The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who believes in evolution?

Who believes in evolution?

• I believe

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Bogus

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • What's evolution?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Bombadillo said:
its funny but i don't know a single piece of evidence that there is a god...
Go look in a mirror. You really think you started off as some slime in a swamp, or even started off as a monkey??? :eek: :confused:

Bombadillo said:
at least there are some hints that evolution could be right.
There are MANY hints that there is an All-Powerful Supreme God ruling this planet.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Eliot said:
Go look in a mirror. You really think you started off as some slime in a swamp, or even started off as a monkey??? :eek: :confused:
:(

Although I am both a Christian and an Evolutionist, I strongly disagree with any depiction of the "opposing" field as irrational or dumb...

I just thought I'd state my disagreement now.

Ponte

Man of the North
Reaction score
I strongly believe in evolution.

Eliot said:
I personally do not see anything strange with this since the earth (according to what I believe) have existed for 4.6 billion years and because life has existed for more then 3.5 billion years, and this is a long time with very long time for evoultion to work. I really don't have a problem thinking that I started off as a monkey since IMHO monkeys are very similar to us.

Bombadillo

Skipping right along
Reaction score
Eliot said:
well actually yes, I believe that my ancesters where monkeys and even further back lived in the sea (or a swamp for that matter)
I can't see why it shouldn't. It weren't people who lived in the swamps, but some primitive form of life. I can't imagine that looking in a mirror would change my point of opinion :confused:

There are MANY hints that there is an All-Powerful Supreme God ruling this planet.
Could you give me a few? I really know none... And could you please answer my python question, I'm really interested.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Well Ponte, I don't believe the Earth has existed for billions of years. I meant no offense with my statement to anyone who believes in Evolution. I'm entitled to my own opinion. I just thought since some were letting out their opinions, I would go ahead let mine be known.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Bombadillo said:
well actually yes, I believe that my ancesters where monkeys and even further back lived in the sea (or a swamp for that matter)
I can't see why it shouldn't. It weren't people who lived in the swamps, but some primitive form of life. I can't imagine that looking in a mirror would change my point of opinion :confused:
Go ahead and believe what you want. I really don't care.

Bombadillo said:
Could you give me a few? I really know none... And could you please answer my python question, I'm really interested.
It's obvious you don't want God in your life. You don't want an authority like Him. Even if I had proof of God, you probably still wouldn't believe. Now I'm in a fix. I didn't really mean to say what I did. I know God exists, Bombadillo. I know. There is no way whatsoever to prove it though. Please go easy on me Bombadillo, OK? It's tough being a Christian when everything you do and say is rejected, made fun of, etc.

Eriol, you know that God exists, right? I mean, you actually feel him, right?

Oh, I don't know how to answer the Python question. I really don't know much about animals or science or whatever. Quit giving me a hard time.

Bombadillo

Skipping right along
Reaction score
I'm sorry you feel this way eliot..

Is there someone else who would like to answer the python question?

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Eliot said:
Eriol, you know that God exists, right? I mean, you actually feel him, right?
Yes, but I don't think that those who don't know God are irrational or dumb... Don't worry Eliot, there are more important things than the debate on Evolution x Creation. Even if you are losing the battle (of the python) I think you will win the war :D.

And now, in the interest of good neighborhood policy, I'll add some jokes I found on this page.

How many Intelligent Designers does it take to change a light bulb?
Looks like I'll never know--I asked some to do this simple task, and they started talking about how this 'simple task' was actually composed of many, many sub-tasks, each of which ITSELF was composed of many, many sub-sub-tasks, each of THESE of which was ITSELF composed of many, many sub-sub-sub-tasks, each of THESE...I think they are up to 10^5 "subs" now...a living fractal, how kewl...(wish I could see them better in this darkness, though).

How many Richard Dawkinses does it take to change a light bulb?
I doubt we'll never know. Seems he was hospitalized with multiple injuries in a mountaineering accident recently. Was climbing some mountain somewhere, when a nearby bird sneezed, the minute sound vibrations of which moved a tiny piece of grass one-half millimeter, which shifted a micro-breeze a tiny fraction, which blew a cubic centimeter of dirt out from under a rock, accidentally setting off a catastrophic avalanche. Freakish accident, really--the chances of that happening were 1 in 10^18th or something like that...But I guess it was inevitable....I guess we really shouldn't be surprised by it, after all...

How many Richard Dawkinses does it take to change a light bulb?
According to his computer simulation, it only takes twelve of his cells--but he said I would have to be really, really patient.

How many Natural Selectionists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Well actually, we won't even TRY to change the bulb. We will simply stop using the room that has the burned out bulb, and start using only rooms with FUNCTIONING bulbs. That way, over time, ....

How many evolutionists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one (to aim the x-ray machine) but the bulb changes very, very slowly

How many Creation Scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
Two: one to change it quickly, and one to point out that no transitional forms occurred at all.

How many Quantum physicists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Depends on the room size--you need to fill the room first with blind-folded scientists. Then, upon a signal, they all remove the blindfolds and look toward the general area of the 'old' bulb. Then, when the waveform collapses, whoever is CLOSEST to the newly 'congealed' bulb, grabs it, and WITHOUT blinking, makes the change. Also, this procedure MAY required one additional physicist to remove a dead cat from the room

How many skeptics does it take to change a light bulb?
Actually, they won't do it--they have no sense of urgency about the situation--they aren't sure they're really in the dark...

The last one is my favorite :D. There are others in the site.

Bombadillo

Skipping right along
Reaction score
and i will furthermore, If i may eriol, a oute from you from the other evolution debate, which i am now reading with great interest...

Evolution is not contradicted by the Bible. It explains a lot of our observations of the natural world. Why not accept it? Because most Christians believe that Evolution entails that "there is no God"?

Well, "most Christians" are wrong in that. They are following the rhetoric of the extreme materialists. Evolution does not force us to disbelieve in God. This is quite obvious if you study it in depth, and even if you don't study it... for science (ANY science) studies only the natural world, by definition. It can't explain (or explain away) the supernatural. It can't overthrow metaphysics. If any scientists claim that, they simply don't understand metaphysics -- or science .
I totally agree with that. As you said it is not my intention to deny a god, i just don't believe in him, but if i say'd i don't believe in jellyfish, it is no proof that it doesnt exist.

actually I don't know any proof of the non existence of god either.

Last edited:

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
and what do the people who don't believe in evolution make of the legs in a pythons skeleton, and the legs on a whale??
The same thing I make of that arguement that listed supposedly useless organs in the human body and claimed that they were remenents of a system we used to use when we were not so developed and no longer used and that they would be naturally selected away (sorry for the long explanation. I forget the technical term). The original list included our thyroid gland and a bunch of other organs and glands that science at the time couldn't discern a use for but later found to be vital for our survival (I think there are still a few Organs that are considered this, however, like the appendix and some bones like the lowest part of our tail bone).

We may not know what purpose these bones serve now, but that doesn't mean they don't serve one. . .and we weren't just built for service. We were built for wonder.

Turin

...Lost
Reaction score
I would like to announce that I don't believe in evolution ;). It is also my understanding that on his death bed Charles Darwin admited that evolution was a false theory.

Helcaraxë

The Grinding Ice
Reaction score
Arlina said:
I disagree with the theories of evolution. Scientist have tried to find proof, but none has come up that backs up their theories. I'm not informed in the subject of evolution much, but I do know, however, everything the scientist have found so far haven't supported their theores. Therefore, how could evolution be true if it's only a theory (or should I say a hypothoesis) with no support? Scientist try to find reasoning for everthing, but they don't have PROOF for their theories. That's the main word here: PROOF. We were put on this world by God, believe it or not; take it or leave it.

Actually, that is completely incorrect. Evidence has been found that supports evolution. Empirical evidence, meaning that it is gained through observation and experimentation. Now, whether evidence makes a theory correct is another matter entirely. You say "we were put on this world by God, believe it or not." Odd that you provide no proof in your defense. In truth, I think Christianity is a buch or self-righteous bogus that was made up by people because they wanted to believe that they had a kind parent looking down on them from above. But that's just my opinion.
Eliot said:
I know God exists, Bombadillo. I know.
So you've had a divine experience? How do you know that this isn't really your subconscious speaking to you, not God? I'm not trying to bash Christianity, I just believe it is incorrect. You know none of us will ever agree.

MB

Last edited:

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
It is also my understanding that on his death bed Charles Darwin admited that evolution was a false theory
No. My siblings science book (my mom changed ciriculum between my highschool science and theirs) had a section on the history of Darwin's theory . . .or more accurately the history of Darwin. This story was started by someone who claimed to be at Darwin's side at his death, but Darwin's daughter who was by record there, denies that this woman was there at the time. . .and it is more likely that the daughter is telling the truth than the other woman, it seems.

Empirical evidence, meaning that it is gained through observation and experimentation
What sort of experiment? The only one I ever heard of was an experiment on the founding of life through DNA where they attempted to synthesize some, but if you read up on the experiment, they only managed a gelatinous blob of enzymes that for various reasons would never be able to become more. Also, the methods used in this experiment were totally opposite what would've been in real life. It was more of the scientists making life than life making itself, due to all the tricks they had to pull to get those few protiens.

Unless you are discussing micro-evolution, which I believe is scientific law, not theory, and a great deal different from macro-evolution.

Jesse

Christian Tolkineer
Reaction score
HLGStrider said:
I am curious about how one can be a supporter of Evolution. By selectively breeding chimpanzees? ;) You can support legislation. You can support another person. You can support a political canidate. Can you support scientific theories? You can believe in them. You can look for evidence to support it, and if so I guess you are sort of supporting it.

Definition of supporter: A person or thing that supports (the definition of supports I'll get into later. It's long). 2. an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate. 3. A . 4. a garter. 5. either of two human or animal figures flanking and supporting an escutcheon.

Now, I think we can rule out 3, 4, and 5 now. Two is the best bet. . .but even then, all of those things that suggest action. Is a person a supporter of the Law of Gravity if they believe in it?

Personally, I see evolution as a theory which I don't believe in but don't really have the ability to argue against. However, I know that there are many reputable scientists who don't believe in it. They can argue against it for me and do better at it.

I believe in the Intelligent Design Theory. I don't think I support it, however. Theories are only supportable by evidence.
HGLStrider, have you ever heard of God Inspired Evolution? Why couldn't a God make man out of monkeys? He still could do it in the 6 days 7 nights thing in Genesis. Evolution is fact. When I look at my brother's dog, I notice many similarities between him and a wolf. Is that just my imagination or is it years of evolution?

Bombadillo

Skipping right along
Reaction score
a piece of evidence for tevolution? that is the forming of mutations in species,
after breedeing fruitflies for about 10 years there were however few, fruitflies with a totally different appearance then their ancestors (they had red eyes instead of black)

Mutation is the main foundation of the evolution theory and it has been proven.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Turin said:
I would like to announce that I don't believe in evolution ;). It is also my understanding that on his death bed Charles Darwin admited that evolution was a false theory.
If you're serious about that last, then I want to know your source.

Lotho

Khôr’nagan

Ar-Zigûrlôkhî
Reaction score
Charles Darwin most certainly did not say that Evolution is a false theory, not ever. And it's not. A theory is only false when there is overwhelming evidence against it that lead to no other possible conclusion but that the theory is untrue. And that is certainly not the case with Evolution. Indeed, there is an overwhelming amount of evidence leading to, with little variation, the conclusion that Evolution is true. And no scientist has ever said that Evolution is untrue, because anyone who says that cannot be a scientist, regardless of their profession. The uttermost important thing that makes someone a scientist is the fact that they either believe or disbelieve something based on it's evidence. And since saying that evolution is untrue goes against an incredibly vast amount of evidence that is irrifutable, were a scientist to say that, he would be saying that he refuses to believe in something regardless of any amount of evidence that says it's true, and that's against the very heart of what makes a person a scientist.

Now I have to go, but I'll post again later.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
MorgothsBane said:
So you've had a divine experience? How do you know that this isn't really your subconscious speaking to you, not God? I'm not trying to bash Christianity, I just believe it is incorrect.
I know it wasn't my subconscious. It's something unexplainable. I know your not trying to bash Christianity, and it's fine if you believe it's incorrect.

MorgothsBane said:
You know none of us will ever agree.
That's obvious. ;) :D

Elessar II

The Clark Kent of ME
Reaction score
In truth, I think Christianity is a bunch or self-righteous bogus that was made up by people because they wanted to believe that they had a kind parent looking down on them from above.
Well that's funny, because I believe that evolution is a bunch of humanistic bogus that was made up by people who just couldn't face the fact that there is a God in heaven who is in control of their lives.

Thread suggestions