🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Why did Tolkien abandon Tevildo and his cat army?

Reaction score
Managed to find Beren and Lúthien in the library! My little daughter was throwing a tantrum so I thought I would just pick the first book that doesn't look stupid and leave. And just as I decided it I saw Beren and Lúthien! It was a miracle lol.
So now I'm reading it and it's so interesting how the story has evolved over time. But it doesn't explain why did Tolkien abandon some characters. For example why did the cats have to go? And what about Thû?

Rothinzilyn87

Reaction score
I think Tolkien thought that some characters don't need, or because they aren't have many record Christoper Tolkien except them in Silmarillion. In addition, Thu is the earliest name of Sauron.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Maybe JRRT also felt that with the Tevildo stuff he was getting too dep into Aesop's animal fable territory (Huan is also very "gabby" in this version of the tale, while he later only speaks three times on special occasions).

ArwenStar

Reaction score
Jrrt probably though it was excessive and that it deducted from the story line. Phaps it was cause they didn’t fit???????????

Olorgando

Reaction score
The point has come up elsewhere on TTF: the cat video "plague" on the Internet!
But, but, but … how likely is it that JRRT would have found anything about the Internet positive?
I have my serious doubts.
So maybe he was clairvoyant here, and as Tevildo and his pride appeared in early versions of Beren & Lúthien, the story most dear to his heart, any vision of these (big!) cats being sent through the "cute kitty sausage machine" of the Internet could have led him to utter an extremely un-Tolkienian (as far as we know) comment of "§$%&@€µ# that!!!!!"
And Sauron.

Thread suggestions