🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is Arwen..?

B

Bunzy

I just recently saw a trailer for the film of LOTR. There was a scene with a young lady elf on a horse shouting out a terrible cheesy one-liner. This woman was Liv Tyler.

She's supposed to be playing a charater called Arwen in the Fellowship of the Ring. My problem is I really don't remember her in the book. Also I don't remember a woman called Arwen falling in love with Aragorn. I thought it was Eowyn in The Two Towers he had a thing for? Can someone explain a little about this Arwen?

R

ReadWryt

Arwen is seen briefly in Fellowship in Rivendel where she and Aragorn meet up, then the story of the love between she and Aragorn is talked about in the Appendix of Return of the King.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Arwen is Elrond's daughter.

Throughout The LotR she is Aragorn betrothed. It sort of comes out slowly throughout the story that she is his inspiration. He must be restored to the throne before Elrond will allow them to wed. In one way, he's going through all of it to be with her. (Although he'd probably go through it anyway because it's the right thing to do.)

Except for a few lines at Rivendell and at the end of the story after the war, she has no role in the story other than this inspirational one. She's important, but essentially background, especially with the respect to matters concerning the ring. (Both the ringbearer's quest and the war.)

Hope that helped.

Others may disagree.

B

Bunzy

Oh ok thanks for the info you two. I never realised Arwen was a background character in Lord of the Rings, but i never read in between the lines anyway.

Also here's a little question to keep the thread going...Are women generally understated through out the Lord of the Rings? Galadriel is the only lady i can think of that played a good part in Fellowship of the Ring. Also the whole fellowship is made up of guys.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Indeed, and in the movie it is greatly emphasized, which brings up the sexual discrimination scene. If they had left her out at all, it would have seemed like it was because PJ saw females as less heroic as males. I think.. :)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
And, once again, Grond jumps into the middle of it. Middle-earth abounds with female characters performing heroic acts. Luthien rescues Beren and dares death and worse. Turin's mother Morwen and his sister Niniel are also both very heroic in the tale of their lives. A queen in Numenor, an elf maid in Lorien foreswearing her immortality for love, an elf princess declining the Ruling Ring so that the world will have a chance to live unhindered by evil, a golden haired girl of Rohan riding to glory on the fields of Pelennor, an old woman of Lossarnach, playing her part in nursing the injured in the houses of healing and speaking an old rhyme which foretells the return of the king.

These are just a few examples of heroic acts of women in the works of JRRT. The problem that our female society has with these characterizations is that they were typical of a woman's role in earlier times (aka before 1960). Today, women want to be portrayed as the equal of man (and they are) but more importantly, they want to take the role of a hero for the sake of heroism. You'll notice that in most of the examples cited above, the woman undertook the heroic deed on behalf of her love for a chosen male (nothing pisses off a feminist more than this portrayal). A higher good may have also been served... but the primary motivation was on behalf of the man. That is what most feminists have a problem with. They continue to fail to understand that in the times portrayed in Tolkien's books, women were as heroic as the times and the author allowed. After all, they're Mr. Tolkien's books. If you don't like their message, read Harry Potter.

***Oh my god! Bunzy, I have just realized that this post is terribly off subject. Please accept my apologies and let's see... what was the original question??***

Last edited:

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Now I know why so many women drive the way they do...it's all about heroism... :D

ooops - I'm off topic too *ducks and runs hiding*

B

Bunzy

Apology accepted Grond.:)

You're right about the image of women in the 1960's and before being that of not great importance, but still vital in their roles as motivation/inspiration for the male characters.

So if the book was written nearer to this time, would it be more likely that there would have been more female hero characters, due to all this darn feminist debating lately?

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
GRR!! Why does the subject of feminism need to be brought up all the time? Yes, Liv Tyler's part in the movie is way too big, if PJ had wanted to keep the movie true to LOTR, but he didn't. Arwen was very much a background character. She did not "guide the Fellowship with her love". She most certainly DID NOT ride to the Ford and rescue Frodo. (That was Glorfindel! As if we didn't already know that!!!) Yes, Arwen's part in the book is minor, but that does not mean that Tolkien was anti-feminist! I think Grond hits the nail on the head (pun intended!) when he says that
That is what most feminists have a problem with. They continue to fail to understand that in the times portrayed in Tolkien's books, women were as heroic as the times and the author allowed. After all, they're Mr. Tolkien's books.
I am female, and I want equal rights for women, but not to the point where many feminists take the issue. I don't want to go on about the issue, but I just want to say that I do not feel that LOTR was discriminatory in any way.

The Dark Walker

Reaction score
Lord of the Rings, sexisim in the 1960's TDW is confused.
And i don't think it's that cheesy.
If your angry cos there ain't many women tough, book has been writen, fil filmed. NO COMPLAINING CAN CHANGE IT!!!

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
No DW, complaining won't change it... but if we complain to anyone and everyone who'll listen, then there will be no doubt in anyone's mind that the movie does not portray the book and maybe encourage many to read a book of a movie they just saw and thought was great.... not realizing that the book is 100 times better.
***There now... did you get all that??***

The Dark Walker

Reaction score
I'm on my second read of LOTR + I don't care if the film don't show everything I want to see the film for the action that the book sorely misses. I'll read the book for the true story!
Now Grond, did you get that?

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
:D Excellent responses Aerin and Dark Walker! I myself get so sick of hearing people talk about feminists all the time! Its just STUPID!:mad: Now can we do everyone a favor, and stop bringing up this subject! I hear something about everywhere I go and I'm just sick of it! Furthermore, I...uh...well...oops!...I think I just over reacted.:eek: I'm gonna go hide now. *dives under the bed, red-faced and sheepish*

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Feminism is a very backward (and touchy) subject. I personally don't see why a female character that actually travelled WITH the Fellowship would have been an uneccesary and pointless alteration and/or choice.

B

Bunzy

I only asked a question about who Arwen was. I didn't ask for a whole discussion on feminism!!:(

And TDW you really need to check your grammer! I can hardly understand what you're saying most of the time!

On a lighter note... i think it would be interesting if maybe Arwen was in the fellowship, instead of Boromir maybe.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Threads have a life of their own sometimes Bunzy. It's the best and (sometimes) the worst thing about webboards but either way it's the reality of it.

I wouldn't be too hard on people about their grammar. We have all ages and all levels of education here with JRRT as our common ground. And besides, a lot of the grammatical mistakes you'll read are written by people from non-English speaking sections of the world who are actually doing a remarkable job with their English.

Thread suggestions