🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What Stopped Gollum from claiming the Ring?

Wood Elf

Reaction score
What Stopped Gollum?

Anyone who has possesion of the Ring could take it, put it on their finger, and declare themself the lord of the world right? Frodo obviously fought this urge until the very end. My question is, if when Gollum had the ring for all that time, why didn't he just simply do that? What was stopping him? He really didn't have much morals, and even followed F&S all the way to Mordor in hopes of getting his precious back. Maybe he didn't know that he could do that?

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
IMO He did not know what he had. The wise knew and they knew how to use it (Gandalf, Galadriel etc). I don't even think Frodo wanted to take over the world in the end he just wanted it like Gollum did. So why did Gollum not use it to take over the world. He didn't know how to "harness” the power of the ring, and he was afraid that some one would take it from him. But that’s just my option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Isildur in UT DotGF says that he has not the power to bend the Ring to his will, that it needs someone greater than him. Gandalf says in the RoTK the Last Debate that Sauron would know it would take some time for someone to learn how to use it, and to put down others that would try to claim it.

So it ain't easy.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Oh, I see. Its not like "oh, hey, now I'm ruler of Middle Earth". If Frodo or Gollum, or Isildur for that matter, had suceeded in keeping it on long enough, they would have to fight Sauron, and all his orcs and other hideous creatures too to become real ruler.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Wood Elf
Oh, I see. Its not like "oh, hey, now I'm ruler of Middle Earth". If Frodo or Gollum, or Isildur for that matter, had suceeded in keeping it on long enough, they would have to fight Sauron, and all his orcs and other hideous creatures too to become real ruler.

You have to have power of your own to unlock the power enclosed in the ring. You have to use the use your power but once it is on your finger one of the wise wouldn't be able 2 release it because sauron put all of his evilness, greedyniss and want into it. It also has a mind of it's own (a little bit) and once you have put more power into it trying to use it it's grip would get stronger. I think the more times you put it on your finger the harder it is to give away since more and more of your will gets attached 2 the ring. Gollum had extremely little power of his own and there is no way he could use it. Frodo didn't want to take over the world he just wanted the ring for himself like gollum. But the people would have to be pretty strong to "use" it if isiludur couldn't he must have been one of the more powerful "men" the 2nd and 3rd ages had seen. Maybe he didn't know how???

Bucky

Reaction score
Greeenleaf's on the $$.
Gollum didn't know what he had. It was just a nice ring to make him invisible, which Gandalf says he used to 'find out secrets' before being kicked out of his settlement or town.

On the power issue, Galadriel tells Frodo "You have not tried (to see other ringbearer's thoughts) & first you would have to train your will to the domination of others."

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Gollum didn't want to take over the world because he's the greatest! He was just helping in his own little way by staying up in the mountains and eating orcs. He just liked being invisible and he wasn't going to go crazy with having a really great powerful Ring like Saruman or some other stupid person. Yay Gollum!

Thread suggestions