🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Why don't immortals fade when they have a ring of power?

Fëanor_7

Oathbound Noldo
Reaction score
Gandalf tells Frodo that when mortals have a ring of power they do not die, but also do not gain any more life. (in the chapter 'Shadows of the Past')

Why isn't this the case for immortals, what happens to them instead?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I'm not sure who you're referring to. If the Elves, who are not "immortal", but rather coterminous with the existence of Arda, the Rings were made by them, for their use. The implications have been cause for much discussion here, over the years; I recommend a troll through earlier pages on this forum. Here I'll just say that in Middle Earth, at least, all the Elves are doomed to "fade". That is one of the reasons for their leaving it.

If you're talking about the Ainur, I doubt anything could make them fade; their physical forms were created by (or for) them. This is not so say the Rings would not have other effects, as we see from Gandalf.

Fëanor_7

Oathbound Noldo
Reaction score
Right, it was primarily the Ainur I was interested in, but I broadened the question just to see if I could find anything else out. Thanks for the answer.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Sure. If I had time, I'd search out some of those threads for you -- but you'll have more fun here if you go looking -- you'll find yourself turning up lots of interesting stuff! :D

Thread suggestions