🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What order should I read the Chronicles of Narnia in?

Flame of Udûn

Durin's Bane
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rhiannon
I think the publishing order is the only proper order to read anything in, because that's the order in which the author concieved them. </opinionated>
They are not the order in which he conceived them, only in which he wrote them. As I mentioned previously, Lewis wanted and intended them to be read in chronological order.

Wonko The Sane

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Reaction score
The Dark Tower, 'neath the growing threat in the E
To each his own.

You can't force people to do something against what they want to do...so let's just say that some people think it's best to read them one way, others another way, and let Eliot pick which methoid is best for him based on what we've already said.

Scene.

Rhiannon

is one hand clapping
Reaction score
Why write them out of order if he already knew how everything was going to happen?

Wonko The Sane

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Reaction score
The Dark Tower, 'neath the growing threat in the E
That's a good question...but maybe he felt the idea that was most developed was the one in "Lion..." and wanted to write it down first...

But either way, I think publishing order is important...It helps show the author's development of the story, because even if he DID have the vision all together before he started, things inevitably change in tone, style, and sophistication as one continues on.

jallan

Reaction score
Some people very much like to read books in the order they are supposed to have happened in regardless of the order in which the author envisioned them.

They may be interested in seeing the author’s complete vision as finally achieved. They may be more interested in the connected stories for their own sake than in how the author himself or herself developped and changed

Others like to see the author’s vision develop as it did for the author.

Neither way is wrong.

Some ways do seem wrong to me. I recall a friend who decided he was going to read all the Greek tragedies. In those pre-computer days he wrote down the names and authors on index cards, one card for each work in the supposed order of composition.

But he somehow got the cards in reversed order and started reading from Eurpides' last tragedies backward towards Aeschylus' first known tragedy.

He realised soon what had happened but decided to continue that way.

I think I agree with C.S. Lewis that reading them in their chronological order as they are supposed to have happened is better in this case but I also agree with C.S. Lewis that for these books it doesn’t matter very much.

But then I’m the kind of person who very much likes to read things in order according to the chronology of a series unless there is some particular reason why I shouldn’t for that partcular series.

Others differ.

Aragorn21

On fire
Reaction score
In the land of India, where the monkeys dance
I read the CON, and i LOVED them. I read the through in order, but it would be possible and would still make sense if you read the Magician's Nephew first then read them in order. 'Sup to you what order you read them in, as long as you read them. :rolleyes:

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I never knew what the published order was, so I always assumed that I'd read them (a long long time ago) in chronological order. Now that someone's enlightened me, I realise that i unintentionally did read them in the order that they were published.

However, that's only because I found books 1, 3 and 7 pretty freaky and of a completely different tone to the other 4 and, as a kid, preferred the ones that were written first. So I just skipped the "boring" ones. Now, at the age of 20, I much prefer to read them in the chronological order because I like to see Narnia evolve.

The first and last books still freak me out though ...

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I don't like the "between worlds" thing that goes on in both of them. As a kid it messed with my head to think that there were ways of jumping in and out of worlds through a "no-mans land". And then the end of the last book PROPERLY messed with my head!

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
I love the between the worlds thing. Though I can understand why a little kid would get thoroughly freaked out at them. Of course, I've always been the sort to prefer worlds that don't really exist. I live in my own little world. What was it about the no man's land that freaked you out? Fear of someone getting lost in there?

I actually prefer the published order for those who read the books through the first time. I know people who have read it both ways and think the published order is better because to some extent the books' content gets progressively harder and more complex. The first published books are simpler in their approach. However, at this point I think I would read them in whatever order struck my fancy. I just think first time readers are better off reading the books in the published order.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Finally! A Narnia chat! I love Narnia.
I read then in Chronicalogical order as well. The..um...first time...*grin* I think that my favorite way to read them is like this:

MN, LWW, PC, VDT, HB, SC, LB. (Don't mind the abriviations)

That's just me.

My fav is probobly PC and then HB. But I love them all! :D

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Which ones? If you're talking about the new ones, no.

If you're talking about the animated LWW that "Feature Family Films" did years back, yes.

And if you're talking about the ones where Lucy looks like a chipmunk, yeah....I have them all.

Out of those, I think SC was the best. They way they did Puddleglum was almost exsactly like I pictured it. :D

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
I have The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and The Silver Chair movies. I'm guessing they are the ones you say Lucy looks like a chipmunk. I have to say I always liked Lucy in those movies, even though she's nowhere near how I would imagine her from the books.

When I was a lot younger, I read The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe, because I had the movie and loved it. I loved it so much... I would go into any closet or anything, hoping it would take me to Narnia. I sometimes even wonder if that has anything to do with me loving LOTR so much.

But anyways... I never really got a chance to read all of the Narnia books, and then I finally made up my mind that I had to. So this year, I convinced my dad to order the books. I read them all in the order they were in my boxed set. It went well for me, reading them in that order. I did though read LWW long before any of them. The only thing I wish is that I could have read them when I was younger.

King Aragorn

Reaction score
I'm talking about the movies that the BBC put out. Currently watching The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and then I'll watch The Silver Chair. I don't own The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe though. :(

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
Wow... I have Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe, and the Silver Chair, but NOT The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. If I want to watch that one, I have to get it from the Library.

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
Oh OK. It's OK that I didn't know that though since it's the one I don't have, right? :p But anyways, I had to get it from the Library and it wasn't on a tape, it was on a DVD.

Thread suggestions