🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is the oldest Elf listed?

Who is the oldest listed?

• Glorfindel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elrond

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Galadriel

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Cirdan

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Legolas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Re: Who is the oldest listed?

Cirdan fo sure. He awoke at cunivein (or somethin like that). He led the teleri that didn't pass over 2 aman. He stayed in M.E and has seen every age there is. Then Glorfindel and Galadriel who both were born in aman. A good while after they made the great journey likemany hundreds of years Elrond born a long time after in the 1st age. A long time after galdriel and glorfindel. Like many hundreds of years. Then legolas. Sorry i'm not sure the exact dates as i haven't memerised them and you wont let me look them up. But i'm sure that is the order. When the end of sauron has happened that would have been hundreds and hundreds of years after elrond was born. And the gaps here are massive like between elrond and galadriel like an age or 2. Legolas was born in the 3rd age wasn't he?? Sorry i can't giuve you the exact but i can't look it up.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Curses!

I read your post after I had voted! I just up and forgot that Círdan was one of the first Elves around.. I just somehow remembered that Galadriel was the oldest, because she was around in Beleriand; and I couldn't remember whether Círdan went to Aman or stayed. Blast, frickety, dang! :)
Oh, and that's Cuiviénen. :D

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
is it clear when each were born?

Like Cirdan, I don't remember a quote saying he awoke at Cuv. but I wouldn't doubt it. And Legolas, I don't remember a quote there either, he could have been born in the 1st age or earlier? And I don't remember a quote concerning Galadriel, but seeing as Finwe married a Vanyar which led to Fingolfin and Finarfin, I suppose that she was born in Valinor. Does it say that Glorfindel was born in Valinor?

imladris

Reaction score
Re: Who is the oldest listed?

This one was way to easy

T

Tony

Originally posted by Eonwe
is it clear when each were born?

Like Cirdan, I don't remember a quote saying he awoke at Cuv. but I wouldn't doubt it. And Legolas, I don't remember a quote there either, he could have been born in the 1st age or earlier? And I don't remember a quote concerning Galadriel, but seeing as Finwe married a Vanyar which led to Fingolfin and Finarfin, I suppose that she was born in Valinor. Does it say that Glorfindel was born in Valinor?
As far as Galadriel, there is an essay in Unfinished Tales that states she was born in Valinor.

Glorfindel: Gandalf states in "Many Meetings" that Glorfindel had dwelt in the Blessed Realm. I have also seen stated that since Glorfindel was golden haired, he was from the House of Finarfin (descended from). Given Finarfin's parentage, I think it follows Glorfindel was born in the Blessed Realm. Although, seems as I recall some discussion about the two Glorfindels and how he was returned after his death. In which case he could have been born in Beleriand after the Flight of the Noldor and his time spent in the Blessed Realm was after his death by Balrog.

Cirdan: I always assumed Cirdan was a peer (chronology wise) of Elwe, Ingwe, and Finwe, but I could not find him any earlier than when Ulmo returned with the Island ferry to get the Telri. Perhaps someone else can help here.

Legolas: I think all we know is his father is the Elf King from the Hobbit, Thranduil, who prior to Greenwood, dwelt in Lindon. Anyone have any more info on Legolas?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tony

As far as Galadriel, there is an essay in Unfinished Tales that states she was born in Valinor.

Glorfindel: Gandalf states in "Many Meetings" that Glorfindel had dwelt in the Blessed Realm. I have also seen stated that since Glorfindel was golden haired, he was from the House of Finarfin (descended from). Given Finarfin's parentage, I think it follows Glorfindel was born in the Blessed Realm. Although, seems as I recall some discussion about the two Glorfindels and how he was returned after his death. In which case he could have been born in Beleriand after the Flight of the Noldor and his time spent in the Blessed Realm was after his death by Balrog.

Cirdan: I always assumed Cirdan was a peer (chronology wise) of Elwe, Ingwe, and Finwe, but I could not find him any earlier than when Ulmo returned with the Island ferry to get the Telri. Perhaps someone else can help here.

Legolas: I think all we know is his father is the Elf King from the Hobbit, Thranduil, who prior to Greenwood, dwelt in Lindon. Anyone have any more info on Legolas?

That is right , i find it hard to beleive that legolas was born in the 1st age. I have a feeling the start of the 3rd and or 2nd ages. Sorry i can't look it up;) ;) :D . And i couldn't look up how to spell cuiviénen. LOL Thanks Pontifex.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Cirdan was about 2000 years older then Galadriel. HoME X : Morgoth's Ring....gives a chronological list of the years of the trees and the First Age.

Though I don't have my book here with me and I am probably a bit off from the actual dates it gives, it does not mention the birth of Cirdan or that he was one of the awoken but that he was the lord of the Teleri by the shores (around 1139 of the year of the trees) Gladriel was born around 1280+ of the year of the trees. Considering that each year of the trees was in Valian years (1 Valian year = 1 solar year) that would put Cirdan around 1500 years old by the time that Galadriel was born....If he was already lord by that time, my guess was that he was born long before that.

Keep in mind that even though Glorfindel was from the First Age, he was reincarnated so chronologically, his body wouldn't be as old as Galadriel or Cirdan.

Bucky

Reaction score
That's if T.A. Glorfindel was the same as F.A. Glorfindel.

I believe that was still in debate in Tolkien's own view, no?

And, I don't think being sent back from the dead in a new or re-incarnated body would make Glorfindel T.A. (Third Age) 'younger', as it's the same spirit or invisible life force as the F.A. Glorfindel had.

Cirdan is definitely ther oldest.

Glorfindel, even if there are 2 different guys, had to be born in (or dwelt in) The Blessed Realm, as he is a High Elf who had seen the light of the 2 Trees. That's what gave him power against the Nazgul, remember?

Elrond was born 55 years before the end of the F.A.
BTW- don't look this up:
Who 'fostered' Elrond & Elros (easy one, I know)?

On Legolas, all that I know is his old man is the Elven King (Thradruil) & I believe he was Sindarian & went among the Dark Elves & became King (Like Galadriel & Celeborn).

I get the impression Legolas was born in the 3rd Age, as when Elrond gives his description of The Last Alliance, Legolas doesn't add "Yeah, that was something. You should've seen Elendil & Gil-Galad", yet we know Legolas's father was there.

H

Harad

I'd like some evidence that Cirdan was older than my all-time fav, Glorfindel. He was a High Elf same as Galadriel and Cirdan.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
I'd like some evidence that Cirdan was older than my all-time fav, Glorfindel. He was a High Elf same as Galadriel and Cirdan.

ahhhmm buddy Cirdan isn't a high elf he never went to Aman and glorfindel was born there. Look earlier in the post 4 proof. Cirdan was a lord of his own province before the other elves got settled in in valinor. He was an unmanyar an elf not of aman. The high elves were noldor like feanor, finrod,fingolfin, galadriel, gil-galad.;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
H

Harad

ahem, pal, is that supposed to be proof that he's older than Glorfindel?

H

Harad

I think that's right. I dont know what came over me when I typed that.

Now..Who was older? Or is this "Who do we imagine was older?" given absolutely no evidence?

H

Harad

Cirdan was a Telerin Elf that never went to Valinor. So we know that he was older than any Elf born in Valinor. However I can not find any evidence that Glorfindel or Galadriel, both Noldur, were not also alive at the time of Cirdan, sailed to Valinor, then returned. In the absence of evidence that Galadriel or Glorfindel were born in Valinor, how can one conclude that Cirdan is older?

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
Cirdan was a Telerin Elf that never went to Valinor. So we know that he was older than any Elf born in Valinor. However I can not find any evidence that Glorfindel or Galadriel, both Noldur, were not also alive at the time of Cirdan, sailed to Valinor, then returned. In the absence of evidence that Galadriel or Glorfindel were born in Valinor, how can one conclude that Cirdan is older?
Cirdan was definitely older then Galadriel.. Morgoth's Ring has Cirdan frolicking around the shores of Beleriand as the lord of the Teleri there almost 1500+ years before the mention of Galadriel being born.

My guess is that Cirdan (if not one of the original elves that awoke) was born within 500-700 years after the elves awoke. his first mention was around 1139 of the year of the trees. The elves awoke in 1050 (that's less then 800 years to the mention of Cirdan, already established as a lord, never mind when he was born)

Glorfindel's exact age is unknown. But he seems more like a grunt of the First Age then any ancient elf with high status. More time is given to Fingolfin, Turgon, Finwe, Finarfin and Feanor. More time is even given to Galadriel then Glorfindel and Cirdan is much older than Galadriel. If Glorfindel was much older then Cirdan, you would think he would have had a bit more of a higher status in the realm of ME (like Finwe and Thingol) That might be a fickle argument, judging status by age, but I would still bank that Cirdan is older.

Last edited:

Ståle

Reaction score
Just because Glorfindel is golden-haired it doesn't mean he is of the House of Finarfin. The Vanyar also had golden hair. Though few(if any) of the Vanyar went into Exile.

Thread suggestions