🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

who do you think is the best character

uzuki

Reaction score
its hard to decide who you like at first until you get into the book a little more so i was just wondering if anyone is to the point to where they know who they like the best

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
Hi, uzuki,

I'd just like to point out that "the best character" and "the character you like the best" may not be the same thing.

For example, most people don't like Gollum very much, but he may well be the best character in the book.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Fav character?

Geez, there are so many to choose from.
Personally I like Faramir the best. He represents the best of Gondor.
However, the character I would most like to meet is Galadriel. She has seen so many things. If I remember right, she was the last remaining Elf to have seen the Light of the Trees.

RD

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
The character I like best would be Merry. However, the character I think that is best described by Tolkien is harder to be sure of. I think Sam or Gollum. And to say who HAS the best character? That is impossible to say, of course. It depends on so many things...

Elanor2

Reaction score
Frodo.

He is generous beyond belief. Loyal (as he proves in his behaviour to Bilbo). He endures most than all the others put together. He is wise and understands his role. He accepts his destiny (and it is a tough one) without complaints.

He perhaps is not so funny as the other hobbits, but it was not always so. He was a little rascal in his youth. He must have been a very special person, or Sam and the others would not have gone to such lengths to help and protect him.

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
Well said, Elanor2!!!

Frodo is indeed the best! I always thought that Frodo was Tolkien’s little Golden Boy, he was meant to be the best character in the book. At least until I got on this forum and discovered that not everyone thinks the same way I do (Surprise! Surprise!).

I could probably write a dissertation on the virtues of Frodo’s character if I were provoked enough, but I think Elanor2 has covered this sufficiently. I too think that there was something special about Frodo, the best word I can come up with is charisma. It seems that everyone who met Frodo was impressed by him. He was well loved and admired, a guy you could look up to, even if you had to look down to see him!

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I would probably say that I liked Gandalf best in the books.

Note: this is only in lotr before I read the Sil and UT.....

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Aragorn the perfect... Aragorn the Handsome... Aragorn Aragorn, Strider, Thorongil, Lightfoot, and whatever else you want to call him

He's noble (Undenyable, through and through)
He's self-sacrificing (His whole career)
He's handsome (In my mind)
He's loyal (To Arwen)
He's understanding (To Eowyn)
He's humble (Letting himself be called names by ignorant Breelanders)
He's a man of adventure and the wild (Darling Ranger...)

etc.

Actually, when I first read the books I didn't trust Aragorn. It must've been somewhere after Weathertop that I fell completely in love with him... Sigh... then he married Arwen and left poor little Elgee to fend for herself.

Strider97

Reaction score
Thank you Elgee-

I always loved the women in the story-

Eowyn- for breaking the mold and her strenght and courage

Galadriel- for her grace and beauty

Arwen- I did not really have any feelings for until I read the story of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendix and then later the story of Luthien

R

Rohansangel

I think the "best character" is Borimir, or Sam; Whereas the "characters I like the best" are Sam, Treebeard, Pippin, and Eowyn. There is a difference.

~The Angel of Rohan

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA- the mudskipp
I think the best character(s) were Merry and Pippin, (because you can't really separate them). I am partial to Pippin because he is SO me. If there is a way to screw something up, then you can rest assured that I will. I also love the way he and Merry end up becoming honored warriors, and becoming responsible, while still being able to joke and laugh, in spite of all the tragedy that's happened to them, as evidenced by the fact that they were singing on the way home after Frodo left the Havens.

legoman

Humourous Bombadillian #2
Reaction score
I like Aragorn best because he comes in from going off on his own and instead of being all high and mighty like too many charactors with that background in other stories, he does what is right for the good of Middle Earth. He could easily have marched into Minas Tirith and demanded his throne back but instead he did it all the correct way to help everyone else and not just himself. Very noble, good for him.

Thread suggestions