🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Where has this been all my short life?

N

Nocturnal Rune

I just found a book called A Guide to Middle-Earth by Robert Foster.

You might know about it, but you might not, so hah.
It is a 287 page glosssary to everything that appears, even just barely mentioned in all of Tolkien's works.The definition for Sauron is 3 pages long! For example:

(this is quoted)

"SECOND AGE The age of Middle-earth comprising the time between the overthrow of Morgothand the first overthrow of Sauron.For much fo the age, Sauron controlled large parts of Middle-earth;Men were killed or enslaved, and the Elves and Dwarves hid.The seeds of later evil were sown with the forging of the Rings of Power, and the Dunedian realms of Gondorand and Arnor were founded afterthe destruction of Numenor."

Its has everything I ever dreamed of, and Im not even a Tolkien freak! (i.e., spending 500$ for a replica of Gandalf's staff)

I reccomend for everyone to try and find this book in yardsales, as I dont think it is still published.

My copy is copyrighted 1971. Library of Congress catalog number= 72-94777. And if you are very desperate: ISBN: 0-345-27547-0

Everybody get this thing, its excellent!

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
I'm on the waiting list at Amazon for the reprint! It comes out in Dec. I love the book, I have the pre-sil 70's version now. I think I might just need a new one.........:D

R

ReadWryt

The cover fell off of mine and I had it held together with rubberbands for years until I finally lent it to a guy who missplaced it. I got it the week that the Silmarillion was released and decided that another hard bound book wouldn't be such a bad thing. BAH! I'm gonna hafta get another copy now...

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Amazon (Germany) says the book is deliverable within 24 hours - so I just ordered a copy. I'm curious if the reprint actually is already available...

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
I have "A Guide to Middle-Eart", somewhere in my room..

btw, Welcome to the Tolkien Forum Nocturnal! :)

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
It said that when I ordered it on Amazon (US) too, Walt, but then it said it wasn't published yet. I think it said the US publishing date is sometime in Dec.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Talierin: I just got the note from Amazon that my copy has been shipped...

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Finally I've got it, though what strikes me funny is that the printing year stated in it is 1993, first published 1978 but it contains the Sil...

N

Nocturnal Rune

Thanks for the greeting.
Im not a hardcore fan, but I will hopefully fit in.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
He,he, no one has posted here in forever.

I have this book, love it to death, though I've really aught to go get the latest edition...Walden's has it in stock now...but I have no dollors.

I was wondering if there are any Middle Earth Reference guides out there other than this one (that is worth looking at)

Any one know of any?

Thread suggestions