🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Which are the Two Towers?

What is the combonation of "The Two Towers"

• Barad Dur and Minas Tirith

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Barad Dur and Orthanc

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Orthanc and Minas Tirith

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Orthanc and Minas Morgul

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Greymantle

Reaction score
The Two Towers

What do you think the "Two Towers" are? This obvious answer is Barad-dur and Orthanc, but I seem to remember reading (and perhaps Tolkien's old illustrations were this way too?) that the two towers are meant to be Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul. The watchtowers of Mordor are also referred to as the "two towers." What do you folks thing?

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
I've always thought it was Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Half the book takes place at Orthanc, and half at Minas Morgul.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Tolkien wrangled about this in a couple letters to Allen & Unwin ~ and when asked to design dust cover jacket illustrations he sketched for TTT: "probably Barad-dûr and Minas Tirith" (JRRT: Artist & Illustrator) ~ but Tolkien revised the jacket to Minas Morgul and Orthanc.

Last edited:

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I always thought that the two towers referred to Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul. I thought that they were both strong fortresses that were used as observation posts against the enemy in days long ago. It was only when Minas Morgul fell into enemy hands that it became Orthanc and Minas Tirith. Of course, I may be wrong!!
:)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I have also seen the Two towers as Minas Tirith and Barad-dur, but as the colors of the towers are not specified, one cannot be sure of that. They might also be the two slim watch-towers in Mordor, the Teeth. (I can't remember their blasted names right now.)

S

stratosphere

i think you will find its Minas Tirith and Barad-dur..

tower of moon and sun...or somthin like that

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I remember there being a conversation in LOTR that gives the history of Minas Tirith and Barad-dur and how it fell into darkness and became Minas Morgul. I can't remember there being such description about the two towers in Mordor. (Am about to re-read that chapter so please correct me if I am wrong).

Greymantle

Reaction score
Exaclty. Several people posted just the oppisite.
Just to clear this up:
Hopefully we all know what Minas Tirith is.
Minas Morgul is not Barad-dur. Minas Morgul was Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Moon built by Isildur, but it was taken over by Sauron and made evil.

S

stratosphere

thats right ..

sorry in my post i got confused after read the last post was ment to say Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith

:confused:

:)

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Cirith Ungol is the name of the pass over the mountains. Minas Morgul is the tower that is at the top of that pass.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Minas Morgul is in Morgul Vale well below Cirith Ungol, the tower of Cirith Ungol is a different Tower.

Myself I always thought of the Two Towers as being Barad-dur and Orthanc as there was a direct conection between the two, The Palantiri of Orthanc and of Ithil, the latter had been taken when Minas Ithil was captured and was in the hands of Sauron.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Okay, you're right. The tower at the top is called The Tower of Cirith Ungol. The pass is also called Cirith Ungol. Minas Morgul is the orc city at the bottom of the valley of Morgulduin.

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is exactly why I am on this message board! I would have had the wrong info about the towers if you hadn't of explained it!

It makes me wonder what else I am not right on.....eek!

Regards from a junior member!! :)

Scooter

Reaction score
Great! but there still seems to be no consensus -- 5 towers have been named: Barad-dur, Minas Ilith/Morgul, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith and Orthanc.

Cian cites a reference regarding JRRT's thoughts (which seem to be as inconstant as his readers! ;))

Originally posted by Cian
Tolkien wrangled about this in a couple letters to Allen & Unwin ~ and when asked to design dust cover jacket illustrations he sketched for TTT: "probably Barad-dûr and Minas Tirith" (JRRT: Artist & Illustrator) ~ but Tolkien revised the jacket to Minas Morgul and Orthanc.
Can anyone refute? I'd say if this is a good quote then Morgul/Orthanc would be his last thought.

I always assumed that was the reference myself!

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I always thought it was Orthanc and Minas Morgul as well. I think I had read it somewhere ... probably a book jacket though.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I've always felt that the Two Towers was about the struggle between Saruman and Sauron to possess the captured Hobbits. Remember all the crud with fighting between the Uruk-hai of the white hand and the orcs of the red eye. Very little of the Two Towers had anything to do with Minis Tirith, so I would say it is out.... but with Frodo being imprisoned in the tower of Minas Morgul (or was it Cirith Ungol? I always get confused between those two.) I can see where it would have to be considered.

I guess I have to agree with a previous post that it is speaking of the Barad-dur and Orthanc. It's the only two that really make sense to me. But I can definately see other view points as well. After all, there are five towers featured in the tale.

Last edited:

Silnarion

Reaction score
Alot of towers have been discussed. Theres too many combinations of relationships between all the towers to really pick a stand out. This is what I think the "Two Towers" really were...symbolism. The TT were (was) symbolic of the public revelation and defining of the two forces, good and evil, Sauron and Gandalf, building up against each other in the open, until they "resembled" Two Towers opposing each other for the final war.
Again I dont think any two physical towers were meant to be reflected. Thats my perspective...and there is probably some JRRT interview somewhere that marks me wrong.

Thread suggestions