🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is 'Old Man Willow'?

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
:D :D :D I wonder... who is 'Old Man Willow' could it be possible that he is a bad ent? Or is he an enigma just like good old Tom?!:confused: :D :D

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
No, I don't think he was an ent.

Like Treebeard said some ents get treeish while some of the trees begin to turn entish.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Can he be an Ucorno?? At the TTT Treebear said to merry and Pipin that the ucornos were ents or beings dont remember that are more like a tree now and that they have a bad black heart!! When the Ents helped the rohan people and went to Isengard the forest followed them and this forest was ucornos, maybe 'Old Man Willow' is an ucorno.
Pd. I used the ucorno word because in my copy of TTT is not in English so I dont know the actual english word for ucorno but I think you know what I meant :)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Well, Treebeard (Tom too?) mentions the connection between the Old Forest and Fangorn. So I guess calling Old Man Willow a Huron can't be very wrong.

7doubles

Silver Star Tobaco Co.
Reaction score
tom states, he's the river dauters father, in likeness to goldberry's figure and fruit.

Last edited:

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
:confused: 7doubles, what do you wish to say? I don't get it.

And I should have said Huorns, Hurons is a tribe out of 'last of the Mohicans'. Silly me.:p

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
MMM now I am confused, the wird is Huron, Huorns, Hurons ???
and 7 doubles, by "he's the river dauters father" you mean old man willow?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
One Huorn, two Huorns. Trees that have become 'Entish' and Ents that have become 'treeish'. And anything in between I guess.;)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I think Old Man Willow was a Huorn, but he had perhaps drifted away from 'Entish' society and had been isolated in his own little forest for so long that he had adopted new, selfish ways of living (ie. he had become cruel and evil).
Thank you for the mix up, Goro. :D Legolam is the name of Legolas in 'Bored of the Rings'.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Good old Tom says a heck of a lot of things, but Old Man Willow, Goldberry's dad?

Well, she is the daughter of the river, as far as I remember. I'll re-read the chapters on Tom and Goldberry.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
yeah!! I do not think so either, Goldberry was daughter of the river was'nt she?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Well, I've re-read the chapters, but I cannot find any mentioning of Old Man Willow being Golberry's old man;).
Tom definately tells the hobbits Old Man Willow is one of the oldest trees in the Old Forest, and a very wicked one, with a black hearth.

Thread suggestions