🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What order should I read the Chronicles of Narnia in?

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Oh, Ick! Peter and Edmund and Aslan? Achingly boring! All the types that you see in way too many stories! The Edmund guy wasn't that bad in the beginning, though. oh well. Those giants in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe and Prince Caspian weren't too bad, either.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Well Aslan was pretty good as a character...though i dont understand what he was going on about in Prince Caspian at the end, where he was running around and i think he was releasing everyone or somthing...i never got it :confused:

syongstar

Elf Musician
Reaction score
CS Lewis

I liked Voyage of the dawn treader ,Prince Capcium and The Magicians Nephew the best.
A boy and his horse is good,too.
The great battle was to violent for me and the canabalism in the silver chair freaked me out.
I was'nt to wild about the lion the witch and the wardrobe but it does introduce you to the charaters and explain the Dr.Who Tardus of a closet.

Boromir

Reaction score
I'm reading The Magicians Nephew right now, so far I like it. Digory just put the ring on and went to Narnia, (At least I think it's Narnia.)

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Probably not Narnia. You'll know it when you get there.

I read it in Publishing order and liked it that way. A lot of newer box sets will give them to you in the chronological however.

My favorite was the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I like Lucy.

Rhiannon

is one hand clapping
Reaction score
As mentioned elsewhere, I'm violently opposed to the Chronicles being packaged or read in anything other than publishing order...it's wrong, it's all wrong....*sits in corner muttering to self*

Flame of Udûn

Durin's Bane
Reaction score
In one of his letters Jack himself said that the books should be read in chronological order. (C. S. Lewis' Letters to Children)
And, by the way, the flying horse was Fledge, previously known as Strawberry.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Boromir
I'm reading The Magicians Nephew right now, so far I like it. Digory just put the ring on and went to Narnia, (At least I think it's Narnia.)
I believe it would be either, The Wood Between Worlds, or Charn ;)

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Yes we do silly, :D When they go their one theit way back from Charn, on their way to Narnia and on their way home ;)

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I should've been more technical. . .I meant that it wasn't in any other book.

However, when I was little that place sort of unnerved me because you could wander around in it forever and ever and ever. . .

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
And fall asleep for ever and ever and ever....*sigh* wish i had a pair of those rings :( :cool:

Flame of Udûn

Durin's Bane
Reaction score
The Magician's Nephew should be first, not fifth, and The Horse and His Boy third, not sixth. I don't know what type of boxed set you got.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Flame of Udûn
The Magician's Nephew should be first, not fifth, and The Horse and His Boy third, not sixth. I don't know what type of boxed set you got.
Probibly in the publishing order....

Rhiannon

is one hand clapping
Reaction score
I think the publishing order is the only proper order to read anything in, because that's the order in which the author concieved them. </opinionated>

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Yes, that makes sense, too. Like reading The Hobbit, Lord Of The Rings, then The Silmarillion. Even though The Sil. should come first. oh well. But then, these books aren't especially hard to understand like The Sil. could be if you read it first.

Rhiannon

is one hand clapping
Reaction score
Yes, but the point is still that you start with one idea (going in to a wardrobe and finding a country), and then go back to find out the why (the wardrobe was made out of an particular tree)- by switching them you change the starting point, and it alters things completely.

Wonko The Sane

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Reaction score
The Dark Tower, 'neath the growing threat in the E
I agree with Rhia.
I read them in publishing order.
And I found it to be VERY helpful.
Since "Lion..." was conceived first it's the most logical starting place, and if you being with "...Nephew" well...the entire tone is changed.
My brother read them in chronological order, while I read them in publishing order, and we both ended up with very different concepts of the series.
And I think I ended up with a better appreciation for the series because I was able to see the author's scope in a more cohesive way.

I did go back and read them in chronological order, but I only found that a good way to go AFTER reading them in publishing order.

Thread suggestions