🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What music are you listening to at this moment?

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I saw that he died. I like Cream a lot so will definitely be listening to them a bit today.
I've been listening to Cream's 4 albums a lot this week.

Currently I'm listening to Mariann Faithfull. Her song Sister Morphine is playing now...

Lyrics by Mariann Faithfull, music by Keith Richards and Mick Jaggar.
It was sad the Rolling Stones made an attempt to steal the song even though Marianne had released it on her album two years before the Rolling Stones released their recording of it on their album Sticky Fingers. All they had to do was list her as a co-writer. Nearly thirty years later and a lot of legal crap, she was properly credited and paid her royalties.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Currently I'm listening to Mariann Faithfull. Her song Sister Morphine is playing now…
Lyrics by Mariann Faithfull, music by Keith Richards and Mick Jaggar.
It was sad the Rolling Stones made an attempt to steal the song even though Marianne had released it on her album two years before the Rolling Stones released their recording of it on their album Sticky Fingers. All they had to do was list her as a co-writer. Nearly thirty years later and a lot of legal crap, she was properly credited and paid her royalties.
My notebook's "noisemakers" (I refuse to call them "speakers", this is so far below what was once called "hi-fi" … MP3 may have led to a serious lowering of expectations) made it difficult for me to understand most of the lyrics (my tinnitus and other hearing issues probably don't help either). So much good stuff from that 10-year plateau of popular music that has never even remotely been reached since then, and when, mostly by the (naturally aging) participants of that stellar age. 😢

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Time for a late-night tot of rum, and a seductively velvet voice, with just a cat-tongue's touch of roughness.

And maybe a little jazziness, too:

Her English pronunciation has improved since then, BTW.

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I've been listening to Gary Numan. Not sure if you've ever listened to him (other than his song Cars) but he's very good. I've seen him live a few times and he always puts a good show on.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Time for a late-night tot of rum, and a seductively velvet voice, with just a cat-tongue's touch of roughness.

And maybe a little jazziness, too:

Her English pronunciation has improved since then, BTW.

Ehwot?
For the first and third links, I get a message (in German) "Watch this video on YouTube" - must mean directly logged in to YouTube, links seem blocked.
The second link worked OK.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
A couple more from the seriously talented Spica, who unfortunately disbanded in 2017. Without going into the arcana of Kpop, there appear to have been two main problems: they weren't signed to one of the Big 3, and they were first and foremost singers -- Kim Boa is a vocal coach, for gosh sakes. Kpop fans expect elaborate choreography and frenetic dancing -- plus "visuals" -- which leads to "pretty girls" and a lot of lipsynching. Spica preferred to just stand there and sing:

Love the Korean title on this one! :)

I don't know many Kpop groups who would dare to sing live acapella:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was younger, my dad had this album on vinyl (it's from the 70s). My grandfather converted it to a cassette tape and every year when they took my brother and I camping, we would listen to that tape the whole way to the campground and back (no idea how my grandparents didn't go mad from listening to it!). So I've been listening to this album over the weekend as I was out and about. Here are a few of my favorites!

This one's a classic. I never saw this live video of it but it's one of my favorites!

Apparently eefing is a real thing. According to Wikipedia, it's a vocal technique in the Appalachian region of the U.S. similar to beatboxing. I always thought this was a fun one.

Skiffle is another musical type that I had no idea about until I read about this song. Since then, I've listened to more Lonnie Donegan and really like his music. This is one of his best-known songs and was also one of my favorites.

I loved old horror movies even when I was little so this and the next one were two of my other favorites since they were silly monster/haunted house songs. Perfect for Halloween!

John Zacherle was apparently a horror host. While I never had heard of him before this song, the episodes he had show some pretty interesting old movies.

I guess I got a little carried away but these and the rest of the album are gems!

Aldarion

Reaction score
For people who like fantasy-based music. There is Heather Alexander, Heather Dale, Leslie Fish, Mercedes Lackey, S.J. Tucker (these are just ones I listen to regularly). But this one I am posting is related to LotR (or, rather, LotR-inspired) lore:

Miguel

Reaction score
For people who like fantasy-based music. There is Heather Alexander, Heather Dale, Leslie Fish, Mercedes Lackey, S.J. Tucker (these are just ones I listen to regularly). But this one I am posting is related to LotR (or, rather, LotR-inspired) lore:
Sick song. It sounds like something out of the 1st Age.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
my dad had this album on vinyl (it's from the 70s)
Of course, the song is from 1963, when it got to No. 2 on Billboard. Hugely popular; there was even a boardgame in 1965.
Vintage-1965-Camp-Granada-Game-Milton-Bradley-4509.jpg

Somebody on The Simpsons must like him, as they include references from time to time.
helter-shmelter.png

Zacherle was famous in Philly, and then New York, when he moved there, but most big cities -- and many smaller ones -- had horror movie hosts; Cleveland had Ghoulardi, for instance, who often featured this song:

Michael Wheldon, who grew up in Cleveland, frequently ran sections on both Ghoulardi and Papa, in his late, lamented Pschotronic Video magazine.

The "Horror Host" was a phenomenon of the 50's and 60's, after Universal released its horror catalog to TV in 1958: suddenly, "Shock Theater" -- and similarly named series, began giving kids nightmares all over America. Themed hosts soon followed suit. Chicago's Svengoolie, who started as Son of Svengoolie (the original host) in 1979, is incredibly enough still going strong on MeTV. He offers introductions and backgrounds on the movies shown:
And since this is supposed to be the Music thread, often features "songs":

Inevitably, these horror hosts came in for parodies, most hilariously on SCTV in the 70's:
I include this one just for you, Erestor:
Which reminds me that Zacherle had a counterpart in Pittsburgh's own Chilly Billy.

The most famous horror/Halloween song is undoubtedly this one:

Covered a few years later by the great Bonzos:

That wasn't their only "monster" song -- they had this one, which Craig Ferguson mimed in 2010, when he introduced Geoff:

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course, the song is from 1963, when it got to No. 2 on Billboard. Hugely popular; there was even a boardgame in 1965.
View attachment 6136

Somebody on The Simpsons must like him, as they include references from time to time.
View attachment 6137

Zacherle was famous in Philly, and then New York, when he moved there, but most big cities -- and many smaller ones -- had horror movie hosts; Cleveland had Ghoulardi, for instance, who often featured this song:

Michael Wheldon, who grew up in Cleveland, frequently ran sections on both Ghoulardi and Papa, in his late, lamented Pschotronic Video magazine.

The "Horror Host" was a phenomenon of the 50's and 60's, after Universal released its horror catalog to TV in 1958: suddenly, "Shock Theater" -- and similarly named series, began giving kids nightmares all over America. Themed hosts soon followed suit. Chicago's Svengoolie, who started as Son of Svengoolie (the original host) in 1979, is incredibly enough still going strong on MeTV. He offers introductions and backgrounds on the movies shown:
And since this is supposed to be the Music thread, often features "songs":

Inevitably, these horror hosts came in for parodies, most hilariously on SCTV in the 70's:
I include this one just for you, Erestor:
Which reminds me that Zacherle had a counterpart in Pittsburgh's own Chilly Billy.

The most famous horror/Halloween song is undoubtedly this one:

Covered a few years later by the great Bonzos:

That wasn't their only "monster" song -- they had this one, which Craig Ferguson mimed in 2010, when he introduced Geoff:
Yup, I still watch Svengoolie. I'm from Pittsburgh and our local host was Chilly Billy Cardille. He passed away in 2016 but I met him a few times at the monster movie convention I go to every year, super nice guy. I've seen a few of his old episodes and he was pretty awesome. Another horror host I watch/follow some is The Mummy and the Monkey, they come to the convention too and are a lot of fun.

Thread suggestions