🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What is your favorite...

What is your Favorite Riddle

• The Mountain Riddle

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • The Teeth Riddle

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • The Wind Riddle

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • The Sun Riddle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Dark Riddle

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • The Egg Riddle

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • The Fish Riddle

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • The Time Riddle

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters

Sting99

Reaction score
What is your favorite riddle that Gollum and Bilbo exchanged in Riddles in the Dark? (The Riddles will be know by their answers such as "A box without henges, key or lik, yet, golden treasure inside is hid." will be know on the poll as simply,"The Egg Riddle".

R

ReadWryt

Mine would be "Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk?"...Oh wait, that was the Mad Hatter at the Tea Party. Nevermind...

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I like the time riddle, mainly because it is the only one that Bilbo didn't figure out. He just blurted out "Time" meaning he needed more to think.

Theif

Reaction score
I like the time riddle, mainly because it sounds complicated if you don't know the answer, but the answer 'time' is actually really simple. It was also worded well - I can't remember exactly how it goes, and I don't have a copy of the book handy at the moment

S

Stalker

My favourite one is the Time riddle, and that is because it was pure luck he got it right.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
The Time one I liked best, I actually tried to solve this one when I read the Hobbit first time, but I'm not a very good riddler, so I read on.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Hmmm...I can't choose a favorite one! I like all the riddles, and how Bilbo and Gollum answer them. The time one is probably the most ironic (ack! My literature class is getting to me!!!), because Bilbo did not know the answer.
Anyways...I need the answer to the 3rd riddle of Anc's!!!

O

oss91

the riddle about the dark was so much better than the one about the time. either way, i surely would have never guessed the answers.

Saermegil

The Starchild
Reaction score
I chose the time riddle. A very clever and hard riddle indeed. (Too hard for me. I couldnt guess almost any of the answers of the riddles in the riddle game. Its a childrens book! i was so mad at myself.

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Reaction score
I don't have a favourite. It's impossible for me to choose a favourite line.

C

celebdraug

Grond said:
I like the time riddle, mainly because it is the only one that Bilbo didn't figure out. He just blurted out "Time" meaning he needed more to think.
i like that one too, it made me laugh! Man that was soo lucky!

Turin

...Lost
Reaction score
I liked the fish riddle, I can't really remember the others, I haven't read the Hobbit in a while. I'll probably reread it for the 3rd(or 4th) time sometime soon.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Time

This thing all things devours: Birds, beasts, trees, flowers; Gnaws iron, bites steel; Slays king, ruins town, And beats high mountain down.

Poetry.

My second favourite is the Wind: Voiceless it cries, Wingless flutters, Toothless bites, Mouthless mutters.

The Dark riddle is good too, but depressing.

Thread suggestions