's discuss it afterwards when the current topic is finished.

I didn't know that I had such a reputation!
Oh. yes, you do, Gate7ole! :D

I'm sorry if I seem in a rush! It is just that when aI like a topic, I get impatient to watch the development of the events.

This thing with the summary - it could work! We can really give it a try!

Nenya Evenstar

Reaction score
Yes, I believe that the new idea with a summary could work very well, and I would give it a try myself. As for the present topic... I'm having problems finding computer time - please forgive me if I do not post in the What If's? for a while.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
As I said in the thread:"what if question" 14 days are enough for everybody to write really good things.And then I'll read them (I love reading your stories guys) and according to what was written I would very much like to judge whose story was most interesing.............
If it's possible of course.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
I have an idea for the next topic.
Look at these quotes:
.....for Melkor she knew from before the making of the Music and rejected him, and he hated her, and feared her more than all others whom Eru made.
and
When Manwë there ascends his throne and looks forth, if Varda is beside him, he sees further than all other eyes, through mist, and through darkness, and over the leagues of the sea.
All right.... Now,
WHAT IF Varda had accepted to be with Melkor?
Imagine then:
When MELKOR there ascends his throne and looks forth, if Varda is beside him, he sees further than all other eyes, through mist, and through darkness, and over the leagues of the sea.
Do you like it? My imagination EXPLODES at the thought of this possibility! ;)

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY what I thought to pm to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
My imagination explodes,too:D :D :D
If One villian could cause so much trouble to the Valar,I dare not think what Two of them (the mightiest two spirits!) could come up with!Imagine--the dark lord has a dark queen...
But you know,I tend to think that eventually they would've destroyed each other with hatred.Evil does not suggest peaceful partnership and fair play.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
My dearest country-fellow...ess ;) :D,
Isn't it strange we are both thinking about one and the same thing?!! :)
So, I see YOU like the idea.... How about the others?
Or maybe we shall first try one of Gate7ole's suggested Tolkien-non-finished stories?
Gate7ole, will you give a summary of one of these and the rest will see whether it will work or not? :rolleyes:
And I would very much like to learn about the topic me and Melian have in mind, too.
Melian, .... You know, I'd rather not let these two destroy each other.... Though... I don't know what will happen...
Sometimes, I sit to write a "chapter" for a "What if?"-topic having a definite idea...and soon after I have started writing, the story itself leads to quite a different outcome... Last it happened with the story about Isildur... I had no idea I'd come up with a dream!

gate7ole

Reaction score
Instead of writing a summary, I should better quote from the Book of Lost Tales I & II:
The Elves’ prophecy is that one day they will fare forth from Tol Eressea and on arriving in the world will gather all their fading kindred who will live in the world and march towards Valinor. This they will only do with the help of Men. If Men aid them, the fairies will take Men to Valinor –those that wish to go- fight a great battle will take Melko in Erumani and open Valinor. Laurelin and Silpion will be rekindled and the mountain wall being destroyed then soft radiance will spread over all the world, and the Sun and Moon will be recalled. If Men oppose them and aid Melko the Wrack of the Gods and the ending of the fairies will result - and maybe the Great End.
*the battle of Erumani is the last battle of the Valar with Morgoth at the plains of Valinor.
This is a passage that clarifies the matter of the Faring Forth. It is a prophecy and thus can be interpreted as anyone wishes.

Tolkien also wrote another short passage, giving a disastrous outcome of the prophecy:
…the time is not ready for the Faring Forth, but the fairies judge it to be necessary. They obtain through Ulmo the help of Uin, and Tol Eressea is uprooted and dragged near to the Great Lands, nigh to the promontory of Ros. A magic bridge is cast across the intervening sound. Osse is wroth at the breaking of the roots of the isle he set so long ago –and many of his rare sea-treasures grow about it- that he tries to wrench it back; and the western half breaks off, and is now the Isle of Iverin.
The battle of Ros: the Island-elves and the Lost-Elves against Nautar, Gongs, Orcs and a few evil Men. Defeat of the Elves. The fading elves retire to Tol Eressea and hide in the woods.
Men come to Tol Eressea and also Orcs, Dwarves, Gongs, Trolls etc. After the Battle of Ros the Elves faded with sorrow. They cannot live in air breathed by a number of Men equal to their own or grater; and ever as Men wax more powerful and numerous so the fairies fade and grow small and tenuous, filmy and transparent, but Men larger and more dense and gross. At last Men, or almost all, can no longer see the fairies.
The Gods now dwell in Valinor, and come scarcely ever to the world, being content with the restraining of the elements from utterly destroying Men. They grieve much at what they see; but Iluvatar is over all.
* Ros: the capital of Tol Eressea
Nautar: the dwarves which are evil at this stage of mythology
Gongs: probably the goblins
This is the most important info about the Faring Forth. If it sounds interesting, we can start writing about it, without being obliged to follow the unhappy ending that Tolkien had in mind.

Nenya Evenstar

Reaction score
I love the idea Lhun! Can't wait - I will most assuredly take part in that episode.

And Gate7ole's as well - blast posting at the same time. :D

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Ever since I read about that "Last battle" I have felt so content about the glory of the eventual possible alliance of Gods, Elves and Men....
And now this!
I like it, no doubt!!!!
I am however wondering.... Will 14 days be enough to develop the story?
Which leads me to something a guild-mate (sorry, I can't now remember who exactly) suggested some time ago - a RP ...
What do you say?
I, personally, don't know much about starting and playing RP, though I have read instructions on the matter.
But THIS TOPIC, IMO, deserves it!

Well?:rolleyes:

gate7ole

Reaction score
The last story was really great. Well done Lhinithiliel and Elen.
I guess that we should now move to the next subject. Having two alternatives, we can choose one for now, and the other for afterwards. The choice is yours:)
As for the RP, personally I don't have any xp at all. We shouldn't try to dive in deep waters, without any guidance.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked the story!
Oh, Elen, I was almost crying myself when I finished writing. ;) In fact I wanted to write one more chapter - charged with more "positive" emotions, but enough is enough.
It's time for the new topic.

Now, we are having a dillema, right?
Shall we take the "Melkor-Varda"-topic for the "What if"-game and with the help of Nenya try the other one in a RP?
OR
Shall we chose one of the two topics for the "What if"-game ONLY?
Today is Tuesday - HIGH time to start a new topic.
So, let's make our choice today.
All right? :)

Thread suggestions