🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Why The lord of the rings??

Talarion

They're thieves!
Reaction score
I kinda got interested because of my brother. I guess it was the summer of seventh grade and my brother had to read the Hobbit for school. I was a good writer so my brother came to me asking if I could help him on his report. He did not buy the book but bought the audio cassettes for a trip we took that summer. I did not feel like listening to the book so I went and bought the book and read it all during the trip. I really enjoyed the book and I found it very entertaining. I did not know about The Lord of the Rings until a year later and I was lucky to receive a boxed set of all three for Christmas :D That was a good present. I immediatly began to read them and have read them... countless number of times. I have yet to read Silmarillon mostly because I have not seen the book. But I came across it the other day... unfortunately I forgot my wallet but I will purchase it one of these days.

Diabless

Reaction score
What got me into them?

What point did I start Tolkiening?
You can read this or just read the last part:

I read The Hobbit in about the 5th grade. I then started on FOTR. I had seen a few guys reading it and I knew it was supposed to be really good. I don't know if I did it to impress this guy Sam, possibly, but I remember buying them in a booksale in 5th grade. I remember that very well. It took me about a year to read! I was defeated. Periodically, for five years after, I would look at TTT, reading the 1st page and then putting it down and grabbing a Teen People magazine or something.

It's funny though, the only thing I really remember about fifth grade is LOTR since it took me the whole year. I had nightmares about the Nazgul I remember, also. But all of the people and places seemes far off and I think I never quite understoood anything. Maybe I did not even finish it! I can't remember that actually.

Then last year in December I saw the trailer for the movie and got really excited. I decided to tackle TTT before FOTR came out in the movies. It was quite magical when I read TTT. All these people and places came back to me but when there were references to FOTR I was like, what? (ex: Frodo not teling Faramir about how Boromir attacked him or who The Lady of the Wood was)

Then I saw the I saw FOTR and I kept on thinking that did not happen! I decides I should def. re-read FOTR. I did and I realized that did happen! Then I read ROTK.

I am now re-reading them
1) Now that I know the plot, I can pay attention to details and especially beautiful writing (which I underline)

2) I want to be prepared for the Sil

3) I want to read them all in order as they should be read

Originally posted by Rushlight:
Sometimes I think those books are what actually got me through those tough high school years. It was such a wonderful way to escape.

Yes, I agree. They are my escape from a busy life, though they and this forum add to it.:D

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
When I was about 13, I read in a book about fantasy novels that 'most of them are just sad derivatives from the Lord of the Rings'. Before that I had never heard of it, but then I wanted to read it. Somehow I just didn't get to it, until a year later when I found out that my mum owned a copy herself that had been sitting on a bookshelf for 30 years! So then I read it immediately, first in Dutch and later I bought an English copy which I have read about five times now.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
I read The Hobbit when it was recommended to me by the school librarian when I was in what was then called Elementary School. This was about 1960/1961 (yes, I expect you will start calling me Methuselah now). I immediately tried to get my hands on LOTR, but in those days in the US it wasn't easy. The books were out of print and were always checked out of the Public Library, even the main branch. (I found out years later that there was a small group of Tolkien fanatics who told each other when they were returning the books to the library, so that another one could immediately take them out again. :) ) In late-1964/early-1965 I came across the Ace Books unauthorized paperback editions on a rack at a newstand and snatched them up instantly! I still have those dog-eared paperbacks. I also have hardcover versions of the First Edition that were reissued by Houghton Mifflin in the mid-1960's as well as second editions. I have long since lost count of the number of times I have read LOTR in the years since.

Legolas_The Elf

Reaction score
Well, I really wasn´t interested on Readin The hobbit or LoTr I thought it waz really a boring but boring book...I waz looking once in my dad´s bookshelf and foun the TTT and ROTK but then I saw those were part two and three,and asked myself...were the heck is the first part..I found it in my brother´s room thrown on the bed as if nothing...But I didnt even cared..I hated reading by that time..Well, when I went on vacation to Netherlands I saw he had the boo FOTR i was like..Maybe its cool...maybe I read it when I come back home (I didnt want to read in vacation)Well then I saw The hobbit on aanother bookshelf and I waz like..WOW¡¡¡I liked the pictuer I thougt it waz interesting and began reading it..Well that waz when I saw LOTR for about 10 times in a row..My whole family waz jelous cause i waz reading it...As u see Im kinda new reading the books..Well I think it all started that way..that book really changed my life..:D :D :D :D :D

G

greypilgrim

My aunt got me THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA when i was a kid, like 11 or 12. Then later she gave me the Lord of the Rings set with the Hobbit.
I still have both boxed sets, plus a hardbound edition with FOTR, TTT, ROTK. The SILL i just bought and read for the first time.(boy am i gonna have to read that one again)
My nephews (9 and 12) will be getting these books in the same order.

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
I did read some of the Coronicles on Narnia, but anyway, my story started like this: In 6th grade (I'm now in 9th) a friend of mine was reading the LotR seris, I looked ok so I read the first couple of chapters in The Hobbit, but left it because I was stupid!!!!!!!!!!! I guess you could say the movie got me into it. I read the FotR shortly after I saw the movie then finally got TT and I'm currently reading it now. It Rocks!

Elu Thingol

Lord of the Sindar
Reaction score
I read the Hobbit in about 3rd grade and thought it was the most wonderful book I had ever read. Then a couple years later my Uncle Frank told me that the Hobbit was nothing compared the LOTR. I didn't believe him:) I thought nothing could possibly be better than the hobbit. Then in 6th grade I found an old set of LOTR that my dad had purchased while he was in college. So I decided to read the books. I read about half way through FOTR and then stopped, and decided it was boring and that I was correct in assuming that the Hobbit was better. However, about a year later I started reading LOTR again from the start and went through the books like lightning!:) They were the best things I have ever read or ever will read!

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Well, some 15 years ago I got LotR as a birthday gift. The relative that gave it to me had never read it, she just knew that I love to read. So, she gave it to me, but it was incomplete... and very weird! In the translated edition I got, the 6 books were printed separately, and I got books 1,3,4 and 6! Being an avid reader, I couldn't wait to get the missing 2 books, and so had to deduce a lot. Who was Boromir?!! Where was Gandalf?!! And things like that. Then, of course, I got the whole book, some 20-30 readings ago (I lost count). I used it to learn english, since I already knew the words by heart, and then used it to get a grip on French. I'll soon try it on other languages...

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Well, I read the Hobbit when I was around 8 years old, and I loved it to bits.
A friend of mine was reading the Lord of the Rings, I think it was in fifth grade, and I decided I'd read it too. But I was way too young to really get anything out of it (and I think he was too), but unlike my friend I tried again a couple of years later; and I read it three times in two months or so. The copy I read it from was my mother's graduation present, with all three parts in one; it's falling apart now, but if it endures it'll be an heirloom of my family! ;)
Then I began to search for other works by Tolkien, and I bought the Silmarillion. I was 12 at the time, so it seemed very strange and confusing at first (esp. the Ainulindalë), and at the end I was quite lost. I sought solace in the simple and entertaining Hobbit, and after that I began the LotR again -- this time it tok me over seven months to read it. I read it on and off, and as I recall I didn't finish it then. But then (at the age of 13) I read the Silmarillion, and this time almost everything was clear.
Then I kept on reading the Tolkien-books I had, reading more and more into the history and the languages, and it dawned on me to get Unfinished Tales. This gave me a lot of backup knowledge, and it is even today one of my favorite books by JRRT.
I first joined the original TTF when I had only recently re-read the LotR, but uickly learned more from the people there.
And there we have it. I know posess the LotR, the Hobbit, the Sil, UT, HoME 5, 9 and 10, the Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-Earth, the Complete Guide to Middle-Earth (by Robert Foster), An Introduction to Elvish and The Languages of Middle-Earth (which is not great). :)

falcolite

Reaction score
For me, it happened by chance.

I was walking home from school on afternoon, when a garage-sale came across my path. I stopped by, always being fasinated by others junk, and saw FotR, laying there by its self for 50cents. Well of course I bought it, not having a clue what it was about, cause of the way the cover and the backing didn't give any hints. I came home, and set it aside. It was a good 3 weeks before I got to it, and from there on I was hooked. I finished it and saw at the ending how to journey continues in TTT. Well shortly after finishing it, I went to my local library to see if they had TTT and RotK. The librarian there said that they didn't (which really stumps me now why they didn't), but she had the Hobbit. So I took that home, and read it. I was in Grade 7 at the time of this. It was not until about a year and a half ago, (2 years later), that I saw on the internet that they were making the movies. I immediatly seeked the other two books, and finished them quickly. Since then I have read the Sil, and parts of UT. Im still learning lots, but know quite more than I ever expected from a book to contain. Lord of the Rings has basically taught me many lessons, and I almost use it as a bible, in a sence.

pohuist

Ignorant Loremaster
Reaction score
I read the Hobbit when I was 5, and then again when I was 15. The LOTR was mentioned on the cover, and ever since I tried to get my hands on the copy. I finally succeeded a couple of years later. That was a long time ago, and I lost count how many times I read it. I then read the Sil and some of HoME. I have to be thankful to the movie for the resurgence of the intrest to Tolkien b/c the UT was long out of print and I couldn't find it anywhere. But after the movie the publisahers 'woke up' and I was able to get my copy last year.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Summer last year I occasionally bought a copy as a birthday-present for my son. I decided to have a peek but I found the german translation lousy. Out of curiousity I bought me an english copy last autumn and got hooked pretty soon... ;)

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Years ago, before the Space Shuttle ever flew, Zimbabwe was still called Rhodesia, and the only presidential scandal was Gerald bouncing golfballs of the gallery; my Weird Uncle gave me my very first copy of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. I have long since acquired new copies, but these tired, dog-eared tomes still hold a place of honor in my library.

Sadly, my Uncle has passed beyond the veil and I have taken up the mantle of "Weird Uncle". Since his passing, I present all the children of friends and relatives a copy of the Hobbit at the age of nine; and the Lord of the Rings at age ten.

And I have never been disappointed.

RD

Malbeth

Reaction score
Eriol read Hobbit and LOTR for me when I was about 8 and he was about 13... I liked to read then, but only comic books, he's the one who got me hooked into books... like him I have read them so many times I've lost count (it's between 20 and 30 too)... now, 15 years later, he's doing the same to our sister:) dangerous peddler of good literature is eriol...

Feanorian

Reaction score
Older brothers are of some good use, thats how i got into The Hobbit and LOTR. My brother and all his friends would read them and talk about them and they even formed their own Fellowship....each member having a spot in the Fellowship. Since then I have surpassed every one of them numerous times as far as depth and amount of books by Tolkien. I think the most they progressed was the Sil. So appropriately i was doned Elrond.

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Hmm..... For me I was looking desperately for a 6th grade book to read for my book report... The mother of myself brought me up here, and got a little box of books out from underneath the desk. The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King. I only read the Hobbit at first.

Then, come next year, they come out with these movie's and im SO phsyced up to see them. I join this forum and learn how many inconsistancies there are in the movies, and am just so compelled to read the books.. that Vwala! I read tLotR!

Varda

Reaction score
Older brothers are useful. I love to read, so I decided to read all the books in my brother's bookcase and the first ones I found were the Hobbit and LotR. I loved them! Later I learned that my mom had borrowed them from a friend at school but never gave them back. I feel sorry for that guy ;) Anyway, when the movie came out, I decided to reread them and did so twice and later found the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Good stuff.

V

Veramir

Hey! Well my Dad introduced me to the Hobbit. I always used to see a copy of it lying around at primary school, it was just a plain cover with a mountain and a dragon on it and i never thought much of it until my dad bought me my own copy and i sat and read it. I was about 9 i think. Anyways i read The Hobbit twice that year and then when i was 11 my dad gave me the three LOTR books and i took Fellowship away with me on camp with school and i remember i got up to 'The Council Of Elrond' and never picked the book up again (i thought that chapter was really hard to understand back then!). I never thought about the book again untill news of the film started to circulate so i thought 'i know, let's give the book another shot' so i did! i was 16 then and i intend to read it again as soon as i have finnished the Sil...
There's my story...
Carry on!
~V~

Thread suggestions