🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who is your favorite character?

Aldarion

Reaction score
Either Beorn or Smaug. I don't know why, I typically like secondary / supporting characters much more than protagonists. And both Beorn and Smaug first scare sh*t out of protagonists, and then reveal intellectual side - without losing any of their scariness.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
Confusion reigns here, it seems. Neither Tom nor Turin appear in the book in question.

As for Sauron, he "appears" -- sort of -- as the Necromancer, but wasn't, at the time, connected in Tolkien's mind with the Dark Lord, so you could say that, in the "world" of The Hobbit, he didn’t exist.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Gandalf (anybody surprised?) ;)

Though I simply can’t view Gandalf as portrayed in TH in isolation. As probably with many if not most people, I first read LoTR, in the German translation at age 27, the original at almost 30. TH definitely came later, so I already had some kind of LoTR “picture” of Gandalf lodged in my mind by then. Nowadays, I automatically see Sir Ian McKellen when reading anything about Gandalf. I think McKellen nailed his character more perfectly (though perhaps not by much) than any of the others – and probably often despite PJ.

A side note: I once saw an interesting take of what one could call “The Ring Saga”: a boxed set (paperbacks, I think) with seven books in it. TH as book 1, and the others the six books as defined by JRRT himself, rather than the three volumes as first published for well-known reasons.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
No, I never was much of a radio buff, except for around 1973/74, when I listened to the "American Top 40" hosted by "Wolfman" Jack on Sunday evenings, with headphones on the radio of my dad's "stereo system" (he wasn't much of a hi-fi freak, as one said then) while my parents watched TV. And in college, when I didn't have a TV. I'm more of a visual guy (I used to joke that to make sure I did something that someone asked / told me to do, I'd have to write it down - but after having written it down and read it, I could throw the note away, as now I could remember it). But that said, I guess it might irritate me if I heard a voice that wasn't Sir Ian McKellen's doing Gandalf ...

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
They have similar "styles", I'd say.

The adaptation follows the book far more closely, though they too left out TB and the Barrow-downs. They did include Maggot's farm and Crickhollow. And Glorfindel!

I will say I can listen without gritting my teeth -- something I can't say about the movies.

BTW, the method I mentioned on another thread, cutting to the scene of the action during the Council of Elrond, was used very effectively.

The cast included a number of accomplished stage and film actors. Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in the films, played Frodo in this.

My favorite way to listen to the CD's is in the dark -- an episode nightly while in bed.

Last edited:

Rilien

Reaction score
Have you ever listened to the BBC Radio version of LOTR ? (1978, I think). Michael Hordern made an excellent Gandalf.

Still my favorite dramatic adaptation.
Yes! I thought it was 1980-ish though. I distinctly remember tuning in to hear it when it was first broadcast. I was so excited, I had my copy of the Fellowship of the Ring in my hands, ready to follow along, haha.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Reaction score
I think you're right. Wiki says broadcast 81, I believe.

Hah. I remember when it was rebroadcast, I taped it. One night, I had to leave right after it began, so I turned the sound down, but left it on. My roommate came home, thought I'd forgotten to turn the radio off, so did it himself. Aaargh!

Last edited:

grendel

Reaction score
My favorite character in The Hobbit is Beorn. Very interesting guy with not nearly enough backstory.

If we're expanding to LotR (as seems to be the rule), it would be Sauron. I tend to be fascinated by the bad guys (you can probably tell by my user name). When I had read LotR and not yet glommed onto the Simarillion and learned all about the First and Second Ages, I wondered... who IS this guy? Why is he so evil?

Thread suggestions