🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

What the hell are Balrogs?

StriderX

Reaction score
I am reading the LotR right now and I am currently on the RotK. I have never once heard anything about Balrogs. Did I miss something? What exactly are they?

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Yes. Go back to FOTR. (Or watch the movie). They are pretty bad guys who may or may not have wings.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Yet so great was the power of his uprising that in ages forgotten he contended with Manwë and all the Valar, and through long years in Arda held dominion over most of the lands of the Earth. But he was not alone. for of the Maiar many were drawn to his splendour in the days of his greatness, and remained in that allegiance down into his darkness; and others he corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and treacherous gifts. Dreadful among these spirits were the Valaraukar, the scourges of fire that in Middle-earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror.
From the Silmarillion.

The Balrogs were Ainur fire spirits who were drawn to Melkor in the begining. They appeared as creatures of Fire and Shadow. They cloacked themselves in darkness which made it difficult to see what they looked like and they spread terror before amongst their enemies.

And apart from all that the answer is "ME":p

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Gothmog
From the Silmarillion.

The Balrogs were Ainur fire spirits who were drawn to Melkor in the begining. They appeared as creatures of Fire and Shadow. They cloacked themselves in darkness which made it difficult to see what they looked like and they spread terror before amongst their enemies.

And apart from all that the answer is "ME":p

that is eaxtcly right.

StriderX

Reaction score
That helps a lot. Thanks. Now I remember hearing of them in the Fellowship.

Nocturno

Reaction score
But did they have wings? Nooooooooooooooooo!:D :D :D :D

But seriously, you'll need to really go to the Silmarillion to understand the whole thing on Melkor, the Ainur, the Valar, etc. I believe even the name of Morgoth is rarely mentioned in the LOTR.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
:D :D :D That is right, they are fallen fire Ainur (Maiar) drawn into the service of Morgoth. Do you suppose they were as great as Arien (Maia of Fire, the MAIA who made the sun?)?:confused: :D :D :D

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: BALROGS HAVE WINGS!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Morgaphry
Why can't anyone seem to grasp the truth that Balrogs have wings!
There are numerous references to their wings in FotR and the Appendices.
Well why don't you be the next one to try to prove that I have wings.

:D :D :D :D

Nocturno

Reaction score
The being looked pretty confused and anxious as he approached the bright presence of Eru Ilúvatar.

- "What is troubling thou, my son?"

- "Oh high lord, I'm blinded by your holy sight, and grateful as am I of being allowed to come to you before being thrown into the darkness again, still a burning question eats into my soul"

- "Askest thou, for everything is beautiful at the eyes of Ilúvatar, even the black shadow that sorrounds thee, and that bright whip of flame thou holdeth in thy hands"

- Ages have come and gone, eternity has been but as a second to me and yet I still cannot answer this riddle.

- What may be troubling thou that much?

The Balrog made an effort to overcome his fear and owe, and finnaly burst it out.

- Eru, Ilúvatar, high and mighty above all.
Is it true that I have wings or not? For people see them and I can almost feel them, but others deny it and they are gone like a shadow or a bad dream.

Ilúvatar smiled and answered:

- My son, so misguided that thou cannot look yourself in the mirror of a clear stream to find out! Ask thyself this:
Does it really matter?
Gothmog, my son, thou are so dead, for so long that who would really care?
Come, cheer up and let us sing a song. I've been working on some new ideas since you all left, and my second born have issued so many new rythms, like rock'n roll, and a thing called rap...
Who knows what kind of world can we create with that?

Gothmog's jaw opened so wide that the whole universe seemed to fit inside...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nocturno

Reaction score
Angels on the head of a pin

In the middle ages, well after the fall of Rome, the italian cities fought cruelly between each other, the Roman-German empire fought fruitlessly to consolidate itself, the Bizantine empire struggled to maintain its shrinking and hole-filled borders.
Cities were razed, statues, libraries, art, people were completely destroyed everyday.
You know what the main discussion was in those times?
How many angels could stand on the head of a pin.
Endless arguments and estimations, constant recurrence to the scriptures and wars over which text was aprocrif or not.
The point is not whether they should be discussing that or not. One can discuss everything.
The point is centuries passed and they NEVER were able to build consensus on it.
Does it remind you of anything? :)

Nocturno

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing.
I like politician's jargon some times. They invented the phrase:
"At this point we agree on disagreeing on the subject"
Isn't it beautiful?:D

Thread suggestions