🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Whats some of your favorite quotes from LotR?

Elenciryaquen

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the board, but not to Tolkien :D And thought I'd ask a question. Whats some of everyones favorites quotes from LotR, you can post as many or as little as you want! Heres some of mine ....

"Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end
of our fellowship in Middle-earth.
Go in peace!
I will not say: do not weep;for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf

"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way." - Frodo

"What are you going to do then?" asked Pippin', undaunted by the wizards's bristling brows. "Knock on the doors with your head, Pergrin Took!" said Gandalf. "But if that does not shatter them, and I'm allowed a little piece from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words." - Pippin/Gandalf

"Come, Mr. Frodo" he cried. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you as well as it. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him wear to go and he'll go." - Sam

"The board is set and the pieces are moving" - Gandalf

"I fancy, that even if we had entered in, we could have found few treasures in Orthanc more precious than the thing which Wormtongue threw down at us." A shrill shriek, suddenly cut off, came from a open window high above. "It seems Saruman thinks so too!" - Gandalf

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"- Gandalf

"Mercy!" cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?" "The names of all the stars, and all the living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven, and of the Sundering Seas," laughed Pippin. "Of course! What else?" - Gandalf/Pippin

"Listen, Hound of Sauron! Gandalf is here. Fly, if you value your foul skin! I will shrivel you from tail to snout, if you come within this ring!" - Gandalf

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - Gimil

And I could go on, but I shall not! ;)

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Hello How are you, well sorry to not post all the quotes, but I have read the LOTR in Spanish, and if I translate them it will be a mess :D but last night I was reading (again) the Fellowship and reading your post I remebered this part made me laugh:

What are you going to do then?" asked Pippin', undaunted by the wizards's bristling brows. "Knock on the doors with your head, Pergrin Took!" said Gandalf. "But if that does not shatter them, and I'm allowed a little piece from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words." - Pippin/Gandalf

I thinks is the funiest part!!

L

legendz28

I don't really have a favorite quote, but my favorite scene (from the book anyway, I don't know if it'll make it entirely to the movie) are the scenes with the Ents. Treebeard is great, so is Quickbeam.

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
Best quote from the book

Came from someone a while ago. It went like this:

Gollum: "Don't want fish"

Best one from the book...period.

:D :D :D
JoA

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Beleg Strongbow has beaten me to it with his first quote above. If everyone adopted the philosophy behind that quote the world would be a far better and happier place.

H

Harad

"Ai! Ai! A Balrog. A Balrog is come!"

And thanks Elenciryaquen for the quote about "White"

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Heh. I just mentioned this in another thread. One of my all time favourite quotes has to be from FotR : The Ring Goes South pg. 303. It's where Sam mutters to Frodo about thinking Redhorn was "that Fiery Mountain" :

"I thought at first that this here Redhorn, or whatever its name is, might be it, till Gimli spoke his piece. A fair jaw-cracker dwarf-language must be!"

That just kills me! It's so simple and somewhat ordinary/normal response to something you've never really come in contact with, yet it says so much about where the Hobbits where, how unwordly (at least Sam was) and how far they then come.

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
My fovourite Gollum quote is the sneak one.....
Sam starts telling him off about being a sneak....Gollum starts using the word Sneak.

I also like (not exact quote) "Taters, whats taters? ... eh? Whats taters?"

My favourite quote of Gandalf is "Fly you fools!" Thats the most hereoic line in the whole novel.

Favourite elf quote is "If you want him, come and claim him... Ouch I broke a nail!" (Thanks whosever signature I read that off of.!)

Rian

Reaction score
My favorite qoute? Hmm I have so many! Some have already been taken too. Here are few more, but not all, that I like.

Gandalf to Frodo; "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Gildor to Frodo; "Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

Theoden to Saruman; "we will have peace, when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark master to whom you would deliver us."

Gimli at the paths of the dead; ' "Here is a thing unheard of!" he said. "An Elf will go underground and a Dwarf dare not!" '

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Y'know, I can't help but have the feeling that the folks around here whose favorite quotes are Gollum quotes would like to pinch li'l Smeagol's cheeks and cuddle him. :)

Edit: "He pinched me cheekses! Nassssty Kit Bagginses." :)

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I've not got a copy with me so these may not be exact.

"it was the pity of Bilbo that may rule the fate of many."
Gandalf

"are you going to bury me?":(
Merry

"and I brought you here to test your heart?"
Galadriel

Frodo to Smeagol "where have you been?"
"sneaking!" Smeagol

"They are far"
Legolas

"i will take the ring" "but I do not know the way"
Frodo

"I know less than half of you half as much as I should like. And like less than half of you half as much as you desrevre"
Bilbo

I could on and on..........

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
JoA, I almost have to agree. Gollum is the single most hilarious, as well as tragic, character, and nearly every phrase he utters is humorous. Good ole Gollum. :)
But I still think this is one of the best quotes:

"What a pity that Bilbo didn't stab that vile creature, when he had the chance!"
"Pity? It was pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity."

Great quote, I say.

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score

Pont,

Amen to that!!

That whole discussion between Gandalf & Frodo is by far IMHO the wisest and most valuable portion of the book (to mankind that is..) In fact I just about screamed "HOOO-RAYYY!" out loud in the theater when I saw the somewhat abridged version on screen (despite being WAY out of place in the story). One of my mental joys this year (and last).

As for another quote that gets to me.

It is the one when Eowyn awakes in the House of Healing and exclaims:

"The halfling, where is he? For he is Valiant! Eomer, you must make him a knight of the Riddermark.."

Or something to that effect. It gets me every time.

JoA

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
Here are some of my favorites:

Far above the Ephel Duath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thougt pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!' Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man a I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.' -Go Eowyn!!!

'You have grown, Halfling,' he said. 'Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise and cruel. You have robbed my revenge of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you! Well, I go and I will trouble you no more.' - That isn't the entire passage, but it would be a bit to long to type the whole thing

'I tried to save the shire, and it has been saved, but not or me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.' -that part is just so sad :(

Thread suggestions