🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

When you read LotR for the first time..

shadowfax_g

Reaction score
When you read the LotR for the first time, were you convinced that:

1) Gandalf was gone at Moria for ever?
2) Frodo was dead by Shelob's attack?

As for me,
1) Yes. I totaly believed then, but before I reached "The White Rider", I happened to find a description of '.. said Gandalf' in later part (stupid of me!).

2) No. I did not think a hero would die in the middle of the story.

How about you?

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
1. Yes, I thought that they would both die by the fall.

2. Yes, I thought Sam was going to take his master's place as the RingBearer.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes and Unsure...

For the first question, on my first reading, I actually stopped reading the book for a few days because I was upset...

When I read the attack by Shelob, I was actually unsure whether he was actually living...

Nicholas Blake

Reaction score
1) Yes! I did, I was bummed that the old geezer bought the farm, and cheered (Literally) after I read the White Rider chapter. Actually, I had no idea who "Mithrandir" was, so it tooke even longer for me to figure out that Gandalf returned... :p

2) Yes! Sam had started to become my favorite character, and I thought it was a great twist that Sam was the new hero. Then, I let out a sigh of relief when Frodo was found to be alive!

And, what about:

3) Did you think that Pippin died under the troll at the Black Gates?

Me, yes (again)! Pippin was another favorite character of mine, and I drew a sketch of (my interpretation of) Pippin and used it as a bookmark in a homage to the little guy. Of course, I was quite confused after the ring had been destroyed, and low and behold: Pippin lives!

:D

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
1. Yes.
2. Yes, I was so sure that i cried...
3. Yes again. I figured one of the hobbits would die...

R

Rohansangel

1) No, I actually didn't think Gandalf had died, as weird as it seems ... Maybe my sense of reasoning was stronger at age 8.

2) I did think he died, but when he was captured I was convinced he must have been alive.

"and that's all I have to say about that"

~The Angel of Rohan

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA- the mudskipp
1) no, I didn't think that he would die, I don't know why. maybe because my dad had died a week earlier than when I read that oart, and it didn't seem to me like he had gotten their greif right... I dunno.

2) At first, yes (i cried:( ), but then I realized it couldn't be, because i had recently bought a book of Tolkien illustrations, and there was a picture in there of Frodo facing down Saruman n tSotS, so I knew it could't be.

3) yes, it made me mad (Pip is my fav character)

legoman

Humourous Bombadillian #2
Reaction score
a) not in the slightest, Gandalf is the ultimate charater in the book, he's THE wizard they couldn't kill him off. but then a friend of mine went on for ages (after I'd read that and before I got to the bit were he reappears) and actually convinced me that he had died. I was glad he did cos then I enjoyed the fact that he survived even more.

b) I wasn't sure, after the above thing I thought that they wouldn't kill him off and I'd been told that old frodo lost a finger, so I presumed he wasn't.

almost forgot
c)no, the writing didn't seem to be dramatic enough to be a death scene, one second he's on a horse, the next he's under a troll.

R

Rohansangel

Almost forgot --

I didn't think Pippin had died, I liked the little guy too much to think he had died. Whenever a character I like dies, I go into denial ... it's a thing with me. I did, however, think he was doomed when Old Man Willow swallowed him up. And I'd like to add that as a question, if you don't mind ---

4) Did you think that Merry and Pippin would die when Old Man Willow swallowed them up?

~The Angel of Rohan

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
1)Yes I believed he had died, but something deep inside me told me that we hadn't seen the last of the old guy yet.

2)Yes, I actually thought he had died for good. My heart was crushed for some time, in the choices of master Sam, but I kept on reading till the end of the book. I was so surprised when I read about Frodo being alive that the book sliped from my hands and fell on the floor.

3)Yes, I trully believed this, and felt proud of Pippin, having the most glorious death. But I was also relieved to see him alive.

4)No, not for a moment. I was sure that someone would save them.

shadowfax_g

Reaction score
I should answer 3) and 4) :)

No and No. I hadn't thought of their death even the slightest. Compared with Boromir's death scene, they were too quick and easy for the death of main characters.

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
1~ Yes, I was very upset. But I accidently dropped my book, and when I picked it up I saw 'Gandalf' written on one of the pages.
2~ Yes. I cried. I thought it was horrible to kill Frodo off in the middle of the book. But, again, I was flipping through the book randomly and I saw his name in the back. How horrible am I?:D
3~ Not at all. Dont know why I didnt think he was dead, I just didnt.
4~ Absolutely not. How could they kill off two characters in the VERY BEGINNING of the book.

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
1) No. It just didn't seem reasonable that Gadalf would die even before the end of the first book. And when the elves said he had fallen into shadow (instead of died)I knew I was right.

2) Yes. Frodo was my favorite character and I figured it would be my luck that he would die. I almost stopped reading the book then and there!

3) No. It seemed to be handled too lightly, besides, how could JRRT kill off little Pippin?

4) No. It never even crossed my mind that they might be doomed. That's always been one of my favorite parts of the story, actually.

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
to #4) I did not think that Pip and Merry were doomed, but I did think that if bad stuff was happening to them before the had barely left the Shire, they were probably going to come back with severe emotional trauma from the Quest. btw, this is kinda off the subject, but did anyone ever feel really sorry for M&P? esp. Pip? I mean they are pretty much the b***hes of the whole story! Everything happens to them! When will they ever get a break?!

Mithrandir

Mithers the Grand Wizard
Reaction score
1. Yes when Gandalf fell into the pit I actually stopped reading the book for a whole week because I was so angry.

2. Yes but I was not that upset.

3.Yes i did and yet again I was very angered but too intrigued to stop reading because I was at the end.

4. No I did not, I just couldn't stop laughing. Just imagine a big tree with these random fury feet sticking out of the side, heehee It still makes me laugh.
~Mithers

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
1. No, I thought Gandalf was too mighty to be killed just like that, although I was surprised that he reappeared just at the moment that he did; I wasn't sure then that it was Gandalf (I thought it might be Saruman).
2. No, I didn't think the hero of the story would be killed before the end. But it is a very sad part of the book, and I cried when I read it!
3. At first I thought Pip had died, but I couldn't really believe it. He is one of my favorite characters (after Merry), so how could they kill him???
4. No, I just thought it was funny, but not that they would die of it.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
1)Yes. I was crushed. I first read LOTR nearly 40 years ago and I still remember the shock.

2)I wasn't sure. I thought probably yes, but you find out very that he is not dead so I don't really remember very well.

3)Yes. Having read The Hobbit some years earlier and thus knowing that Tolkien was an author who could kill main characters at the end, I thought he probably was dead.

4)No. As EverEve said, it was way to early in the book to be killing characters.

M

Mormegil

1. No. I saw Bakshi's version of the film when I was about 5, and when I read the book aged 8 or 9, I remembered things. I knew that Gandalf would return.

2. Yes, I thought Frodo was dead and that Sam would cemplete the quest.

3. No, I didn't think Pippin was dead, but I don't know why. I should have, the way it was written.

4. No. It was more funny than scary.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Ok let me see.

1) No, I read TTT before FOTR :D so I knew that Gandalf did not die.
2) Yes I was sure that frodo have died and that Sam would finally cast the ring in the mount doom.
3) MM no didnt think that Pipin was dead.
4) Again no I was hoping that Tom or Frodo would do something.

and I have another question that really really surprised me:

5) Did you notice that Dermhelm was Eowyn???
I did not it was a big surprise!!! :eek: :eek:

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
To #5: That totally suprised me! I was thinking that there were going to be no good female characters, and it was really cheesing me off!(Inspite of my alias, yes I am of the fairer sex) I had stayed home from school "sick";) (heeheeheehee!) to finish off TTT and RotK. I actually squealed when I read, "It is no man that faces you, but a WOMAN!" *shivers*

Thread suggestions