🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is everyone's favourite Hobbit?

Aho is your favourite hobbit?

• Rosie Cotton

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Bilbo Baggins

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Samwise Gamgee (Sam)

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Merriadoc Brandybuck (Merry)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Peregrin Took (Pippin)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frodo Baggins

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gloer

Reaction score
Since there seems to be a disagreement on the matter we need to vote to find out who is the best hobbit.

G

Galderia

Who is Rosie???

Who is Rosie Cotton? Which one would that be?:confused:

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
Re: Who is Rosie???

Originally posted by Galderia
Who is Rosie Cotton? Which one would that be?:confused:
The smiling Red-head dancing with Sam at the "long Expected Party", the Future Mrs. Samwise Gamgee
Mother of his 14 childern. :D

Bucky

Reaction score
In the movie, Frodo. I think he's closest to the book.

In the book, Sam.
There's something about him that seems to grow on me with time.
Maybe it's the 'stick-to-it-ness' he shows from the time he talks to the Elves in the Woody End & tells Frodo "Don't leave him, they said. I told them I never planned to".
We see this grow to Sam jumping after the boat, to returning for Frodo after Shelob, until finally, he actually carries Frodo the rest of the way....

All while appearing to be the not so brightest Hobbit in the Shire.
As the saying goes, 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog'.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I always liked Merry in the books. Fun but not quite on Pippin's level of crass stupidity. After all Pippin doesn't work out that Aragorn is claiming the Kingship of Gondor until RotK. Slow or what??

In the film I don't think he really stands out yet. I'm waiting for him to be big in TTT!

Sam cries too much for me!

Gloer

Reaction score
Originally posted by Courtney
Why isn't poor Smeagol on the list?
Well.

First I thought I just order those four fellows:
1. Frodo
2. Sam
3. Merry
4. Pippin

But as it is not fair in a democratic election to give the voting number 1 to any of the candidates I thought I should at least not put that famous Frodo there.
Then I thought I'd fill it with blank, or a non-hobbit. But that looked stupid so I thought about Gollum.
Yes Gollum was a hobbit... or was he. He was a stoor. And Ithought I'd put him in with the name Smeagol.Why he is there not? Finally I thought that this is the FOTR-movie forum and Smeagol/Gollum has hardly been present yet. Many movie goers could not make a proper evaluation on him. So he is out.

Instead I put Bilbo in. How could I almost forget him! And he is definitive FOTR-hobbit.

And Rosie Cotton is there because in the FOTR-movie she made a far stronger impression during her short dance than in the book ever. And if the ending is cut of at the ROTK crowning... she might not be there later. So Rosie is a FOTR-hobbit too. And that resolved the numbering problem: "Ladies first!"

Courtney

Master of the Lore
Reaction score
I thought Gollum's eyes made a pretty good impression from the darkness of Moria! That's okay though... poor Smeagol is used to being left out.:(

bilbofan

Reaction score
Remember: If it hadn't been for Bilbo, the ring quest could never have begun. Horray for Bilbo!:D :D :D

Thread suggestions