🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What is the LaCE debate?

Mahaulendil

Reaction score
I'm a very new Tolkien fan and I'm only just beginning to sift through the HoME books, but I've been hearing a lot more seasoned fans talk about the great LaCE debate. I've only read excerpts from LaCE, so I'm not really sure I understand? Can anyone explain?

user16578

Retired
Reaction score
I'm a very new Tolkien fan and I'm only just beginning to sift through the HoME books, but I've been hearing a lot more seasoned fans talk about the great LaCE debate. I've only read excerpts from LaCE, so I'm not really sure I understand? Can anyone explain?
What does HoME means and LaCE?????

Merroe

Reaction score
HoME means "History of Middle-Earth". It is a set of 12 books in which Christopher Tolkien documents the making of his father's books, discusses a number of earlier text versions, etc.

LaCE means "Laws and Customs Among the Eldar". It is discussed in several versions in said HoME, especially book 10.

As regards a "debate", some perceived the moral aspects in this text as sexist. I must admit I've never read it so I take no opinion. You might read more about it here.

user16578

Retired
Reaction score
HoME means "History of Middle-Earth". It is a set of 12 books in which Christopher Tolkien documents the making of his father's books, discusses a number of earlier text versions, etc.

LaCE means "Laws and Customs Among the Eldar". It is discussed in several versions in said HoME, especially book 10.

As regards a "debate", some perceived the moral aspects in this text as sexist. I must admit I've never read it so I take no opinion. You might read more about it here.
Ah thanks Merroe :)
Now I understand!
Ah the new moral of today... ok I see were this is going :)
Not my cup of tea...

Merroe

Reaction score
"Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think for me”
“And for me”
“And raspberry jam and apple-tart”
“And mince-pies and cheese”
“And pork-pie and salad”
“And more cakes—and ale—and coffee, if you don’t mind”
“Put on a few eggs, there’s a good fellow!”
“And just bring out the cold chicken and pickles!”

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
"Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think for me”
“And for me”
“And raspberry jam and apple-tart”
“And mince-pies and cheese”
“And pork-pie and salad”
“And more cakes—and ale—and coffee, if you don’t mind”
“Put on a few eggs, there’s a good fellow!”
“And just bring out the cold chicken and pickles!”
In other words, empty the larder!

naretari

Reaction score
Uh... anyone still here to talk about LACE? I'm not sure what the debate is about, but basically LACE describes very interesting things about the marriage of elves, about how elf-children are conceived, their infancy, and how they grow up, and also about what happens to elven souls when they die (how they are re-embodied, etc.)
I haven't heard about any "debate" but I'd be keen to take part in one.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
You can read something about it in the article Merroe posted.

There's much of interest in Tolkien's speculations on the nature of the Elves, and he clearly thought it was worth trying to work out, but speaking for myself, though I'm glad to have HOME -- especially the LOTR drafts -- I'd be willing to trade a couple of the volumes for the completed Fall of Gondolin.

naretari

Reaction score
Ah, I see! Thanks. [Goes off to read the article.] Good grief, why must people look for debates and things to be upset over all the time.... that's one debate I've no interest in getting into.

Merroe

Reaction score
LACE describes very interesting things about the marriage of elves, about how elf-children are conceived, their infancy, and how they grow up, and also about what happens to elven souls when they die (how they are re-embodied, etc.)
Thanks for the info, Naretari.

As said, I haven't read it.
And as Squint-eyed Southerner said: be welcome here, and have loads of fun!

Thread suggestions