Why didn't Lúthien overthrow Morgoth?

Discussion in '"The Silmarillion"' started by Nameless Thing, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Nameless Thing

Nameless Thing Member

She was so powerful that she managed to get a silmaril just with the help of a man and a dog. I don't think she could have killed Morgoth on the spot, but what about with the help of an army and Melian?

Elros Tar-Minyatur likes this.
  2. Erestor Arcamen

Erestor Arcamen Archivist Staff Member

Home Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheTolkienForumPage/
    By the end of Morgoth's rein, it took an entire army and the destruction of Beleriand to do it so I really doubt that she'd have been able to take him out.

3. Elros Tar-Minyatur

Elros Tar-Minyatur New Member

Although Lúthien could have been instrumental in a possible ambush of Morgoth, I think she was just there to get the Silmaril to be free to love Beren. She really was just thinking about their future together and not the future of both of their races which could have been more helpful in the long run, but Beren and Lúthien were blind with love. This attaining of the Silmaril can be compared to Elrond requiring Aragorn to first win the War and become King before he could have Elrond's daughter's hand in marriage. Aragorn obviously wanted to vanquish Sauron and all his evil works, but also he knew that if he could accomplish these things he could also be with the love of his life forever. So, in the end it is not the needs of the world that come first in the minds of these lovers, but the needs of the ones they love the most.

4. Miguel

Miguel Active Member

Beren was living A NIGHTMARE before he finds Luthien. Also, the recovering of one of the jewels proved that the Master of Lies could be tricked and punished without combat the same way he used trickery and deceit for ages. I believe this inspired Maedhros to attack him, but the attack was military and disastrous. This were really dark times, so i think Beren finding Luthien like that was a very unusual event.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019