🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Where Do Members Of The Guild Stand On Peter Jackson's Films?

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
I was wondering what the members of this fine guild made of the Trilogy. I myself, enjoyed the movies immensely, despite being disappointed in moderation at sections jumbled and omitted, but as films I enjoyed them greatly for what they were. Albeit, I got odd looks from my friends, as well as the audiance around me when I explained various aspects of character traits that the film had ommitted. The 2nd time I went to see it, I got into a half hour dicussion (mainly a monologue) with a friend who asked what made elves immortal. I'm not entirely sure that I answered his question, but I did blurt a good deal of Ainulindale and Valaquenta at him, after which he just said 'Ah.'. So, where does the Guild stand on the films.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
I liked the movies, even though I was saddened and frustrated by some of the changes. But the biggest thing for me about the films was that someone actually made real all the imagery of Tolkien, all the things that I have only imagined for twenty years are suddenly on the screen, alive. Many things were like my own imagination come on screen, not the least of which were the locations of Hobbiton and Rohan. After seeing the three films I am still left in awe of the beautiful images in the films, no matter that the story got a bit re-written in many places, but purely on the visual side, I loved the movies

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
The Trilogy is a historic one! It's simply a 9-houred-fairy-tale, which I enjoyed greatly....or at least the first time I watched it.;)
Of course, there're whole episodes cut but I'm sure that it has been done so with good intentions. After all, you can't force people (I'm speaking generally and not of Tolkien addicts;)) to sit 5-6 hours in the cinema in order to watch only one!!! part of the trilogy, because it would happen so if nothing was cut!
I understand that these omitting has been done with one only purpose - to simplify the plot so that 'ordinary' people can take it, and so that it gets within the limit (because there's a limit for films).
However, I have heard (not watched it, this week is the premiere) that in the ROTK the scenes with Saruman have ALL been cut!!! Well, this is something I do not agree with! It's a very important part of the book (and therefore, the film!) and it shouldn't be omitted!!!

As I said, the trilogy is a Grand Film and it will remain in the history, despite its disadvantages!

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
The films are a great tribute to Tolkien. They are excellent cinema and will rightly go down in history as great epics. Condensing of characters, cutting chapters and certain dialogues were all necessary through time constraints. However, there are some plot changes which devalued the moral message somewhat, but I am viewing from a Christian perspective and there are many who disagree with me. Also, there are other changes that didn't seem to have been done for any reason other than that the screenwriters thought they could write something better than the original. We all know which scenes I'm talking about. I am just noting for this record that I disagree with such changes - Tolkien's ideas were better.

Having said that, I really loved seeing the Elves at Helm's Deep, only because I'd love them to still be around generally. The point of them not being there, of course, was that their time was over and the Age of Men was dawning, so the NPW in me must frown on it. I still loved it though! :p

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
a movie's a movie...

I never liked discussions of such a kind... it's plainly useless comparing a movie to a book (any...). This movie (as well as others) is based only on the LotR book(s)* by Tolkien. As Fin said it would be nearly impossible to include every single scene from a book (though I guess I'd endure it at the movies... but how many people worldwide would do such a thing?;)). I usually get frustrated about any teeny tiny change done (especially when the books I love are concerned...), but I always try to remember that it is always a director's vision of a theme based on sources (I guess there would be nearly the same number of movies, visions as the number of fans worldwide... everyone imagines the world described in her/his own way, right?).
So...
I'd say...
Let's enjoy books as books and movies as movies... 'cause even when they're connected, they're not the same in every single detail...

* - depends on the edition;)
------------------
btw: I enjoy them greatly... both books and movies:D

elffriend

Reaction score
As a fan of Tolkiens works for over 20 years, I have always wanted someone to make a film of LOTR. Peter Jackson made the films as an adaption of the books, many people who love the books dislike the changes, but personally i think Peter Jackson made a good adaptation of of such an epic story. I do not think I will in my lifetime see better. I say if you want the whole story read the book, if you want a decent adaption watch the films.
There is one thing that has come from these films and that is; that more people are now Tolkien fans, and many people who would not have read the books, will now read the books, and a whole new generation of Tolkien fans is being born, so Tolkiens great works will continue to enthrall, engage, and delight a new generation.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
elffriend said:
As a fan of Tolkiens works for over 20 years, I have always wanted someone to make a film of LOTR. Peter Jackson made the films as an adaption of the books, many people who love the books dislike the changes, but personally i think Peter Jackson made a good adaptation of of such an epic story. I do not think I will in my lifetime see better. I say if you want the whole story read the book, if you want a decent adaption watch the films.
There is one thing that has come from these films and that is; that more people are now Tolkien fans, and many people who would not have read the books, will now read the books, and a whole new generation of Tolkien fans is being born, so Tolkiens great works will continue to enthrall, engage, and delight a new generation.
That's it! :)
That's probably the most important thing - new fanciers are going to appear and soon become enchated by Tolkien's works.
I too agree that we are probably too critical as a whole. A better adaptation will maybe never be made, so satisfy yourselves! :D

Helcaraxë

The Grinding Ice
Reaction score
Mostly they were good, but some of the changes he made in the second film were ickilly unnecessary. And that stupid part in the third film where Gollum frames Sam, and Frodo goes into a hissy fit and kicks him out near Cirith Ungol, I don't know why he did that. :eek: :rolleyes:

elffriend

Reaction score
Morgoths Bane, I agree with you about Frodo's hissy fit, and Gollums framing of Sam, and Frodo telling Sam to go home.
Maybe PJ was trying to show how much influence the ring was having on Frodo, but then those who have not read the books would not know. It is only those who know the books well, that realise the things that have been changed, to some who will only watch the films, they will believe that what they have seen is the epic Tolkien wrote.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Tolkien's literary works and to a great extent the first movie helped me become this.
I however make a difference between the films and the books. I enjoy them in a differentr way. I evaluate the movies from the p.o.v. whether it's a well done film (IMHO ;) ) or not. I have never liked "shallow" movies and from the screen trilogy TTT (unfortunately) was exactly this. The FOTR and the ROTK are all right, though. The thing is that the story is told to the spectator but he/she cannot understand what is "behind the screen". There is a feeling sth. is left unsaid. I have had quite a few cases when i had to explain why-s and what-s... People feel there's much more behind what is told from the screen and wish to understand it. When I am asked an "why" or "what", I try to explain as well as possible but I always finish with: "You'd better read the books!". ;) :D
But then... I understand that P.J. should have made not 3 but 5 films in order to make the story full! :rolleyes: :D

All in all, I liked the FOTR and the ROTK a lot. The TTT was a great disapointment.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Lhunithiliel said:
All in all, I liked the FOTR and the ROTK a lot. The TTT was a great disapointment.
I agree with you Lhun.
I will be short.As movies the three are really great and will become part of the History,especially ROTK.
Everything is perfect in terms of music,actors,clothes,operators,special effects etc.I must confess that as a movie ROTK deserves an Academy award for Best Movie.
But I am talking about the movie in terms of movie qualities.
Having in mind that it is based on the book by J.R.R.Tolkien I would say that I am disappointed.FOTR really surprised me,it was really good adaptation,but TTT totally disappointed me.About the ROTK I expected to be awful,and probably because of my negativism before the premiere in Bulgaria it didn't seem that bad to me.I am angry with PJ and his decision concerning ROTK,but at least it is better than TTT.

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
The movies were quite excellent, especially if I didn't think about how PJ changed some of my favorite parts. I really liked how the sets were visualized. My favorite place was Lothlorien. There's no quarrel with what PJ left out or combined, because I understand why that had to be done. Mostly it's the additions that upset me since so much of the book had to be cut. I enjoyed Arwen's part in FOTR, but her role in the other 2 movies kept getting worse. FOTR was definitely the best IMO, then ROTK, and last TTT.

Minuel Lasgalas

Lilies are blooming...
Reaction score
I enjoyed the movies. I went in somewhat blind; I visited the Web site before FoTR came out, liked what I saw of the trailers, but a friend of mine at work got a chance to review it early [I work at a newspaper] and he was raving about how good it was, but, he is not as 'book bound' as I am. Having Arwen established in Glorfindal's place was a sore spot - but she had to come in somewhere.
The cinematography in all three was phenominal and the concept to film all at once was genious. Also genious, was the replacement of the first chosen Aragorn with Mortensen... I saw him in something else and I think keeping him in would have been disasterous.
I didn't care for TTT as much as I did for FoTR, but the Helms Deep scenes were absolutely fantastic and the visualization of the armor of the Easterlings still has me transfixed... But, again, I got thrown by some of the changes; it seemed a bit disjointed. The jumping back and forth from the Ents to the battle at Helms Deep was really nerveracking. At least, though, they had second thoughts and cut *most* of Arwen out of the fight scenes at end outside the Hornberg. That would have been just too bizarre.
FoTR, then RoTK is the order of ranking with TTT behind.. but even with the creative license changes [another familial sore spot is the lack of the scouring of the shire], irregardless I enjoyed them all.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions