🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

which is better? Children of hurin or The silmarillion?

which is better? the children of hurin or the silmarillion?

• Total voters

StarGift

Reaction score
I just thought i would like to find out which book out of the children of hurin and the silmarillion everybody liked best. feel free to explain why. I would love to hear your opinions.;)
MWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!!
I chose CoH because it really breaks the usual monotony of "Oh yeah and then the good guys won. I had absolutely no idea whatsoever. Not!" That is one reason why I like Tolkien's works- the endings are bittersweet. But Children of Húrin like everyone dies and oh the main villain happens to be one of them. Very refreshing.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, StarGift! If you'd like to introduce yourself, and say something about your specific interests, we have a New Members section. Meanwhile,

tumblr_pafqgsfItb1r0l5boo1_540.jpg

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I chose CoH because it really breaks the usual monotony of "Oh yeah and then the good guys won. I had absolutely no idea whatsoever. Not!" That is one reason why I like Tolkien's works- the endings are bittersweet. But Children of Húrin like everyone dies and oh the main villain happens to be one of them. Very refreshing.
Sam's statement at the end of LoTR "Well, I'm back", is the most powerful ending, massively so for being so low-key, of any (author-published) book I've ever read.
But the end of "The Children of Húrin", the last paragraph, is the only thing written that can stir cynical old me to tears, even now.
The only thing in real life that compares is Martin Luther King's 1963 speech "I have a dream", the greatest speech in human history.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
If I understand your "or" distinction above correctly, then JRRT did both. And as Frodo and Sam mused about pretty much this topic on, of all places, the stairs of Cirith Ungol, another stroke of genius in depiction by JRRT, Frodo and Sam were still in the continuing great tale that went back to Beren and Lúthien (Sam specifically mentions Beren, and Eärendil), and by implication also Túrin (and Tuor). And in both tales end quietly, laconically, and in the case of CoH, very sadly and poignantly. I would guess that few authors have managed the same. Even PJ and Co. had the sense to end RoTK the film with exactly the same words as ended the book - compared to much else they did positively a flash of brilliance (much misunderstood by the Hollywood troglodytes so deep in that Grand Canyon-sized rut excavated by their abominable cookie-cutter "mind"-set).

Thread suggestions