🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What music are you listening to at this moment?

Olorgando

Reaction score

And some from Eirini Papadopoulou:
Looking at your fandom of Kpop and Greek music, you seem to have a liking for music with lyrics you don't understand! ;) (Or do you???)
Mind you, this can happen in Germany even when a band nominally has lyrics in German.
They're just not in High German, but in a dialect.
The best-known and most successful German band on whom this label fits is called Bap (or BAP? Hey, there's an English Wikipedia article on them, BAP!).
They started off over 40 years ago, releasing their first album exactly 40 years this year (I have all of the early albums), and have some of German rock's "anthems" to their credit.
"Verdamp lang her" is one of them, the best-known one.
By now, basically only band founder Wolfgang Niedecken remains of the founding members, or long-term members for that.
I remember a German Talkshow with Niedecken and some other luminaries of German media in which one of them said "songs can be great even if you don't understand the words …"

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Oh, I've posted some German stuff too -- though mostly on the Music for Middle Earth thread.

Sort-of-speaking-of-which, I can't let the day pass without marking a big anniversary for Germany -- though I still find it a bit surprising that the anthem for the event turned out to be by this guy:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Oh, I've posted some German stuff too -- though mostly on the Music for Middle Earth thread.

Sort-of-speaking-of-which, I can't let the day pass without marking a big anniversary for Germany -- though I still find it a bit surprising that the anthem for the event turned out to be by this guy:

Well, he had a spot of good luck in releasing the "Looking For Freedom" Album less than half a year before the Berlin Wall fell. And as a solo performer, it was much easier for him to be on the spot at the Berlin Wall on New Year's Eve 1989. I remember the Scorpions' megahit "Winds Of Change" also being an anthem of the times, but Wikipedia points out that the album it was on only appeared almost exactly a year after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and so post-reunification on 03 October 1990.

Ah, but that article also releases a bee in my bonnet about a performance of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in Berlin. Wikipedia:
"The Wall – Live in Berlin was a live concert performance by Roger Waters and numerous guest artists, of the Pink Floyd studio album The Wall, itself largely written by Waters during his time with the band. The show was held in Berlin on 21 July 1990, to commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall eight months earlier. A live album of the concert was released 21 August 1990. A video of the concert was also commercially released." The Scorpions were among the guest artists; hoo boy, that lineup of guest artists makes this concert look like a legit successor to the legendary Woodstock!

Thread suggestions