🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is Morgoth?

Wood Elf

Reaction score
This may seem a stupid question, sorry, but who is Morgoth? Is it another name for Sauron?

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
Morgoth, or Melkor, was one of the Valar who was evil and tried to ruin Middle-Earth and stuff. In the Eldar Days, Morgoth stole The Silmarils from Feanor. This made a lot of Elves made and they left the Undying Lands to go to ME and get them back from Morgoth. They ultimately failed b/c of Morgoth's awesome power. The other Vala themselves had to come to ME to defeat Morgoth. Sauron was only a servant of Morgoth, but still had great power.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Nope. It's another name for Melkor.

From The Silmarillion
Then Feanor rose, and lifting up his hand before Manwe he cursed Melkor, naming him Morgoth, the Black Foe of the World; and by that name only was he known to the Eldar ever after.
EDIT: why does that always happen? It takes me so long to find the quotes etc, that someone just pips me to the post. :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Wood Elf, if you read the Silmarillion, and after that, if you want to, Unfinished Tales, you will get an answer to every single question that is bothering you. And if you don't, you'll get it here at the forum at the latest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
You're excused. :p

But in all seriousness, listen to Pontifex, Wood Elf. The Sil is such great reading material, and really does answer a lot of questions. I'm still on the lookout for UT though.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Yes, I have the Sil coming to my doorstep in a matter of days, and expect my questions to be answered! :)

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
You really should read UT, bunny, if you liked The Sil. The stories in UT are great and give deeper insight to stories mentioned in The Sil. All together a great read.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Yay Wood Elf! That's good to hear :D

Never fear guys, i am getting UT asap. I can't find it in any shops, so i guess i'll have to order it (i have a thing against ordering from amazon - i want to have some choice in the book cover i get. Ah well, it can't be helped, i suppose)

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
Your local Barnes & Noble should carry UT. That's where I got mine. I believe they had both the hard and soft cover versions.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Sadly there are no B&N's here. Just Waterstones. I think i'll just have to order in a bunch of these books, or get them off amazon. I'll probably finish up The Sil and then go for it on the Tolkien book buying front. ;)

Ruinel

wandering Noldo
Reaction score
Good Manwe! I can't believe no one has written in this thread since September! :eek:

Thread suggestions