🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What order should I read the Chronicles of Narnia in?

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I'm finally reading The Chronicles of Narnia books. I'm following the order that is on the back of one of the books I took out of the library. I really don't know if it is the correct order or not...but I'm going with it regardless.

The order is as follows:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- I finished in 3 days (but probably could've finished it sooner though if I didn't put it down so many times)

Prince Caspian
-finished in one day.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- I started this one today - and am about halfway through

The book then suggest the following order

The Silver Chair

The Horse and His Boy

The Magician's Nephew

The Last Battle

Now I wanted to simply read the books in it's consolidated 1 book form "The Chronicles of Narnia", which I figure would be in the correct order...but my local library didn't carry it. I priced out the book at Barnes and Noble and Borders and a few other book stores such as Penn Books and some other local bookstores...but I couldn't find it for anything less than $21. Much more than what I wanted to spend on a single book at this time. So I am trying to be content in reading the chronicles in the order that this publisher suggests. Hopefully it doesn't ruin my experience. Oh well...:rolleyes:

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
[2cents]

I love the Chronicles of Narnia! I read them in the publishing order, then went back and read them in the 'right' order. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader used to be my favorite, but as I got older, I liked The Last Battle more. LL&W will, of course, always be a classic, but I'm going with TLB as my favorite. Though...:eek:...The Silver Chair was cool one they got past the boring first half.

[/2cents]

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
he, now I read them in Chroncalogical order first time thought, then in publishing order, and I've read them so many times since then I can't remember.

Rule #1: TMN is pretty much the only one your can read without confusing yourself about order.

Rule #2: Make sure you read LWW befor eyou read HHB, becuase otherwise you will go nuts with confusion.

Rule #3: It really is a good idea to read PC, then VDT, then SC.

Rule #4: LB goes last, as said in the title. Read all the others before LB, please....

lol. All of this is obviously just my opinion, but I've been called a walking Narnia dictionary, so who would pay me any heed? :p ;) :D

Hammersmith

Irresistible Ork Child
Reaction score
I read them in a decidedly random order, but I have no idea what that order was. Just remember: The Horse And His Boy and The Magician's Nephew are the best two. I'll also second Firawyn's plea to save The Last Battle until...er...last.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
well i read them in order of number and that makes the most sense to me

Majimaune Leganimdok

ps whos going to see the movie lion witchg and the wordrobe?
hope its good
pps it comes out on boxing day for me wich means i have to wait till then which sux

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
*frown* That's not a very nice thing to say...;)

Okay, I'll make it worse anyway. Every Christmas, my boss give each employee a give pack for the local theater that include food and drink cupond and free admision to like six movies...and can you guess what movie I'll be seeing first thing??? :D :p

Thread suggestions