🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Who were the Nine?

4th Age Scribe

Reaction score
Who were the nine lords of men to whom Sauron gave the Rings of Power? Are their histories (as living men) chronicled, or is this knowledge beyond the text?

Most all the other ring bearers are accounted for in the books (except a few of the dwarven lords). I recall no mention of the identities of the Naz'gul.

Indeed, since it only makes sense to give the rings to the most powerful of leaders, or lords of the races he (Sauron) intends to control, there should be some mention of these great kings and lords of men?

Were any of these men from Numenor? Those would be the first men (of that age) whom I would "grace" with controlling rings.

(I'm relying on my memory from 10 years ago, though I've perused the books 12 times.)

Last edited:

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
I don't think the nine mortals are explicitly mentioned in the LotR or the Silmarillion...

... and welcome to this forum :)

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not think that there is a detailed history of the Nine in Tolkien's books although that is one for Cian. Of the Nine it is said that Three were of Numenorian race. That is as far as i can help.

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I will add that one was the Witch King of Angmar, who you can read a little about in the appendixes..... that's all I know, the more knowing members can elaborate. :)

Centin

Reaction score
Lost tales

I'm sure there's something about them in Unfinished Tales or Lost Tales 1/2.

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
There is one who is named.. Khamûl the Easterling.. (Hope I spelled it right this time..) He was second in comand, among the Nazgul, after the Witchking..

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Didn't most of the race of Numenor turn evil and try to attack the western lands of Eru? (forgotten the name...oops). I thought that most if not all the men were from Numenor.

Am open to correction on this......

Where is the mighty hammer Grond, he knows this sort of stuff.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Khamûl the Easterling was second, and the Witch-king of Angmar was #1, which is the one Éowyn and Merry kills. I dont think the others are named, but were probably great lords of the Numenorean settlements all along the southern coast of Middle Earth, and possibly the leaders of both Khand, and Harad as well. Its my guess and so I have no literary proof of this.

And I understand the none at the time of the search for the Ring had not the nine, but were enslaved to them, and Sauron held them.

Wynston

Reaction score
I can't remember where I read this, but I know that some of the nine were Black Numenoreans, and some were other kings of the south that were already hostile to Gondor.

Thread suggestions