🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who has the best beard?

Harry_Potter

Banned
Reaction score
The contenders;

Gandalf (Long and grey but not artistically trimmed)
Saruman (White, lacking in volume but well kept)
Gimli (Pleated into a long braid but he's ginger!!!!)
Boromir (Designer stubble)
Aragorn(Not-so designer stubble)
Sauron(Behind the mask who knows????)
Tree-beard( his beard is a tree)

So what do you think?

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
H.P. shutup about Elrond before I have to hurt you! Whoever said that Harry Potter fans are warped may be right!!!

Anyway, I like Aragorn's stubble. It gives him that rugged, outdoorsy look.:rolleyes: But then again, I like Gandalf's beard too. I would want a grandfather with a beard like that. HE,he,he!

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
Yeah H.P shut up

your never met Elrond so how would you know

oh and amm your NOT FUNNY AND STOP TRYING TO BE FUNNY CAUSE YOUR NOT

Kit Baggins

Thain Kit I
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry_Potter
We call people ginger to insult them!!!!
I don't usually ever say this to people on forums, but in this case I will make an exception.
I'm ginger. Get stuffed. You're not funny.

~Kit (I won't even make the effort to type a smiley!)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Carefull now. Nothing smart to anger the Thain. He might close the Shire for you, leaving out one of the nicest places in ME to visit.
Besides, throwing around insults is never funny.

And Tom Bombadil has the best beard ever.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Uh, getting back to the subject (with the risk of being glared at for interrupting your insults): I think Gandalf has the greatest beard. It's good that it's not as well-kept as Saruman's, because it gives him that authentic, wizard-archetype- look.
I'd welcome you, H_P, but I suppose you'd retaliate by calling me ginger.
Lol, Yay: I can imagine Gollum, groping around on the floor, with a four-foot grey beard dangling behind him! :D

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Valar, as much as I like beards, I can say in all honesty, that I'm glad I don't have one. I'd look awfully weird!!

Hey!! Has anyone ever heard about the shepardess (somewhere in eastern Europe) who somehow managed to grow a thick wooly beard (rivaling Gandalf's)? Well, the people of the local village wanted her to shave it off, because they thought it made her evil or something. However, she refused to saying it kept her warm in the winters!!! GOSH! I'm glad she isn't my mom!! Can you imagine what it would be like to have her kiss you good night!?! You'd say something like "Goodnight Dad..oh..wait..uh, I mean Mom."

You don't suppose she is somewhere on this forum do you!?!:confused: *Runs away and hides, to avoid being cursed or something* Quick!! Someone throw me an eggplant!!!

Bucky

Reaction score
Jerry Garcia, hands down.

BTW, Do Elves have beards?
I always thought no, but in the end of TLOR, it says of Cirdan:
'His beard was long, and he was grey & old, save that his eyes were keen...'

Sounds VERY un-Elvish to me.
Or, is it just an outward manifestation of the fact that he was in ME from the beginning of the Elves & was awaiting the last ship?
I mean, Cirdan is certainly not slowly aging & (eventually) dying, of course, as he is an Elf.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I personally think that Tolkien's description of Cídan is an error on his part, because I have always had the mental image that Elves do not have beards. But then again, to look at it defensively, Tolkien states that Elves "grow old much slower"; and Círdan is well over 5000 years old, and in that time I think an ELf might be able to grow a beard.. Or maybe Elves never get to puberty! :p

Harry_Potter

Banned
Reaction score
No-one has commented on the state of saurons facial hair? Wonder if he has a beard???

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
BEHOLD I AM THE WOO!
I have seen Sauron and his beard is made of the heads of all the slain mortals he has slain!
it strecthes 3000 fathoms and smells of bard-dur!
THE WOO HAS SPOKEN!
BEHOLD! :)

Thread suggestions