🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What music are you listening to at this moment?

Olorgando

Reaction score
Yeah that song was a theme between me and my 1st wife. I wish I still had the photographs of us trying to mimic the Rumours album cover.
On a slight bend.... covers of The Chain
I like this tribute/cover band called 'Tusk's performance of The Chain...
A black metal version by Taking Dawn
And a nice heartfelt cover by Jordana...
And The Highwomen did a respectable cover for the movie soundtrack The Kitchen
Erm … you're as nutty as I am, WashingStralian!!! Four song links in a single post ...
Or even nuttier? At least I linked four different songs (I think … and am currently too lazy to check back on).

But I think you made one point quite clear with your post. Bands dealing with covers of monster songs should heed one warning:

Do.
Not.
Mess.
With.
Essentials.

(PJ, what led you so badly astray too often???)
😡

Olorgando

Reaction score
"Tirage au Sort" by The Ever After, a band originally from New York that suddenly sings in french, that's interesting, to say the least...
My French is very far away from perfect, having learned it (and by now forgotten too much) in high school in the US from 1969 to 1972, and again (filling some gaps) in a company course in the mid-to-late-1980s). But I still had the impression that these New Yorkers had not entirely shed their American accents … 🤔

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
One of my favorite animated movie's themes, Howl's Moving Castle

The first Miyazaki film I ever saw:

Yeah, it was the old "Warriors of the Wind" US version -- still haven't managed to see the 2005 restored one. Here's the orchestral suite:

Somebody made a mowe, if you've never seen it:

Edit: Wow -- I just noticed something: try clicking just the red icons on the soundtrack and the mowe footage simultaneously! :D

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
OK, I guess I'm the only Kpop fan here on TTF, so apologies for posting so many -- but -- I just stumbled across a rare Mamamoo session with a biggish band. As a sax player, I'm partial to horn sections! At least check out the jazzy selections -- one at the beginning, and the other at about 11:10:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Yeah that song was a theme between me and my 1st wife. I wish I still had the photographs of us trying to mimic the Rumours album cover.

On a slight bend.... covers of The Chain

I like this tribute/cover band called 'Tusk's performance of The Chain...

A black metal version by Taking Dawn

And a nice heartfelt cover by Jordana...

And The Highwomen did a respectable cover for the movie soundtrack The Kitchen
Besides Halasían's above four versions of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" that he personally posted here, and the other one he quoted, an original live version posted by myself earlier (and never mind my post even earlier of the studio version!), I have used this thread from my earliest post here as a kind of repository of my "best of" songs. None of it ballad stuff. My ears are once again ringing ...

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Pinnacle of The Who's live performances! Pete Townshend and Roger Daltry were hitting it solid, and John Entwistle was a monster with the rolling bass line, and that beautifully most uncoordinated drumming genius of Rock n Roll, Keith Moon! He looks like he has four arms and two left feet!

Rest in Peace
Keith Moon - 23 August 1946 – 7 September 1978
John Entwistle - 9 October 1944 – 27 June 2002

Olorgando

Reaction score
Erm ...
Since S-eS has been posting K-pop without end shamelessly here, I thought I might try it with a non-English language a bit closer to home.
And with the group BAP, giants of German popular music for 40 years.

And with their anthem. This is Germany's "Smoke On The Water" as far as the refrain goes (and I once was among the 60 000 open-air visitors back in the late 1980s in Germany who roared that world refrain by Deep Purple!). People from the Danish border in the north to the Austrian / Swiss one in the south know it. Chose a 2001 live concert.

Up to about the 1990s (even later?), the peerless pop, more rock TV show (showing the live concerts way past normal "program shutdown" normally not long after midnight - private, commercial-financed TV starting in the mid-1980s changed all that) was "Rockpalast", produced by the western Germany subsidiary WDR of the federally organized channel 1. BAP had laid down an awesome performance (including encores). I watched this show, and for at least 10 to 15 minutes, while the band members, most of all founder and head Wolfgang Niedecken were being interviewed, the hall of several thousand spectators kept up an anything but dull roar of the refrain. When the band returned to the stage, Niedecken's question to the audience was "are you absolutely stir crazy???" After an earthquake answer of "Yes!!!!!!" BAP tore into a few more of their biggies - or one in a long version; it's been a while.

Oh ... a P.S.: you do not need to feel bad in the least if you do not understand the lyrics. Upwards of 80% of Germans don't, either. This is Cologne dialect. That live concert was in Cologne.

And a P.P.S.: for most of Niedecken's lyrics, this is a damn shame; I (and not alone) consider him Germany's Dylan - with differences in style, certainly.

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Oh oh ... reminded me of a song from about the same period.
Really good guitar work, I would say:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Yeah, nutty … how did I traverse to Phil Collins (or that band he used to be involved with).

WTH

Thread suggestions